Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    The exam was quite a while ago, but i have to say i found that it was one of my hardest exams. In fact, there were very few questions that i actually knew the answers to which is quite disturbing

The exam counts for 40% of the overall GCSE, i got a middle/high A for the coursework which is 60%.

How did everybody else find this exam? The theme was environment and it was based around recycling bins. The design question at the beginning was about the only question that i think i did fairly well on.

Does anybody know how many marks i would need for an A/A*?
    What did you think of the exam?

btw, i think everyone at my school found the exam hard, though im not certain this was the case for other schools.

thanks

oh and because ive created the thread i may aswell ask is there such a thing as 5 GCSE's in science?, i thought the highest was triple science. My friend insists that shes doing 5 (her teacher says so) - bio, chim and physics seperate and the two from double science. Can this be or is she and her teacher mistaken? She goes to a diff school

ReputationRep:
    i did OCR. i got 101/105 on the coursework. the exams were hard though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jayman)
    i did OCR. i got 101/105 on the coursework. the exams were hard though
    oh right... was your exam on gardening tools or something?

i got 92/93 out of 95 but which is a middle A i think, you need 95/95 to get a high A (on the coursework)

ReputationRep:
    Umm I did my GCSEs in 2006, I talked a lot of bull **** in the exam, just wrote down anything and everything I could remember - I think it was related to the question at least..not all of it though, threw in some random processes and whatnot. I got an A*, my coursework was brilliant though, ah I worked so hard on my lamp =]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mimbobanage)
    Umm I did my GCSEs in 2006, I talked a lot of bull **** in the exam, just wrote down anything and everything I could remember - I think it was related to the question at least..not all of it though, threw in some random processes and whatnot. I got an A* though, my coursework was brilliant though, ah I worked so hard on my lamp =]

nicee. do you know how many marks/ what percentage you got in the exam? did you get 95/95 on coursework?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aishams)
    nicee. do you know how many marks/ what percentage you got in the exam? did you get 95/95 on coursework?
    I have absolutely no idea sorry! My certificates say nothing =[

ReputationRep:
    thats okay

ReputationRep:
    oh right... was your exam on gardening tools or something?

i got 92/93 out of 95 but which is a middle A i think, you need 95/95 to get a high A (on the coursework)
    we had two exams. one was on garden tools. and for us lot, you need to get 90% on both coursework and exam for a* overall. so i guess im on my way lol

ReputationRep:
    The exam was quite a while ago, but i have to say i found that it was one of my hardest exams. In fact, there were very few questions that i actually knew the answers to which is quite disturbing

The exam counts for 40% of the overall GCSE, i got a middle/high A for the coursework which is 60%.

How did everybody else find this exam? The theme was environment and it was based around recycling bins. The design question at the beginning was about the only question that i think i did fairly well on.

Does anybody know how many marks i would need for an A/A*?
    What did you think of the exam?

btw, i think everyone at my school found the exam hard, though im not certain this was the case for other schools.

thanks

oh and because ive created the thread i may aswell ask is there such a thing as 5 GCSE's in science?, i thought the highest was triple science. My friend insists that shes doing 5 (her teacher says so) - bio, chim and physics seperate and the two from double science. Can this be or is she and her teacher mistaken? She goes to a diff school
    everyone in my year found it hard don't worry, i also got 92/95 on my coursework and so we need somewhere around 75% for the A* depending on how everyone else did. it was definitely a weird paper but i remain hopeful for the A* .

Also, the exam was hard because although some people like me and a few others in my class had gone away and learnt stuff out of a textbook there was really nothing on anything we'd learnt and it was all so random.

ReputationRep:
    I did that exam too, it was really hard and probably failed. I also got an A but scraped it. That exam was the hardest I ever done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hallix)
    everyone in my year found it hard don't worry, i also got 92/95 on my coursework and so we need somewhere around 75% for the A* depending on how everyone else did. it was definitely a weird paper but i remain hopeful for the A* .

Also, the exam was hard because although some people like me and a few others in my class had gone away and learnt stuff out of a textbook there was really nothing on anything we'd learnt and it was all so random.
    Yeh seriously everything i learnt was not on the paper at all e.g. injection moulding, instead it was vacuum forming

I just realised that the mechanism question was on how to 'crush' cans (thats what i read somewhere in another thread) but i answered the question with the assumption that the mechanism was how to open the recyling bin, hence i described the bell crank and linkages mechanism. This ofcourse, sucks This question was worth 10 marks, i wonder how many i got out of the 10.

Its nice to hear that although everybody in your school also found it hard, that you still remain hopeful for an A* (you got the same marks as me in the coursework). I hope the boundaries are really low. I'd think they need to be considering how hard it seemed

Oh and there were like so many others questions i had no clue about, including the one about webbing, the life cycle of a metal. I don't recall writing as much bull in my life as i was compelled to write in this one exam alone.

ReputationRep:
    I did my GCSEs in 2005 and did Food Technology, so can't comment on the subject, but just thought I would mention the following:

Grade boundaries are not set until all the papers have been marked. This allows for a national comparison between students. If the paper was difficult and everyone performed badly, these will be lowered in order to bring standards in to line with previous years.

Also, bear in mind that coursework in this subject is weighted at 60% of the final mark. If you have done well in that, then you are more than half way there!

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sedc070289)
    I did my GCSEs in 2005 and did Food Technology, so can't comment on the subject, but just thought I would mention the following:

Grade boundaries are not set until all the papers have been marked. This allows for a national comparison between students. If the paper was difficult and everyone performed badly, these will be lowered in order to bring standards in to line with previous years.

Also, bear in mind that coursework in this subject is weighted at 60% of the final mark. If you have done well in that, then you are more than half way there!

Good luck

oh yeh true! thanks.
    what did you get in food tech and how did u find the exam?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.