Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

New boyfriend didn't get me a present for my birthday - should I be concerned? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I think you should wait and see what happen...I understand your feelings, but 6 weeks are really a short time in relationship!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MalcomNewMoney84)
    Yes. And I think you know that as well :yes: Yeah I'm fine thanks.
    You're right, I did. What I really meant to ask is.. why? Not that I'm not absolutely overjoyed or anything.

ReputationRep:
    guys find it hard enough to buy pressies for there girlfriends..he was proberly thinking **** what should i buy her and then proberly worrying would she like this or will she hate it..and he was proberly thinking i don't want to scare her off by buying her jewllary or anything as its too early.. i can understand why he just bought you a card...but he cuda picked up a box of choccies at the same time!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Fleur_)
    You're right, I did. What I really meant to ask is.. why? Not that I'm not absolutely overjoyed or anything.
    why not

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    We've been together for about 6 weeks. He gave me a card and that's it. He's working full time with a very comfortable salary.

I wasn't expecting anything expensive, just a token. Even something handmade would have satisfied me.

I can't figure out why he didn't get me anything.

I can't really say anything to him without seeming like a gold digger or materialistic. But I'm hurt by the principle of it all.

What should I do?
    The 'credit crunch' isn't a breakfast cereal you know...:rolleyes: :ninja:

Maybe he was just short of money this month or is planning a surprise.

But as mentioned before, you haven't been in a relationship very long...

Once you get further into the relationship he will start buying you better presents...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick_000)
    I'd have at least took you out for a meal or something.
    :flutter:

Would I have been invited back for "coffee" as well? :p:

ReputationRep:
    Aw that's not very nice of him. I normally will buy present for the birthday person if i happen to know it's their birthday even if he/ she is not my close friend. A card is just rubbish (from a bf)...

If you think it could be something deeper then you should ask him. talk to him. maybe u could say "oh, my friends asked me what i got form u for my birthday, i said u got me a card and they thought u were rubish (look sad)...why didnt u get me anything els?"

ReputationRep:
    I find that really weird tbh. He should have bought you something cheap and cheerful, like not worth more than £10. Even if it's something stupid like a little beanie, or a bar of nice soap, I dunno, something small and superfluous. You are having sex afterall.

ReputationRep:
    May be he is saving money for something bigger and would give u a present later?
    Or he doesn't know what u like or he is stingy

either way buy him a card a napkin and a lolipop for his birthday :>

ReputationRep:
    Why should you be concerned, in fact why does it even matter ..... it's just another day nothing special about it. You were born ( however many years) ago not then

ReputationRep:
    He might have many girlfriends like u

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ataloss)
    :flutter:

Would I have been invited back for "coffee" as well? :p:
    Not if it was the first date! :kiss2:

ReputationRep:
    I'd known my boyfriend for about 9 months when his birthday came around... I'm a GIRL and I found it so hard to think of/find a decent present! Guys are supposed to be rubbish at that sorta thing, especially at 6 weeks.

Least he got you a card!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by speedstacker)
    If you think it could be something deeper then you should ask him. talk to him. maybe u could say "oh, my friends asked me what i got form u for my birthday, i said u got me a card and they thought u were rubish (look sad)...why didnt u get me anything els?"

That's a really really bad thing to say. I'd quite possibly dump a girl for saying that.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I wouldn't be upset about the whole material side of it, but it just seems like he forgot (which is bad) or just couldn't be bothered (which is worse) I'd ask for an explanation and an apology, but give him a second chance, it could just be an accident... but then he could take you out for dinner as an apology :P

ReputationRep:
    Don't take it the wrong way tbh. I wouldnt be worried unless he hasnt done it before or you have known him for a while.

ReputationRep:
    I was with my boyfriend 4 years and he didn't get me a card, OP. If i were you, I wouldn't say anything, I wouldn't do anything. Knowing me I'd make a huuuge fuss of him on his birthday so he gets the idea that it's a big thing for me. Don't go sounding ungrateful by complaining, it's not sexy.

ReputationRep:
    My own parents didn't even give me a card (when I did on their birthdays and presents too).

I really wouldn't worry about it, lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    We've been together for about 6 weeks. He gave me a card and that's it. He's working full time with a very comfortable salary.

I wasn't expecting anything expensive, just a token. Even something handmade would have satisfied me.

I can't figure out why he didn't get me anything.

I can't really say anything to him without seeming like a gold digger or materialistic. But I'm hurt by the principle of it all.

What should I do?

I didn't get my ex-girlfriend a present for hers and that was after 8 months of our relationship. He probably likes you, just can't afford to buy you a present...

ReputationRep:
    People are different. I got my girlfriend a £40 bottle of perfume for valentines day, and I was only with her 2 weeks. That's just the way I am. She didn't get me anything, and I wasn't concerned. I didn't expect anything so early in the relationship.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 23, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.