Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BillLionheart)
    the presence of the Newton Institute, the more stringent entry requirements....
    Should things like the Newton Institute even be taken into account when considering an undergraduate education? The most interaction between the institute and Cambs undergraduates that took place when I was there consisted of grumpily waiting for the latter to vacate a table in Wolfson Court at lunch time!

ReputationRep:
    No I think it is pretty much irrelevant to the undergraduate experience. However the location of it at Cambridge (which I must say is a dammed awkward place to get to) could be taken as recognition of Cambridge's dominant place in the UK mathematical landscape. Although of course Cambridge's generosity was also a factor too.

Punting is much more important.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BillLionheart)
    However the location of it at Cambridge (which I must say is a dammed awkward place to get to).
    Speak for yourself! Considering virtually everywhere apart from Cambridge and London is inconvenient for Norwich, I'm quite pleased with the location of the Newton Institute

Having said that, I admire Aberdeen's tendency to organize conferences on the Isle of Skye, which is more or less an inconvenience for everyone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smashing)
    I visited Bristol on Monday. Overall, I thought it was brilliant. Shame that some of the incredibly beautiful buildings are overshadowed by the buildings that are ugly as hell. Pretty much my only complaint. However, the tour wasn't specific to my subject and so I was wondering about the course. Pure maths, that is.

I'm yet to visit Warwick, but I hear it's either a love it or hate it place. The travel times to anywhere lively are a bit of a put off. However it does offer one of the best maths courses.

Opinions. Help? :rolleyes:
    Yes you should visit Maths.
    But before applying you should consider Warwicks policy of making very high offers to all applicants.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BJack)
    Debatable.
    That is the point of the question

(Original post by BJack)
    Irrelevant.
    In your opinion and in my opinion it is not because any experience of a university will affect your view

(Original post by BJack)
    Wrong.
    In your opinion. This is my belief and again this is a debate

(Original post by BJack)
    What is your personal experience?
    None of your business

(Original post by BJack)
    Wrong.
    I should just warn all viewers at this point that this debate may contain opinions.

(Original post by BJack)
    LOL
    Why are the entrance requirements not a sensible measure of the course's difficulty? Point taken about oxford interviews though.

(Original post by BJack)
    Wrong.
    Where other than Cambridge or Warwick is STEP a requirement? You are wrong.

(Original post by BJack)
    Wrong.
    I think you will find the entrance requirements for oxford are... 3As as I said before. This is clearly stated under the entrance requirements part of the oxford website.

http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/under...hematics_.html
    (Original post by BJack)
    Wrong.
    Doesnt necessarily follow I will give you that. However the quality of undergrad is very strong at Warwick. Perhaps not as strong as Oxford.

Perhaps you would like a towel Bjack? You have been rinsed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soundofsilence)
    None of your business
    It kind of is, since a central feature of part of your argument was that in your experience the quality of undergrads at Cambridge was far higher than those at Oxford.

For instance, if your experience consists of years in higher education, spent across a variety of institutions meeting and discussing maths with people from a wide range of academic backgrounds, and (importantly) is accompanied by the required knowledge of degree level mathematics to evaluate 'quality' amongst undergraduates, then yes your opinion may have some basis.

If, however, you haven't even started university yet, and your assessment is at best based on hearsay and preconception, then, well... I'm sure you can see where this is going and that it ends with people pointing, laughing, and saying unkind things about you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soundofsilence)
    In your opinion and in my opinion it is not because any experience of a university will affect your view
    You have no experience of Cambridge. You have only anecdotal evidence that you refuse to divulge, and your experience at interview. None of these gives you an insight into the actual course at Cambridge (let alone Oxford), so your experience is irrelevant.

In your opinion. This is my belief and again this is a debate
    Your opinion is ill-informed and incorrect. There's really nothing else to say.

Why are the entrance requirements not a sensible measure of the course's difficulty?
    Entrance requirements only tell you a candidate's minimum possible achievement.

Where other than Cambridge or Warwick is STEP a requirement? You are wrong. [...] I think you will find the entrance requirements for oxford are... 3As as I said before. This is clearly stated under the entrance requirements part of the oxford website.
    The first was wrong because Warwick doesn't require STEP; the second because Oxford maths doesn't use the TSA.

Perhaps you would like a towel Bjack? You have been rinsed.
    Very impressive; and so speedy with your response, too! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BJack)
    The first was wrong because Warwick doesn't require STEP; the second because Oxford maths doesn't use the TSA.
    sorry to correct, but Warwick does require STEP now.

ReputationRep:
    I think BJack meant that there's also the possibility to do AEA.

ReputationRep:
    thread well and truly hijacked

ReputationRep:
    If I'd realised that this thread was still going, I may have been annoyed at the tangental nature of discussion. Thanks for all the helpful advice peeps I visited Warwick a week ago and I loved the city. I'm not gonna lie, the campus was a bit... flat. Didn't get as many good vibes as I did from Bristol. Plus the lecturer kept saying 'umm' every other word and it distracted me .

But please, by all means, continue with your digressional discussion of Oxford and Cambridge. That is, after all, what this topic is about

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smashing)
    I visited Warwick a week ago and I loved the city. I'm not gonna lie, the campus was a bit... flat.
    Worst time to visit. It's the holidays, the campus is a ghost town right now. It is totally different during term, like night and day.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 31, 2009

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.