Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    This thread is asking current Exeter Students about how much they spend per week on going out and travelling etc... obvioulsy this is aimed that the "average" student so we get a rough idea of how much to budget.. and also how often does the Exeter student go out per week?

And how hard has it been (in the first year) to find a part time job?

o and one more thing, do we buy all our textbooks at the beginginng of the year, and how much have people spent on textbooks in the past?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    im not sure im the "average" student

i tend to go out to clubs or pubs 2/3 nights a week, normally on tues and thurs

i spend about £10 to £20 on a night out although sometimes it can be a lot less or a lot more it varies, i have spent less than £5 before when ive gone to arena but also managed to spend over £50 at the same club :erm:

i tend to budget £40 a week on alcohol and going out (most peopel wont spend that much) then £10 on food but i dont eat or buy much as i tend to steal food from teh parentals when i drive home some weekends

i dont have a job because im too lazy and my dad gives me a weekly allowance

ReputationRep:
    I asked this question a while ago and all I found is that it seems to vary hugely from person to person.
    Some people go out way more, some people spend more on food, some people go travelling to their friends loads whereas others may not leave campus all term!

One question I would like answered which I've asked before I think is about printing. I'm planning on using the uni printers for the first year, so how much does printing cost (i know it varies from person to person!) for a term/year if you're doing it this way?

Also, I echo DreamsComeTrue's question re textbooks - i know this varies between courses. I'm doing Philosophy & Political Economy and any info on textbooks or other course essentials would be great!

ReputationRep:
    I very very rarely go out (once in a blue moon sort of thing) I'm more inclined on going to pubs than clubs. Even so I barely spend anything on going out - neglible. Food I probably spend about £20/week...shopping for clothes on the other hand =P Lunches I also buy every day, so that's another £10-£15...

ReputationRep:
    Printing costs 5p a sheet. You get £3 on your card to start with I think. Depends how much you print really. I always seem to run out with one page left. The min you can put on your card online is £3 but you can go to the desk in the library and put less on that way.

As for how much you spend, just as much as you can afford but always more than you thought.

ReputationRep:
    Only jobs I could find in the first year were campus and accommodation tours.
    Second year I was a bit luckier and able to find a data entry job a short train ride away.
    Third year I was even luckier and scored a job in the Spar at the corner of Vic Street. Jobs are there but a lot of it relies on being in the right place at the right time; you'll probably also find more opportunities if you look away from the city centre.

As for average spend - bear in mind this was pre-recession when I was there, so remember to add a few quid! As a vegetarian my food bill was between £10 and £15 a week; as a meat-eater this was more like £15-£22. I was never really much of a drinker (given this, I could make £10 last a night when I did go out) or clubber so most of my spending was on society events. Whenever I had to buy books I used to buy them off Amazon Marketplace or from current students to keep costs down (don't buy from the campus Blackwell's unless it's an emergency - it is overpriced in the extreme in there!). Couldn't really put an exact number on my weekly spend, but I'm sure I probably can't have spent more than £35-£50 in any given week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChloeGsy)

Also, I echo DreamsComeTrue's question re textbooks - i know this varies between courses. I'm doing Philosophy & Political Economy and any info on textbooks or other course essentials would be great!
    I think you'll be doing the modules Introduction to Political Economy and something like Principles of Economics. I noticed Principles of Economics has been changed for the next year but it'll essentially be the same.

If it hasn't changed, then you'll need a big textbook about £40 which you cant get away with buying second hand because you need the access keys to use online resources.

Introduction to Political Economy is essentially two modules which you can take seperately bundled together. The first half with John Maloney is State and Economy, the book is New Ideas From Dead Economists by Todd Bucholz. About £10 used but you don't really need it. All other books (you will read a lot of stuff on Smith and Marx) will be available from the library. For a book review you may want to buy the book rather than wait for it from the library, about £10 again. This is more useful than New Ideas From Dead Economists.

Second half of the year is Philosophy of Economics. It gets expensive now. There's two books Juliette Stephenson recommends you get at least one of. The Methedology of Economics by Mark Blaug, or Philosophy of Economics by Hausman. Both are about £30-40 if I remember correctly. I found it useful to have both but again there's a good supply at the library if you get in early.

Can't speak for Politics and Philosophy as I don't have anything to do with them. A note - don't bother buying any books until you get there, the lists could change.

------------------
    Other questions - Travelling.
    If you're driving, you might be a little disappointed by petrol prices. There's no ASDA in Exeter, and it's ASDA who tend to keep prices low. An extra 2p per litre over Bristol is average. There are some funny petrol stations with strange pricing strategies though.
    Using busses and stuff - there's not much need. If you stay in the city all term you won't need to spend a penny. Travel is a luxury, but in Exeter it's pretty good value if you want to head off to a beach or a bigger city. Or even just to the big Tesco - you can get a train from Central or St Davids to Digby and Sowton which is just around the corner from all the big retail stores.

Spend in general - I'm really bad. I really go overboard spending money on food. As for drink, I go wild some weeks then may go a few without doing anything and hence it balances out to a reasonable spend. Plus I have a car. I was fortunate with unusual circumstances leading to me getting a large bursary and loan alongside parental help so I can afford to go wild. My house isn't extravagant in the least, though, I get a good deal there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im in a coma)
    I think you'll be doing the modules Introduction to Political Economy and something like Principles of Economics. I noticed Principles of Economics has been changed for the next year but it'll essentially be the same.

If it hasn't changed, then you'll need a big textbook about £40 which you cant get away with buying second hand because you need the access keys to use online resources.

Introduction to Political Economy is essentially two modules which you can take seperately bundled together. The first half with John Maloney is State and Economy, the book is New Ideas From Dead Economists by Todd Bucholz. About £10 used but you don't really need it. All other books (you will read a lot of stuff on Smith and Marx) will be available from the library. For a book review you may want to buy the book rather than wait for it from the library, about £10 again. This is more useful than New Ideas From Dead Economists.

Second half of the year is Philosophy of Economics. It gets expensive now. There's two books Juliette Stephenson recommends you get at least one of. The Methedology of Economics by Mark Blaug, or Philosophy of Economics by Hausman. Both are about £30-40 if I remember correctly. I found it useful to have both but again there's a good supply at the library if you get in early.

Can't speak for Politics and Philosophy as I don't have anything to do with them. A note - don't bother buying any books until you get there, the lists could change.

------------------
    Other questions - Travelling.
    If you're driving, you might be a little disappointed by petrol prices. There's no ASDA in Exeter, and it's ASDA who tend to keep prices low. An extra 2p per litre over Bristol is average. There are some funny petrol stations with strange pricing strategies though.
    Using busses and stuff - there's not much need. If you stay in the city all term you won't need to spend a penny. Travel is a luxury, but in Exeter it's pretty good value if you want to head off to a beach or a bigger city. Or even just to the big Tesco - you can get a train from Central or St Davids to Digby and Sowton which is just around the corner from all the big retail stores.

Spend in general - I'm really bad. I really go overboard spending money on food. As for drink, I go wild some weeks then may go a few without doing anything and hence it balances out to a reasonable spend. Plus I have a car. I was fortunate with unusual circumstances leading to me getting a large bursary and loan alongside parental help so I can afford to go wild. My house isn't extravagant in the least, though, I get a good deal there.
    awesome, thanks for that
    yes, i will wait until i get there but it's good to have a heads up on what to maybe expect!
    yeah, i'm not bringing my car or anything so i'll be ok - that was one of the things i loved about Exeter, how everything is within walking distance!

anyway, thanks for all of the above

ReputationRep:
    Where on earth would everyone put a car if they brought theirs though? I drove down the other week and it was hell to park even on a normal weekday when there's exams on. I'm hoping I won't spend too much on food, I can literally live on nutella on toast, coco pops (no milk!) and apples and the occasional ham sandwich, so that's not going to be a problem! God that's unhealthy. (I hope my mother doesn't see this) I think my main problem will be clothes and going out- I've been used to earning (and having an allowance) my own income since I was 16, and suddenly that is going to be gone and I'll be relying on the parentals and my practically non-existent loan to fund me through. Oh and my phone bill And buying unnecessary luxuries like perfume and makeup that I don't need and DVDs and and and. I'll need to learn to curb my spending more I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kath...)
    Where on earth would everyone put a car if they brought theirs though? I drove down the other week and it was hell to park even on a normal weekday when there's exams on.
    I use on street residents only parking. In the residential areas around the Streatham Campus houses can claim two permits and two books of visitor day permits for the year.
    In the first year in uni accommodation this is a lot more difficult. Not many places have parking available anymore. I didn't get my car until late on in my first year so didn't experience this, and have had access to on street parking in my second year and I'll be ok for next year as well.

I'm hoping I won't spend too much on food, I can literally live on nutella on toast, coco pops (no milk!) and apples and the occasional ham sandwich, so that's not going to be a problem!
    I'm a bad example! I have extremely picky food tastes and I'm also very lazy when it comes to food which is why I spend so much.

ReputationRep:
    You could probably spend all your money in the Long Lounge. The food there is amazing.

ReputationRep:
    I budget about £50 a week, for living expenses, of which it most gets spent on food. Last year I had stuff like car insurance, petrol, road tax etc, which I won't have to pay this year.

Accommodation can run you varying amounts, I am paying ~£60 a week next year but last I heard, Holland Hall was up to £165 (though I may be wrong about that).

Then there are varying sundry amounts which will mostly be my gym subs, and any additional American Football equipment I want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bebbs)
    I budget about £50 a week, for living expenses, of which it most gets spent on food. Last year I had stuff like car insurance, petrol, road tax etc, which I won't have to pay this year.

Accommodation can run you varying amounts, I am paying ~£60 a week next year but last I heard, Holland Hall was up to £165 (though I may be wrong about that).

Then there are varying sundry amounts which will mostly be my gym subs, and any additional American Football equipment I want.
    Yeah Holland is that price next year, I lived in Mardon this year

You can find work IF you look for it, although I don;t think its very easy. Budgeting really depends on the person, even between my friends and I it varies considerably, its best to measure it when you get there and base it on that x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .:Emma:.)

You can find work IF you look for it, although I don;t think its very easy.
    Easier than you think tbh. I had a job in my first two years, and pretty much anyone I know that wanted a job had one. You just have to know where to look. If there isn't anything going in pubs, retail, clubs etc you can always get work in the Ram or Lemmy, or even catering/manning the door during events at the uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bebbs)
    Easier than you think tbh. I had a job in my first two years, and pretty much anyone I know that wanted a job had one. You just have to know where to look. If there isn't anything going in pubs, retail, clubs etc you can always get work in the Ram or Lemmy, or even catering/manning the door during events at the uni.
    I didn't say it was impossible, I worked at Topshop last year. Its just IF you look for it, loads of my friends 'tried' to get jobs but didn't really look that hard, so hence found it difficult.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.