Turn on thread page Beta

New boyfriend didn't get me a present for my birthday - should I be concerned? watch

ReputationRep:
    I used to think presents were so important off boyfriends but now im happy just spending time with them on special occassions it means more and lasts longer

ReputationRep:
    Maybe he had no idea what to buy you? You've only been together for six weeks. Give him time... you said he splashes out cash on you when it comes to other things so be grateful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    He's been talking about me meeting his parents and me and him looking at houses together.

He's in his early thirties. Not sure if that effects anything.
    Hmm..I don't know..Maybe he couldn't think of the right present to get? I don't really think it's something deep..

ReputationRep:
    Quite vindictive considering its been 6 weeks and at least you got SOMETHING. Stop being so materialistic, it's the thought that counts.

ReputationRep:
    Yes indeed.

I'm not sure what to think. Maybe it's a sign that he doesn't really care.

But then, why does he want me to meet his parents? and why has he done other huge things that shows he cares (like travel accross the world just to see me when he was at a long conference).

It's all so strange.
    ah, one of them. What's the age difference?

I really don't know what to say, it's totally your call from here. But if it really bothers you, try and ask him nicely why he got you nothing :o:

Edit: just seen how old he is.. I don't personally think this is going to last. As long as you're happy.. good shag is he lol?

ReputationRep:
    I'd take it as a sign he's not serious about you at this stage - maybe he wants to take things slow?

Just ask him: there'll probably be a simple reason for it.

(Original post by MalcomNewMoney84)
    The age difference is 5/6 years. Can you elaborate.

ReputationRep:
    The age difference is 5/6 years. Can you elaborate.
    sorry i havent got the time

ReputationRep:
    I would have expected something, even if it was just a card and a box of chocolates. Doesn't take much thought or time does it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angel_with_horns)
    Don't listen to what everyone else says. He should have gotten you a bday present. You guys are at an early stage but still AT LEAST friends nonetheless. Is he stingy? If yes, dump the sucker.
    Lol what? Dump someone just because he didn't get them a present after 6 weeks?:rolleyes:
    OP, You shouldn't expect so much of him already.. sure it's your birthday, you got a card you should be grateful for this. If you're so upset that he didn't get you anything then should you really be in a relationship? especially if such a thing makes you doubt the way things are...?

Oh and looking at houses together already? wtf.

sorry i havent got the time
    If you do you might get rep. And it's nice rep.

ReputationRep:
    We've been together for about 6 weeks. He gave me a card and that's it. He's working full time with a very comfortable salary.

I wasn't expecting anything expensive, just a token. Even something handmade would have satisfied me.

I can't figure out why he didn't get me anything.

I can't really say anything to him without seeming like a gold digger or materialistic. But I'm hurt by the principle of it all.

What should I do?
    You got one, a card.
    You've only been together six weeks, expecting anything else is greedy.

ReputationRep:
    I can't figure out why he didn't get me anything.
    I think you're reading too much into it. He got you a card, and from what you say he doesn't mind spending money on you. So it's not like he forgot or he's stingy.

Maybe he just doesn't give anyone present on their birthday, or maybe he didn't know what would be appropriate. I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

ReputationRep:
    It's a tough one. But after considering the fact that his salary is reasonable - as you said. He probably should have got you something. But just move on, 6 weeks isn't really an epic amount of time to be in a relationship. At least you got a card. Then again, it's not very promising if these are going to be his antics lol!
    ^^Heyyy, weren't you the guy who made a big show of leaving TSR forever or something? :hmmm:

Oh and OP, just get the **** over it. It's six weeks - I wouldn't be expecting a present, or be giving one if it was the other way round, after such a short amount of time. I think the fact that he even remembered and got you a card is pretty admirable.

ReputationRep:

I really don't know what to say, it's totally your call from here. But if it really bothers you, try and ask him nicely why he got you nothing :o:

Edit: just seen how old he is.. I don't personally think this is going to last. As long as you're happy.. good shag is he lol?
    Exactly

To be honest if she asks him why he didn't get her a present he'll tell her to grow up and stop behaving like a petulant child. If he's 'one of those'

ReputationRep:
    If you do you might get rep. And it's nice rep.
    That's a very kind proposition But sadly I'm beyond the stage of actually giving two ***** about rep! Believe it or not, about a month ago I had 7 green gems. Cool beans :cool:

ReputationRep:
    I'd have at least took you out for a meal or something.

ReputationRep:
    mayb he spends enough money travelling across the world to see you, and he'd rather spend his money on other things.
    i think after 6 weeks i would like to be taken out for a meal or something if he didnt know how else to spend his money, or even just a little cinema trip.
    but kudos for him remembering and getting a card...my boyfriend doesnt get me cards, i would like a card with something sentimental written in it....

ReputationRep:
    Yes indeed.

I'm not sure what to think. Maybe it's a sign that he doesn't really care.

But then, why does he want me to meet his parents? and why has he done other huge things that shows he cares (like travel accross the world just to see me when he was at a long conference).

It's all so strange.
    Ok, considering that, it is kind of weird. And tbh, just my opinion, but I think 6 weeks of a committed relationship is enough to get something small. Even like flowers, some kind of food, or taking you somewhere fun (did he?) might have been appropriate. Or he could have just done something really nice, which wouldn't have cost him anything.
    Unless the card was actually really thoughtful, and he didn't just buy one and sign his name. If I were you, I'd be looking for thought behind it. But I'm not in your relationship and I don't know him so I have no idea what it means. But anyways, I wouldn't call this a deal breaker. Don't say anything about it because it can not end well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Fleur_)
    ^^Heyyy, weren't you the guy who made a big show of leaving TSR forever or something? :hmmm:

Oh and OP, just get the **** over it. It's six weeks - I wouldn't be expecting a present, or be giving one if it was the other way round, after such a short amount of time. I think the fact that he even remembered and got you a card is pretty admirable.
    Yes. And I think you know that as well :yes: Yeah I'm fine thanks.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 23, 2009
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.