INCOME
    Loan - £4466
    Parents - £1800 (may be more)

TOTAL - £6266

OUTGOINGS
    Rent inc bills - £3360
    Bills inc phone and previous debt - £1800

TOTAL - £5160

Leaves me with £1106 over 12 months which is £20ish a week. But there are so many factors this will vary over the year, my bills are probably lower but can be higher, my parents may be giving me a bit more money, I'll have fewer bills to pay so my outgoings will drop, and I'm also accounting for 12 months as I'm renting and not in halls. Oh and the fact I haven't stopped working since I was 16 and don't intend to now, I'll be working too
    All in all I'm going to be fine!

ReputationRep:
    I was actually working this out the other day with my brother (who will be paying my way, along with my mother :o: )

So, after rent i'll be left with around £130 a week

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lm_wfc)
    i'm the same.
    I'm hoping praying for a job while i'm at uni too
    me too :rolleyes:

(Original post by vicky1990)
    Haha, same here!
    I'm sure we'll figure something out....
    I hope we do :eek: because ive just worked out that ill have precisley £12.75 per week ..if i even get a maintenence grant :eek:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by orionmoo)
    Are these people with only £30 a week the ones who get no maintenance grant from the government or something or is there some mysterious other expense other than accommodation which I don't know about because I'm getting the full loan and grants and I've just worked out i'll have about £150 a week... amidoinitrite?

Maintenance loan + £3497
    Maintenance grant + £2906
    Warwick Uni Scholorship + £1800
    Less accommodation - £3570
    Total = £4633 / 30 weeks = £154

That's why I don't understand how people only have £30 a week to live on, unless they're putting £100 a week away in to savings which they're including as well? OK a lot wont be getting the scholorship I am, but a lot of unis give £1000 scholorships, and even without any that's still £90 a week - 3x what some people are saying..
    Surely it's pretty obvious? Not everyone gets grants and scholarships, or accommodation that costs only £3570.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haylee7291)
    me too :rolleyes:

I hope we do :eek: because ive just worked out that ill have precisley £12.75 per week ..if i even get a maintenence grant :eek:
    Really?!
    Perhaps we'll have to live off one bar of dairy milk, eating half a piece a day?! Either that will work or someone richer will see us and take pity?! :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Are these people with only £30 a week the ones who get no maintenance grant from the government or something or is there some mysterious other expense other than accommodation which I don't know about because I'm getting the full loan and grants and I've just worked out i'll have about £150 a week... amidoinitrite?

Maintenance loan + £3497

That's why I don't understand how people only have £30 a week to live on, unless they're putting £100 a week away in to savings which they're including as well? OK a lot wont be getting the scholorship I am, but a lot of unis give £1000 scholorships, and even without any that's still £90 a week - 3x what some people are saying..
    because even if i only paid for your accomodation i would have MINUS a hundred or so pounds of my maintenance loan left for the whole year, and thats all i get from the government.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vicky1990)
    Really?!
    Perhaps we'll have to live off one bar of dairy milk, eating half a piece a day?! Either that will work or someone richer will see us and take pity?! :cool:
    pffftt.... It'll more likely be a 15p FREDDO and a 20p pack of spaceraiders a day

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by la fille danse)
    Surely it's pretty obvious? Not everyone gets grants and scholarships, or accommodation that costs only £3570.
    I thought that was quite expensive - it was compared to other universities when I was looking around last year. £119 a week! I guess most other universities make you pay for the holidays now as well whereas that's just for 30 weeks.

ReputationRep:

Maintenance loan + £3497

People who have parents earning over 60K but these parents aren't willing to give their kids any money towards uni?

Touchwood I'm going to Warwick too, and I'm not eligible for the grant or scholarship, and get the basic loan of 3564. My accommodation will be 3354, so then I have 210 pounds to last me the entire year for food etc, i.e. 7 pounds a week, lol.

Even after I sat and explained this to my parents, they were not intending to give me any money. They said "get a job, you need to be independent".

It was only when I got them speaking to my auntie and uncle, who give my cousin at cambridge 500 quid a month EXCLUDING food, that they decided to help me out! So now I'm going to get 300 pounds a month, giving me 84 pounds a week, which is more than fine and, if possible, I'd like to try to save some of that if it doesn't mean comprimising on being healthy and having a good time.

I've also got savings to fall back on, but I'm conscious that I might want to do a phd/ get a car/ get married/ get a house.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lady Justice)

Even after I sat and explained this to my parents, they were not intending to give me any money. They said "get a job, you need to be independent".
    To be fair to your parents, this is good attitude to have. Who wants to be dependent on their parents when they leave uni? Learning to be independent is important and part of the uni experience. Although, I admit it would be very tough on you.

I plan on getting a part-time job while I'm at uni and I've been trying hard to save money I'm earning from my current part-time job.

I'm glad to see that a lot of people manage on a weekly budget of about £60...I think this is what I'll be aiming for. But no way could I do this without a job!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lady Justice)
    People who have parents earning over 60K but these parents aren't willing to give their kids any money towards uni?

Touchwood I'm going to Warwick too, and I'm not eligible for the grant or scholarship, and get the basic loan of 3564. My accommodation will be 3354, so then I have 210 pounds to last me the entire year for food etc, i.e. 7 pounds a week, lol.

It was only when I got them speaking to my auntie and uncle, who give my cousin at cambridge 500 quid a month EXCLUDING food, that they decided to help me out! So now I'm going to get 300 pounds a month, giving me 84 pounds a week, which is more than fine and, if possible, I'd like to try to save some of that if it doesn't mean comprimising on being healthy and having a good time.

I've also got savings to fall back on, but I'm conscious that I might want to do a phd/ get a car/ get married/ get a house.
    Ah good luck to you

ReputationRep:
    Ok a rough breakdown of my spending over the entire 52 weeks of the year is something like this:

£25 food
    £18 bills
    £5 books, stationary, internet shopping etc!
    £10 clothes/going out
    £7 transport
    £90 rent

That's very roughly, and obv it varies quite considerably throughout the year and it isn't including things like birthdays, presents, laptops breaking etc etc
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I thought that was quite expensive - it was compared to other universities when I was looking around last year. £119 a week! I guess most other universities make you pay for the holidays now as well whereas that's just for 30 weeks.
    My accommodation was around £4700/£5000 a year (I stayed in halls for two years). You're right, most contracts are for 40 weeks.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not starting uni until 2010 but i have calculated what i can expect from the 09/10 figures.

This is if your parents/step/carers total income is £34,001-£40,000
    This is if your parents/step/carers total income is £30,000-£34,000

Tuition Fee is £3225 and the Tuition Loan covers that completely as it is £3225[/U] (non-payable until earning over 15,000)

Maintenence Loan = £4397
    Maintenence Grant = £1106 Total=£6001
    Long Course Loan = £498 (3 yrs)

My accommodation (if i get it) is self catering/en-suite £87.15 per week.
    £87.15 per week x 41 weeks = £3573.15

£6001 - £3573 = £2427.85

£2427 / 41 weeks = £59.2 for everything else like food,going out, toiletries, societies, and other stuff

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maintenence Loan = £3997
    Maintenence Grant = £1906 Total=£6401
    Long Course Loan = £498 (3 yrs)

My accommodation (if i get it) is self catering/en-suite £87.15 per week.
    £87.15 per week x 41 weeks = £3573.15

£6401 - £3573 = £2827.85

£2827.85 / 41 weeks = £68.9 for everything else like food,going out, toiletries, societies, and other stuff

HOPE THIS HELPS

Just change the amount per week for accommadation to suite you

Get the infoo from direct.gov

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oh snap!)
    Maintenence Grant = £1106 Total=£6001

why does your maintenence grant come to that ?? *EDIT ohhhh I see *
    isnt it £1106 for teh whole year?? :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oh snap!)
    Get the ifno from direct.gov
    how have you worked it out so that you get more maintenance loan/grant if your parents earn more?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elynnor1811)
    becuase i'm ill and i therefore receive quite a few benefits.
    I have an illness too - what is it that you receive the money for/ from if you don't mind me asking? I'm trying to get as much help for it as I can as I can't realistically work so am just wondering what options there are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OhNO!)
    how have you worked it out so that you get more maintenance loan/grant if your parents earn more?
    lol damn, ty i'll change it now:eek:

ReputationRep:
    How do people spend more then 30 quid a week on food??

I haven't had my final notification from Student Loans people yet, but using the Calculater online I have worked out it's gonna be about 30 quid. 15 for food and 15 for going out.

However, i will take 600 savings with me and hopefully i will get a part time job too, so this might be able to go up

ReputationRep:
    about 40 pound a day wwwk! coz we out out at restaurants every day!

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.