Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I'm a former dentistry student from Venezuela and I still use my Waterpik/Hanau Alcohol Torch for other pursuits (modelling in wax and sculpture), however as those of you who might have used it/use it, no methylated spirits can be used with it as required by the maker, only denatured alcohols made from ethanol/ethyl alcohol can be used with the torch; Whilst that wasn't a problem in Venezuela it is proving a nightmare to find stuff in this country that was much easier to find there (basically it seems like the government doesn't trust its own people when it comes to what can be sold on the high street). I'm aware of the regulations by Customs and Excise when it comes to buying ethyl alcohol (not available for retail basically), but I wanted to ask you if you if any of you who might have had experience with the torch and where to find the right kind of fuel, could direct me in the right direction as to where to find denatured alcohol made from ethyl alcohol/ethanol?

This is the alcohol torch I use, for illustration purposes http://www.denplus.com/catalog/produ...roducts_id=267

Some might suggest I switch to the cheap alcohol torch/spirit lamps but if you have used one of these waterpik/hanau torches then you know there's no going back.

Walking up and down the King's Road no one knows what to suggest, not even pharmacists/chemists and only someone who works at a garden centre told me they used to stock the precious light blue fuel but not anymore because they were required to have a license from a certain point onwards.

So fingers crossed one of you might have the right piece of advice/tip.

Best regards and thanks for your advice and assistance in advance folks.

Julio Rincones

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 22, 2009

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.