Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Dreams about my boyfriend being my dad? :| Watch

Anon or delete, this is so weird.

Lately I've been having dreams where my boyfriend and dad seem to be the same thing... in some, my boyfriend is just normal and looks like himself but he's also my father (generally speaking, not MY actual father).

In others, my boyfriend seems to take my dad's physical form and appearance... in last night's dream, I was in denial that he was my dad and was just freaking out that he looked, erm, IDENTICAL to my dad.

In my dreams I always recognise that it's incest, and have this moral dilemma over the fact that I love him but he's my dad...

Any hardcore Freudians care to enlighten me on what the hell this is all about...? Or someone just tell me you've had a similarly disgusting dream!

*Hides*

ReputationRep:
    Are you attracted to your dad in the non-dream world?

ReputationRep:
    Ha Freud claimed to be able to analyse people from dreams but he also said in some words that dreams can be no more then just a random dream.

Im in the camp that dreams mean little so i wouldnt worry about it, it may be something about that you are worrying in someways about your dad and your boyfriend at the same time, so i wouldnt try and get a reason or analysis from this as it is going to have a high likelyhood of it being wrong. Just hope that the dreams pass in time.

ReputationRep:
    lol thats funny.

Dreams can be ignored tho, they don't mean much and if they do it may not be anything obvious.

Does your boyfriend say "who's your daddy" during sex

ReputationRep:
    are they the same people irl?

ReputationRep:
    It could be something simple like your boyfriend has been a bit bossy/protective lately. Even if you haven't thought about it! Don't worry, dreams are just dreams

ReputationRep:
    You shouldn't read too much into dreams. The other week I dreamt that I was having sex with a big block of ice for some reason, it doesn't mean that I'm actually sexually attracted to ice! It was probably just my brain mixing up the memories/events of the previous day/days. I would say the same is happening to you. Dreams are quite random.

ReputationRep:
    It's okay, you just have a subconscious desire to **** your dad swiftly and erotically. :awesome:

More seriously though, I had a very cool dream this morning, now that I come to think of it, just on the threshold of consciousness: I went to an Osama-bin-Laden-themed theme park and ended up swimming naked in a big pool full of liquid LSD. I'd hate to think what that says about me!

ReputationRep:
    Freud would love this.
    But seriously, a dream's a dream- it doesn'thave to mean anything. Maybe you just subconsciously noticed a similarity between them lately or something, or maybe it is just a dream. Don't worry about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teveth)
    You shouldn't read too much into dreams. The other week I dreamt that I was having sex with a big block of ice for some reason, it doesn't mean that I'm actually sexually attracted to ice! It was probably just my brain mixing up the memories/events of the previous day/days. I would say the same is happening to you. Dreams are quite random.
    what if you caught frostbite?

ReputationRep:
    Don't read to much into dream !. If your BF turns into you dad in your dream this suggest to me that you boyfriend is controllin/demanding , and tells you what to do ?.

ReputationRep:
    :rofl: Haha, now that is random.

OP I wouldn't worry too much. If it makes you feel better, in my dreams my boyfriend and dad merge/morph into the other too :o: but that happens a lot in all my dreams with different people - although the boyfriend/dad thing has been far more frequent and noticeable recently

For me though, I think it's that I haven't really had much physical contact (and hardly any emotional either) with my dad over the past 4 years and my boyfriend has, in a weird and non-incestual way, taken over part of that role in that he looks after me, and takes care of me when I need him... something I haven't had for a long time from anyone.

But unlike you, I never realise they've morphed in the dream, so it's never 'incestual'... maybe that's the really worrying part :redface:

ReputationRep:
    I have wierd dreams like this all the time, i dont think its anything to worry about its something you cant controll and as long as you're not attracted to your dad in real life its not really relevent.

I think its because its something you dont want to think about, so if someone brings up incestual relationships your first moral instinct is to relate it to yourself to confirm its wrong. Like if you hear someones killed someone eles you think of how you would killing/ being the family of that person and when its a bad feeling you know its wrong.(not that you wouldnt know its wrong anyway) But because its so tabo you imediatly shove it to the back of your mind. So its in your subconcious which you cant controll in your dreams.

ReputationRep:
    Don't lie... :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    sigmund freud would have an explanation.

ReputationRep:
    Ah yes... reminds me of Freud. Since you're a woman you must have penis envy, I believe this is the source of your dream!

ReputationRep:
    Not as bad as dreaming that your dad was your boyfriend.

ReputationRep:
    kinky little *****.

ReputationRep:
    don't read too much into it. Last night I had a dream that all my friends turned out to be huge ducks in disguise. It was pretty scary, actually

(Original post by Necro Defain)
    Ah yes... reminds me of Freud. Since you're a woman you must have penis envy, I believe this is the source of your dream!
    hahaha. I probably do.

I just thought it was utterly weird, I'm not really worried about it as I'm pretty sure I don't fancy my dad :rolleyes: LOL at other people's weird dreams though, a block of ice?! I never have really weird dreams like that, they're always like real life but distorted, VERY distorted in this case...

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 9, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.