Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lengthwise)
    Received my offer today. Castle Leazes, Catered. I'm not happy at all, because for reasons that I don't particularly want to go into, I simply won't be able to live in catered accommodation. It sucks, I was so excited to go to Newcastle University. The course is absolutely perfect for me, and now since receiving the e-mail saying that I have been offered catered accommodation, I have actually considered withdrawing from the university.

So yeah, has anyone got any advice? Will I be able to swap with rooms with somebody, or am I just screwed?
    You do realise being in catered doesn't mean you have to eat there right? I'm pretty sure i heard Leazes has some cooking facilities you can use to make your own food.
    Though if it's the cost which is stopping you, i'm not sure what you can do other than ringing the uni and explaining.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hoonosewot)
    You do realise being in catered doesn't mean you have to eat there right? I'm pretty sure i heard Leazes has some cooking facilities you can use to make your own food.
    Though if it's the cost which is stopping you, i'm not sure what you can do other than ringing the uni and explaining.
    Yeah, that's the thing, I just won't be able to afford it. I'm gonna give them a ring tomorrow and see what they say. I've kinda got over the initial horror that it gave me at first now, so if the worst comes to the worst, it looks like I'm just gonna have to do that.

ReputationRep:
    There's quite a few people who want to swap their accommodation in general. You could try posting a message on one of the hundreds of Newcs 09 Facebook groups.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smash and grab)
    There's quite a few people who want to swap their accommodation in general. You could try posting a message on one of the hundreds of Newcs 09 Facebook groups.
    How does the whole accommodation swapping thing work though? I mean, obviously it has to be approved by the university, so is there a chance that they just won't allow it?

ReputationRep:
    Im also in Castle Leazes catered. But that is what i wanted. It does seem as if loads of people are getting leazes when they dont want to.

A couple of friends from Sixth Form are in the same situation, but they are in the new self-catered blocks on site.

Maybe you should ask if you have been put in them??? Or if not, ask why the hell they have (very unfairly) dumped you in catered when it bangs another 1000 on your loan.

hope it all works out for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lengthwise)
    How does the whole accommodation swapping thing work though? I mean, obviously it has to be approved by the university, so is there a chance that they just won't allow it?
    If you find someone to swap with, then you'll both have to go to the accomodation office when you get there and have got your own keys etc, and they will sort it out from there - no reason why they shouldnt allow it if you both are happy to swap i dont think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jay019)
    Richardson Road - Room 3 Flat 11C
    I'm in your flat! http://www.facebook.com/kathryn.wrightson

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.