Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Basically...

for the last few months i've been considering doing an economics and french degree. however recently its really started to dawn on me that economics may not be the subject for me...

i havnt had the oppotunity to study economics at my sixth form because it isnt offered. The idea of doing a subject LIKE economics without the A level scares me, esp since its meant to be a VERY hard disipline. I was drawn to Economics because it contains all of the aspects of geography that i am interested in, such as globalisation and world trade etc (macroeconomics seems interesting).

Im at a stage now where im beginning to write my personal statement, and naturally I find myself writing about GEOGRAPHY more than economics, since this is what im doing at A level. Im also doing Maths A level, and i think iv got a B so far in the AS so i rekon the econometrics side of economics i would be ok at.

So, to cut to the chase lol...
    i feel really tempted to study a Geography and French degree now.
    i think id prefer geography more than economics. it just seems much more of a safer option for me.
    i've looked at the unis that offer Geography and French and they dont seem THAT great (from what im seen so far) so geography with a year abroad in france is a consideration.

I know economics is much more highly thought of than geography, and im worried about employment prospects with a Geograhy and French degree. Im really confused as what to do... take the plunge with economics, or play it safe.

HELP

ReputationRep:
    ANY feedback would be much appreciated !
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by matt_wf)
    Basically...

for the last few months i've been considering doing an economics and french degree. however recently its really started to dawn on me that economics may not be the subject for me...

i havnt had the oppotunity to study economics at my sixth form because it isnt offered. The idea of doing a subject LIKE economics without the A level scares me, esp since its meant to be a VERY hard disipline. I was drawn to Economics because it contains all of the aspects of geography that i am interested in, such as globalisation and world trade etc (macroeconomics seems interesting).

Im at a stage now where im beginning to write my personal statement, and naturally I find myself writing about GEOGRAPHY more than economics, since this is what im doing at A level. Im also doing Maths A level, and i think iv got a B so far in the AS so i rekon the econometrics side of economics i would be ok at.

So, to cut to the chase lol...
    i feel really tempted to study a Geography and French degree now.
    i think id prefer geography more than economics. it just seems much more of a safer option for me.
    i've looked at the unis that offer Geography and French and they dont seem THAT great (from what im seen so far) so geography with a year abroad in france is a consideration.

I know economics is much more highly thought of than geography, and im worried about employment prospects with a Geograhy and French degree. Im really confused as what to do... take the plunge with economics, or play it safe.

HELP
    what carrer do you want to go into?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The-Wi$e-One)
    what carrer do you want to go into?
    in all honesty, no idea.
    most likely business of some sort. 9 - 5 in an office messing with finances sounds awful imo. id like to comute and travel places - one of many reasons im keeping french on
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    well you could do a maths degree.

a geograpy degree may be helpful for stuff like mapping, i cant really think of much else. economics sounds like quite a rounded degree. at the end of the day tho you need to decide on a carrer path and take a degree to fit that.

ReputationRep:
    A bit of a no-brainer for me. You obviously have a greater affection for geography; and it is likely that you will excel most at what you enjoy. You're going to spend 3/4 years of your life on this course, so make sure it's something you're actually passionate about. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    No offence (but the truth), but if you haven't done Economics, are going to get a B in AS Level Maths and are predicted less than an A in A Level Maths, you will find getting Economics offers tough from the top unis. Economics isn't necessary, but if all things are equal (GCSE grades, A Level predictions, quality of PS etc.), someone doing Economics at A Level will be favoured over you unfortunately. Economics is very quantitative at a top uni, so bear this in mind.

Some universities (eg. Warwick) offer language options in the second and third years, including French. You may want to consider that.

You're right that employment prospects will be better for Economics than Geography, but it is more important you do something you enjoy. Geography at Durham/Bristol/UCL is still very respectable. However, I suppose the predicament you're in is that you don't know what you'll enjoy...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Well, if you find yourself continually writing about geography and feel it's more the subject for you, then go for it. To be honest, by the sounds of it, you're more interested in human geography than economics (and even though there are similarities, you'll still have to do a lot of statistics/econometrics and microeconomics if you choose economics).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The-Wi$e-One)
    well you could do a maths degree.

a geograpy degree may be helpful for stuff like mapping, i cant really think of much else. economics sounds like quite a rounded degree. at the end of the day tho you need to decide on a carrer path and take a degree to fit that.

oh noo, iv had a taster of A2 maths already, and thats hard enough nvm a degree in it!!

well with geography you can go into cartography (mapping) ye, also transport management. i find the airline industry fascinating, but i doubt geography is ESSENTIAL for anything. As long as its an academic degree you do well in, i get the impression employers arent TOO fussed? :/ besides, loads of people go to uni with no solid career in mind

ReputationRep:
    There is of course always the option to do a conversion course to law or business after your degree and then it dosen't matter what degree you did

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)
    No offence (but the truth), but if you haven't done Economics, are going to get a B in AS Level Maths and are predicted less than an A in A Level Maths, you will find getting Economics offers tough from the top unis. Economics isn't necessary, but if all things are equal (GCSE grades, A Level predictions, quality of PS etc.), someone doing Economics at A Level will be favoured over you unfortunately. Economics is very quantitative at a top uni, so bear this in mind.

Some universities (eg. Warwick) offer language options in the second and third years, including French. You may want to consider that.

You're right that employment prospects will be better for Economics than Geography, but it is more important you do something you enjoy. Geography at Durham/Bristol/UCL is still very respectable. However, I suppose the predicament you're in is that you don't know what you'll enjoy...
    ye i completely agree with you about what you said about not having economics A level.
    Do you think my employment prospects would be any greater if i did a joint honours with a foreign language / had a year abroad in Europe??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .ACS.)
    Well, if you find yourself continually writing about geography and feel it's more the subject for you, then go for it. To be honest, by the sounds of it, you're more interested in human geography than economics (and even though there are similarities, you'll still have to do a lot of statistics/econometrics and microeconomics if you choose economics).
    see, i fear that my GENUINE interest in human geography isnt enough to do an economics degree :/

ReputationRep:
    ye i completely agree with you about what you said about not having economics A level.
    Do you think my employment prospects would be any greater if i did a joint honours with a foreign language / had a year abroad in Europe??
    Depends what you did in Europe, but yes, the more experience you gain, the more employers will favour you :yes:

This is a massive generalisation, but employers generally speaking prefer people who've done single honours degrees in just one subject instead of two. Harder to get offers too from JUST Economics or JUST Geography. But like I say, there are options to take language modules at some unis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)
    Depends what you did in Europe, but yes, the more experience you gain, the more employers will favour you :yes:

This is a massive generalisation, but employers generally speaking prefer people who've done single honours degrees in just one subject instead of two. Harder to get offers too from JUST Economics or JUST Geography. But like I say, there are options to take language modules at some unis.
    so are you saying this may be a good consideration...
    http://www.manchester.ac.uk/undergra...se/?code=08208

ReputationRep:
    Any course that has a gap between 2nd and 3rd year is a good idea...and doing a joint will certainly put you out there wen it comes to CV's

ReputationRep:
    http://www.exeter.ac.uk/undergraduat...eur/structure/
    http://www.undergraduate.bham.ac.uk/...hy-joint.shtml

?? any help?
    both good universities =] seem to offer what you're looking for with ok entry requirements.

similar courses at glasgow (but 5 years and ABB)
    queen mary http://www.qmul.ac.uk/courses/course...course_level=2
    St andrews

something to get you started atleast.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    see, i fear that my GENUINE interest in human geography isnt enough to do an economics degree :/
    Then why not simply do a geography degree?

Do you actually have a full understanding of what economics at university involves? I chose it because it is a varied discipline which genuinely interests me. It includes obviously economic theory, but also statistics, mathematics, politics, law, and obviously overlaps with human geography in certain places (especially macroeconomic policy, international trade, development and labour economics).
    That said, there are aspects of economics which are nothing like human geography and very different, such as game and auction theory (which are highly mathematical), monopolies, industrial economics (the firm, etc.).

ReputationRep:
    Why not do Economics and Geography. I know LSE have this degree and probably some other unis too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toxic Tears)
    Why not do Economics and Geography. I know LSE have this degree and probably some other unis too.
    I really enjoy french and id love to spend a year abroad there and gain fluency so i can transfer my language skills to my career

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.