Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I am a bit worried.. i just applied for student finance again (3rd time now) as i did a 2 yr HND and now starting a 3 yr Degree.

However, im worried that there will be a limit that i can ave but on application form and when i rang them mentioning starting a new course they said nothing. Im in a house where no income comes through (mom n dad dont work)

So am i worrying bout nothing and i still will be able to get it to pay for my degree

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    I think i read somewhere that student finance will fund you for 4 years only. Don't quote me on that though.

ReputationRep:
    Damn ive not read that... can someone else please ease my worries lol

ReputationRep:
    Is this a new course or HND top up?

ReputationRep:
    Its a new course mate... Degree was the way forward from the HND which i wanted to do

ReputationRep:
    Dont say anywhere about a limit

ReputationRep:
    just found out that its 4 years for Student finance support

Considering i have no income coming into my house then that rly doesnt help me at all

If they say i have to pay for 3rd yr myself then that is ok as i will be able to save up... but 1st year i wont be able to save up in time

Shall i contact student finance about this

ReputationRep:
    Because you're doing a second degree, I doubt you'll get funding. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=656018

ReputationRep:
    No mate, its not a second degree as its Higher than the Higher National Diploma i did..

So therotically.. this is my 1st degree

ReputationRep:
    But you've already done 2 years in HE.

ReputationRep:
    I did a HND and left due to personal stuff...anyway I called SAAS(student finiance people for Scotland) as I was considering transferring uni and wanted to see what would happen and they said that as I'd been funded for a HND they would only fund me if I managed to get into the 2nd year of a course,if it was 1st year then I'd have to pay for it as they'd paid for the HND and will have paid for the 1st year of a degree.

If I'm reading your post right you've done a HND then moving onto a degree,is it the 2nd or 3rd year?if it's 3rd year you should get finance no problems but I am by no means an expert especially on how it works in england so I would phone the relevant finance people.

AJxx

ReputationRep:
    If you go into year 2 of the degree, you'll be ok for support. Year one will mean no fee support or maintenance grant for that year.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.