Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Well basically, last year I took 4 IGCSE's in which I achieved 4 A's. This year I did another 4 IGCSE's and also took bio and maths AS, which is the normal policy at my school (Crazy, I know). So this coming academic year I wish to take chem AS and A2, bio A2 and maths A2 with an AS (not sure which subject). Anyways, can the whole chem a level be done in a year? Or is it impossible? (provided I work my ass off).

ReputationRep:
    Indeed it is possible. Most of the content interlinks with each other anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah shouldn't be an issue just be sure to do very well at AS C hem to compensate for a rushed A2

A2 seems so much harder but maybe it's be ^^

ReputationRep:
    Possible? Yes. Difficult? Yes

Best of Luck :yy:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys!

ReputationRep:
    Yes it's possible. I'd just agree that you should do as well as you can in the AS part, as A2 is waaay more difficult!!! Also, I'd see if you could sit all 3 AS exams in Jan and the A2 in June... I don't know if you could do it that way or not... It's only because a lot of the A2 work expands on the AS, and if you've not already got basic knowledge it's going to be v.hard!!!

ReputationRep:
    Easily possible, can be done in 6 months even.

ReputationRep:
    It's true that AS overlaps with A2, and if you're willing to study your ass off and dedicate a great many hours to learning all that organic chem and transition metal chemistry then you're good. I would say it would be very difficult to achieve though, especially with you doing those other subjects simultaneously as well. You would pretty much have to kiss away any social life, and if you're willing to do that then go ahead.

ReputationRep:
    Move to scotland and do advanced higher chemistry At least according to the scottish universities it's a more valuable course anyway :p:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the advice guys . I've decided to do AS and A2 in June, in order for me to practice for the practical exams. I had better get ready to say bye bye to any fun this year.

ReputationRep:
    I just finished a 1 year Chemistry A level. However because of time tables I had to do Unit 1 and Unit 2 Chemistry along with Unit 4 in january.

I ended up getting B,B,D for the 3 units but I worked like crazy and got pushed up to a predicted A. After I had time to go over everything during easter everything made much more sense since the christmas was pretty busy with maths, english and biology getting in the way.

ReputationRep:
    i absolutely love chemistry if they allowed me to do it in one year i would do it with no regrets up with chemistry up with chemistry....... =p

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion, YES, you can do A-level Chemistry in one year. But do beware that it's going to be hard work. Make sure you buy the syllabus AS and A2 text books, A-level Chemistry revision guides and finally, get a "fat" A-level Chemistry text book (a general one). It should be around 500 or 400 pages. If you read through a general text book before term starts, then you'll find AS and A2 chemistry much simpler.

I've just finished OCR AS Chemistry, and am anxiously awaiting my results. I recommend the OCR syllabus simply because the coursework module is a walk in the park. AQA is a pain in the neck.

Hope this helps.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.