Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have mild asthma so i am a bit worried.Might kill me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stephen L100)
    Basically like normal flu, with the ability to spread faster! No worries until/if it mutates for me!
    Well it has already shown resistance to tamiflu, it was on the news ages ago. So if its shown resistance, I'm 99% sure that it's mutated.

ReputationRep:
    I have actually heard on the grapevine that if it does get mega bad, then University students will be contained on campus, i.e not allowed to travel home.

This is what i've heard and dont know if its 100% true, but it is from a worker at a University in London.

ReputationRep:
    Ive had it, im safe!

ReputationRep:
    Been there, had that. Lived.

ReputationRep:
    Not worried at all and the school just down the road was closed because of it aswell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiss_me_now9)
    Not unless you're at risk - i.e you have an immune system problem, you're very young, elderly or have an underlying problem like asthma. AFAIK of all the 30 people so far, no-one who's died from it has *just* had Swine Flu.
    One women has died in Britain with no underlying health problems.

And swine flu is sweeping fast, albeit it is not lethal currently but it could potentially become as lethal as the 1918 pandemic in years to come. The influenze virus is continually evolving and this is not helped by the ecology we have created. What's particularly worrying is if this virus reassorts itself with a H1N1 virus that began circulating last year. If this happens then the virus will be resistant to Tamiflu, the anti-viral drug used for this year's H1N1 virus.

A severe pandemic on the scale of the 1918 pandemic could potentially occur in the next 50 years if new, drastic procedures are not set in place. For now, in Britain, the risk of death is probably low but in the near future, who knows...

Here's a link to a long article - but a very interesting one - which explains the history and future of H1N1:

http://www.newsweek.com/id/195692/page/1

ReputationRep:
    I'm not really worried about it all. Although after the news of the initial outbreak in Mexico, I was convinced we were in the midst of some kind of doomsday scenario :rolleyes: . Probably didn't really help when the officals were predicting millions of deaths on a global scale.

Tbh I reckon the virologists and stuff who work for the health agencies (DEFRA, WHO ect.) overhype the occaisional "doomsday strain" every now and then to massage their egos and make them feel important. We never really hear from them unless at least 2/3 of the world's population is at risk from extinction...

I hope to catch swine flu sometime soon anyway to get it over and done with

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T kay)
    One women has died in Britain with no underlying health problems.
    Which one? Link and source please.

ReputationRep:
    Not worried - and I have to use three methods of public transport to get to and from work (bus, train & tube) . Thus I am a walking swine-flu case waiting to happen.

Also, if we had no news outlets sort of 1348 black death stylee, would anyone be any the wise?

How much of it is being driven by the tabloid "OMGZ Weez orl gonna dye!!!" newspapers?

ReputationRep:
    Not very worried - the number of people who have died, comparing to those who've contracted and survived it means it's not a great threat. About the same die from regular flu.

The media have just hyped it up

ReputationRep:
    i think the media and the government have blown it out of proportion completely; a hell of a lot of people i know have/ have had it and they've all been fine. i wouldn't be worried, yet i have underlying health conditions and my immune system is pretty terrible, so i can't help but be a bit concerned about how well my body would react if i caught it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)
    Flu, and it knocked me out for a week or two, but I recovered. I don't understand the obsession with getting vaccinated, and treated; it'll only mutate anyway.
    completely agree! :p:

ReputationRep:
    I'm almost certain I'll get it. Glasgow is supposed to be a hot spot and if you take into account that I spend most my day either in the medical school where doctors and medical students are constantly in hospitals and in contact with potential patients, or actually in a hospital The medical school also happens to be beside a hospital which is reassuring!

ReputationRep:
    Not very worried.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    I used to get flu almost every year as a kid (in fact, this year and last year have been the only years in my memory when I haven't had it), so I don't think getting it would be that much of a surprise for me. A few of my friends have either had it or have got it, and a couple of family members couldn't come to my birthday meal last weekend because of it, so it wouldn't surprise me much if I do get it. Am I particularly worried? Not really... beyond the usual hygiene stuff, there's nothing I can do to avoid it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)
    I'm not too worried. The first 'victim' of swine flu in our office went home yesterday, and wasn't in today. I've had slight breathing problems and a headache since yesterday, with a slight cough every now and again; but at the end of the day, if I've got it I'm not bothered - it's just flu.
    youre from preston! noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. anyway, quite a few people in preston have got the flu. our high school closed early as it was spreading fast

ReputationRep:
    I'm really worried about it spoiling my holiday, but apart from that not really fussed.

Would rather not get it when im working! Need rthe money!

ReputationRep:
    Not arsed

ReputationRep:
    I'm not worried if I get it, but I am worried about the elderly members of my family who have the famed 'serious underlying health problems' getting it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.