Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Weight Training and Nutrition for a Scrum Half (Rugby) Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey

Basically I used to play rugby for 10 years or so and I gave up about 2 years ago now. I am 17 years old and I really need some tips on how to build myself up so I can get back playing at the start of next season. I am 6,0 but unfortunately I am only 10 stone, which is one of the reasons I gave up for.

I am currenty doing some weight work and some cycling and running, however some good advice on what type of weight training I should be doing and what I should be eating would be most helpful :yes:

P.S My bowels are quite bad at the moment so some tips on what to eat to improve my bowel movements would be useful also...Thanks

ReputationRep:
    For weights programmes, google "Starting Strength" and "Westside for Skinny *******s".

Theres some useful information in the sticky

As your 6ft and only 10 stone, you need to be getting a lot of food down you. You're very light for your height, and that won't bode well on the rugby field. Aim to eat 4-5-6 meals a day, consisting of lean meat/fish [chicken, steak, turkey, tuna, salmon etc], a source of carbohydrates [pasta, potatoes, rice] and vegetables. However, as your underweight you should really be shoveling anything down you as long as you gain a couple of stone! Anything will do, as long as its not stupidly unhealthy.

Well done on getting back into rugby, that should get you off to a good start

ReputationRep:
    Isn't scrum half a position? And isn't it the position that even 130lbers can play or something?

I'd love to play rugby but I'd never consider myself "big" enough

ReputationRep:
    Squats, deadlifts, rows, overhead presses.

ReputationRep:
    Yep eat what Khanage said, need to get lots of protein as your going to have to do some serious work in the gym so look at myprotein.co.uk It's really worth it if your going to be working out in the gym a few times a week. Even if not you can have a few of them a day. Bowels you need to be having fibre, so make sure your eating a good cereal for breakfast.

For scrumhalf you want to be getting your overall strength up before focusing on anything else just yet. Screw bicep curls and what not really and try and do either the starting strength program or just main exercsises like squats and deadlifts. If you google plyometric exercises that should also improve your bursts of speed/power with your ball on your occasional suprise attack from the ruck or what not.

Also you need to be making sure your cardio is ok as scrum half, lots of HIIT training and changing direction. But for your height and weight its eat, workout, eat sleep, repeat.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 30, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered nutrition and supplements threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.