Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Swine flu - how worried are you? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Not worried about it at all for myself.
    I am worried my baby niece may contract it though.

Not worried at all.

ReputationRep:
    Not worried at all. It's just like Bird Flue ie the media chatting out of their arses as usual.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not too concerned as I may not even get it and the media is really hyping it up. However I do have 'underlying health problems' and flu has hospitalised me before so I think if someone I know catches it/ I get it, then I will be worried. So far, nobody I know has had it.

ReputationRep:
    http://revolutionradio.org/2009/07/1...alth-problems/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiss_me_now9)
    Which one? Link and source please.

Apparently it severly weakened her immune system. As I said in my previous post, in Britain, we needn't worry too much if we are perfectly healthy, but the future looks scary if drastic measures aren't taken to prevent the virus from evolving.

ReputationRep:
    Is the intentional spreading of swine flue a criminal act yet? Like with AIDS?

ReputationRep:
    I'm more scared of the panic it will cause, like going back to university in September when autumn brings the new flu season. People will do stupid **** like panic buy and hoard resources.

ReputationRep:
    I am worried about my Gran.

ReputationRep:
    :woo:

ReputationRep:
    :oink:

ReputationRep:
    Why worry. Its not as bad as the real flu.

ReputationRep:
    Not worried at All.

ReputationRep:
    Not worried one bit.

But would like to get it now so that it would be over and done with, rather than if I were to get it at Uni.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not too worried tbh

I think most people in this country has either already had it or has it currently. They probably think it's hayfever or just just any normal flu. I think it's been blown out of proportion. I read on some report in the news that the goverment expects half of 12-16 year olds to get it ... The goverments talking ****!

ReputationRep:
    I am resigned to the fact that I will get it, and I'm perfectly ready for it. The sooner the better, I don't want it in the throes of winter and I have 4 weeks ahead to wile away, although I suppose having it in schooltime always feels like more of an advantage. Granted I will feel terrible, if its anything like the one time I had tonsilitis then it won't exactly be fun times, but I'm most certainly not going to run around like a headless chicken about it. A few days of crappiness followed and made up for by decent immunity - what could be so bad?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T kay)

Apparently it severly weakened her immune system. As I said in my previous post, in Britain, we needn't worry too much if we are perfectly healthy, but the future looks scary if drastic measures aren't taken to prevent the virus from evolving.
    Fair enough, but 1 in 30 people who've died from it in the entire country - No way near enough to start panicking about imo. Not bad odds I think!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k9ruby)
    Swine flu - how worried are you?

Discuss.

I wonder whether pets are safe from this? I'm more worried about the virus mutating to another species and my dog getting this than anything else lol.
    I'm worried about how much drug making companies (whoever the **** is spinning out Tamiflu and the like) are making out of this sh*t. got their hands right up newspapers arses, even the Guardian went crazy over it awhile back, like the four horseman had rode in, pathetic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiss_me_now9)
    Fair enough, but 1 in 30 people who've died from it in the entire country - No way near enough to start panicking about imo. Not bad odds I think!
    Can I just clarify sorry, 1 in 30 people in the entire country would be 2 million people. That over the space of a year is frightnening as anything, but it won't happen.
    Surely you mean 1 in 30 of those that have contracted it?? even still, thats high.
    where did that figure come from? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Having already had it and recovered I'm not worried at all.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.