Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone used this before? I would just like some feedback and your thoughts on it.

I was specifically looking at their admissions test seminar but opinions on the interview are nonetheless helpful as well

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    The general consensus is that they are useless, and they make a mint off exploiting common myths about Oxbridge.

I'd stay well clear.

ReputationRep:
    I completely disagree.

I found Oxbridge Applications very helpful. I am on a low income (I receive EMA) so they gave me a free spot on their Gold Package. They give very good interview advice, booklets about the college and subject your applying for, and most importantly you get 2 subject specific and 2 general interviews with written feedback.

ReputationRep:
    in my opinion useless as they had no one able to interview for earth sciences so i just got geography interviews not at all like the real thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MustafaCaglar)
    I completely disagree.

I found Oxbridge Applications very helpful. I am on a low income (I receive EMA) so they gave me a free spot on their Gold Package. They give very good interview advice, booklets about the college and subject your applying for, and most importantly you get 2 subject specific and 2 general interviews with written feedback.
    You realise that I and most of the people on here are as qualified (if not more since we've been through the admissions procedure more recently) as any of the Oxbridge Admissions experts.

ReputationRep:
    I completely disagree.

Did you get in in the end?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xinolisss)
    Did you get in in the end?
    Well I got the offer

Not sure how much of it I can credit to them though!

Cool your doing engineering too, I'm at Oxford though

ReputationRep:
    I used it, I got in. I don't really have any illusions about my intelligence, I'm pretty sure it was the interview preparation day I went on that go me in and even if it didn't then it made me feel a hell of a lot happier and more relaxed in my interviews. If you have the money for it then do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Audrey Hepburn)
    I used it, I got in. I don't really have any illusions about my intelligence, I'm pretty sure it was the interview preparation day I went on that go me in and even if it didn't then it made me feel a hell of a lot happier and more relaxed in my interviews. If you have the money for it then do it.
    What precisely can you get from Oxbridge Applications that you cannot get for free elsewhere?

I don't have any great moral objection or anything, just can't quite fathom why someone would pay two hundred quid on it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arrogant Git)
    What precisely can you get from Oxbridge Applications that you cannot get for free elsewhere?

I don't have any great moral objection or anything, just can't quite fathom why someone would pay two hundred quid on it...
    Well I didn't go on the whole £200 weekend shibang (though a friend of mine did, then got accepted to Cambridge for maths, and subsequently didn't get his step grades. burn.), essentially practice really helps me and the practice interviews I did there were pretty much identical to the ones I actually had - in fact one or two questions were exactly the same. The practice interviews I got at school for free were frankly a load of crap and nothing like the real ones. That's pretty much it really. They also told me exactly what to expect roomwise, number-of-people-wise, dispelling-rumour-wise, and generally everything I wasn't clever enough to google.

ReputationRep:
    I completely disagree.

Yeah I agree. I don't think they are completely useless but I think it depends on who you are.

I went to not a great state school and really really lacked confidence about the Oxbridge interviews - I was so scared, had no idea what they would be like, etc. My school didn't offer practice interviews (well they did but they were a complete joke) whereas my boyfriend at a top private school was getting so much help, advice, practice interviews and special Oxbridge classes!

I signed up for the very basic package, can't remember what it was called, it was just 2 practice interviews and a little booklet (I think any more is probably a waste of money). They were really good - difficult questions and VERY like my real interviews. They gave me great feedback and told me I would do really well in interviews.

It gave me so much confidence so my parents don't regret the hundred quid it cost. Obviously I didn't actually NEED the interviews as the feedback was essentially you're doing fine plus a few little tips, but it just helps going knowing you're not headed to make a complete and utter fool of yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Athena)
    It's a scammy company, you won't get anything from it that you can't get from the universities themselves, your school and TSR.
    Depends on your school.
    I agree all the stuff they tell you is the same as you can find elsewhere but imo practice interviews that are realistic are invaluable.

I think the 6day £1000 residential crap is a scam, but a couple of difficult, realistic practice interviews and some talks and booklets etc for a hundred quid isn't too bad.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by ***amy***)
    Depends on your school.
    I agree all the stuff they tell you is the same as you can find elsewhere but imo practice interviews that are realistic are invaluable.

I think the 6day £1000 residential crap is a scam, but a couple of difficult, realistic practice interviews and some talks and booklets etc for a hundred quid isn't too bad.
    I got all of that and more for free via the Access Scheme (or whatever they call themselves these days) though :yes:

I suppose if one's school isn't quite crap enough to be on the Access Scheme but equally doesn't have any half-decent Oxbridge advice, then there may be limited options in terms of where else to get the realistic practice interview from though :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    My brother had help from Oxbridge Applications. They were useless since they couldn't find any one with the same degree as him. They ended up sending a guy who did Physics to teach Maths.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone ever used OxbridgeSciences? Apparently they're better than Oxbridge Applications. Any feedback would be helpful!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lily Patel)
    Has anyone ever used OxbridgeSciences? Apparently they're better than Oxbridge Applications. Any feedback would be helpful!
    You don't need to pay a company to help you. What help are you looking for? It's almost certainly available free of charge, either online, or by visiting the university for an open day.

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking for interview practice and advice on how to prepare for Natural Sciences at Cambridge. I'm just worried because apparently every candidate is now getting interview help. I don't want to be disadvantaged and I'm very anxious about the interview day. What if I turn up and I literally do not have a clue about what they ask me? It seems like there are a lot of unpredictable questions.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.