Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    it increases down the group right? If that is so is this down to the lower elecrtonagtivity and what other factors?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Increased size of atom - so has more protons, neutrons and electrons as you go down the group. I'll let you answer why this increases it's ability to reduce.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liverpool's Number 9)
    it increases down the group right? If that is so is this down to the lower elecrtonagtivity and what other factors?

Thanks.
    as you go down the group there is a greater nuclear force, but there are more shells and therefore more shielding. therefore the attraction between the outermost electrons and the nucleus is reduced.

something is reduced when it gains electrons. so the halides, down the group, are less easily reduced(or more easily oxidised, as oxidation is the loss of electrons), but are better reducing agents.

ReputationRep:
    i thought it decreases down the group????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ny2ko)
    i thought it decreases down the group????
    nar

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.