Turn on thread page Beta

nice, interesting, stimulating, sensual, arousing, Marxist and Feminist books watch

ReputationRep:
    I need some good books to purchase and read over the summer to do with my A2 English Lit course for the unit 4 critical anthology coursework.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    The Handmaid's Tale :yep:

ReputationRep:
    check out www.AKUK.com, they have a lot of books with feminist themes, and some with marxist themes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Terryw)
    Just going through the wikipedia article. It seems amazing :woo: . Thanks alot.

ReputationRep:
    The Bloody Chamber by Angela Carter.

The author was quite a femminist and many of her stories are packed with hidden meanings and euthamisims. I studied it for AS English lang & lit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TylerDurden)
    Just going through the wikipedia article. It seems amazing :woo: . Thanks alot.
    I did English Lit and it was a good book. I'm male though so some bits were a bit off putting :p: Lots of references to periods etc.
    Atwood does a few feminist books, so look into her as an author.
    The novel itself is referred to a lot in today's society in what some people think the future could be like. For reference, also read Orwell's 1984.

ReputationRep:
    I did English Lit and it was a good book. I'm male though so some bits were a bit off putting :p: Lots of references to periods etc.
    Atwood does a few feminist books, so look into her as an author.
    The novel itself is referred to a lot in today's society in what some people think the future could be like. For reference, also read Orwell's 1984.
    How was your coursework, if you don't mind me asking? Like was the book relevant enough. Because I heard that for A2 it isn't enough for the book just to have themes, it has to be deeper. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    How was your coursework, if you don't mind me asking? Like was the book relevant enough. Because I heard that for A2 it isn't enough for the book just to have themes, it has to be deeper. :confused:
    The book is full of things to write about, themes are just one of many things that go on. You can talk about feelings, feminism, culture, men, rape, women as an object, the walking womb, the colour red, betrayal, differences in society, the ending, biblical references (many), babies, the narrator, the deliberate lies your told, sex as reproduction, spying, love, character names and each characters past, the influences on Offred and her previous life.
    So there is a lot of write about and it was relevant to my coursework 100%.
    In A2, you can give your opinions on the novel, what your interpretation is. However, you must also write about context, when the novel was written, what state the author was in when writing it, the influences she had and society at the time of writing. Then think of things like what Atwood thought the future would be like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss.Naughty)
    The Bloody Chamber by Angela Carter.

The author was quite a femminist and many of her stories are packed with hidden meanings and euthamisims. I studied it for AS English lang & lit.
    I studied that my 2nd year of uni. It's a really interesting group of short stories, OP, she was renowned for her feminst works as well as her magical realism; The Bloody Chamber and the other short stories are all available online if you want to have a read through them! Although I can't remember the website, I'm afraid you'd just have to browse google.

Edit: Also, "Their Eyes Were Watching God" by Zora Neale Hurston is an excellent book if you're interested in black feminst literature. She once said that the black woman was the lowest member of society, at the time she was writing obviously, so you could write about that. I also used that in an essay I did 2nd year English Lit which I got a first for, and I think it's purely because I found Hurston so interesting as a writer!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nouvelle_vague)
    I studied that my 2nd year of uni. It's a really interesting group of short stories, OP, she was renowned for her feminst works as well as her magical realism; The Bloody Chamber and the other short stories are all available online if you want to have a read through them! Although I can't remember the website, I'm afraid you'd just have to browse google.

Edit: Also, "Their Eyes Were Watching God" by Zora Neale Hurston is an excellent book if you're interested in black feminst literature. She once said that the black woman was the lowest member of society, at the time she was writing obviously, so you could write about that. I also used that in an essay I did 2nd year English Lit which I got a first for, and I think it's purely because I found Hurston so interesting as a writer!
    http://www.angelfire.com/crazy4/lesa...y_chamber.html

found it. Deffo will read this. Especially since its online and free, which is my life basically.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.angelfire.com/crazy4/lesa...y_chamber.html

found it. Deffo will read this. Especially since its online and free, which is my life basically.
    Haha, it's really good
    Hope you enjoy it!

ReputationRep:
    Doris Lessing's The Golden Notebook is BOTH Marxist AND Feminist. I mean, what more do you want?!

(It might not be nice, interesting, stimulating, sensual or arousing though. Then again, maybe it will be).

ReputationRep:

erruugghh..

that's all i have to say on the matter..

ReputationRep:
    You can read almost any book from a Marxist or Feminist perspective. Which is something that, I believe, is better than merely reading a book that was intentionally feminist or marxist.

Virginia Woolf is probably a good start for feminism.
    Bertolt Bretch for Marxism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by s+lky)
    erruugghh..

that's all i have to say on the matter..
    why?

ReputationRep:
    i simply didn't like it.. i did the handmaids tale and 1984 for my year 13 coursework and wanted to change the handmaids tale half way through.. i just couldn't bare it.. the concept was a good idea but i found it incredibly hard to get into it.. i didn't like the way it was written one little bit.. for me personally i found it a chore to read and forced myself to finish it.. can't say i enjoyed it in the slightest.. but then again it's all subjective.. what i think is terrible another will find it amazing !

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.