Turn on thread page Beta

Oxbridge: Paradoxical disadvantage? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Athena)
    You also know that, other than in Maths, the AEAs have been phased out? And if you really want to sit an exam, you find another school who will enter you as a private candidate. I have no sympathy for the fact that your school won't let you take the exams you want - you're paying for it, if you don't like the customer service - you go elsewhere. If you're not willing to do that, you have to do lots of relevant extra-curricular reading as a substitute for the activities that will make other applicants' applications stand out, especially to universities other than Oxbridge (where you won't be interviewed).
    OK thank you for the post however you do know I made this thread for advice and not sympathy :rolleyes: - the latter won't get me (or anybody) anywhere and I'm fully aware of that.

Reading is not a problem but I've taken this potential disadvantage seriously so I have decided to approach admissions tutors for advice from the top.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    what subject are you hoping to read? if your school are being unwilling to offer higher level teaching in it, have a look at the open university. they offer certificate (first year degree level) courses which are very good. i've done a course with them, and i have friends who have done whole degrees with them, feel free to ask me anything you want to know if you choose that route.

also have a look at the cambridge and oxford distance programmes in their life long learnign section, there are soem very good courses which can bring your academic work up to a very good standard. i believe some of the london universities also offer very good part time and distance certificate courses.

ReputationRep:
    Lol, I got a gold in the intermediate maths challenge hahaha. Didn't really consider mentioning it, but would it make a difference? It was 3 years ago xD

ReputationRep:
    Although different colleges regard things differently, I'm fairly sure that one of the most important thing they value is potential - like some oxford tutors have put it: [potential] can be demonstrated by excellent academia and relevant experiences, however they're not the only ways to demosntrate [potential].... You're encouraged to participate in competitions, and other forms of related experiences, but you will certainly not be disadvantaged if you had not any of these chances to do so.

ReputationRep:
    If it is the case that your school underperforms (compared to other "independents"), that should be considered when deciding whether or not to make an offer.

Maybe.. :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serrellen)
    This just isn't true. I wish you'd stop giving out erroneous advice to people. You can get an interview with mediocre grades, but it is probable they will already have a very rough idea of who they want before they interview candidates, and those with poor grades have to redeem themselves by being especially outstanding at interview.
    This is very true.

ReputationRep:
    (where you won't be interviewed).
    Ouch :P.

That's quite harsh, you couldn't possibly know?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Almost no other universities interview - I know that.
    I think he accidentally misunderstood your emphasis and read it as "Oxbridge, where you won't be interviewed".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)
    I think he accidentally misunderstood your emphasis and read it as "Oxbridge, where you won't be interviewed".
    Ah, you're right .

other than Oxbridge
    My bad.

University open days

1. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    Churchill College Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  3. Richmond, The American International University in London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.