Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just looking at going to have a gander at Oxford at some point in the holidays, but it's really hard to decide which colleges to look at :/

Can anyone give advice etc. about individual colleges?
    e.g. where has nicer accomodation/ a nicer atmosphere etc..

I'd really appreciate it

thanksss x

ReputationRep:
    I really liked the atmosphere at Magdalen. And the architecture is gorgeous.

Not mentioning that there's often filming going on!

Not as close knit as the other college on my then-shortlist, Mansfield College, though.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...Oxford_College

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki..._Pros_and_Cons

ReputationRep:
    mansfield
    but yeah look on the wiki.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noémie)
    mansfield
    but yeah look on the wiki.
    This

But seriously, look on the wiki pages and you'll get an idea what the various pros and cons of each college are, and if there are any open days left, go on one.

Id recommend Balliol, Oriel, Brasenose, Johns, maybe Corpus too.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I'd recommend Worcester :ninja:

We have nice accommodation (72% en suite with access to kitchens) and a nice atmosphere (friendly people, big lawns, lake, ducks) :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Everyone's just going to recommend their own colleges - check out prospectus' and the wiki articles posted above and make up your own mind. If you have any specific questions or criteria then come back and you'll find people who'll help you out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mook)
    Everyone's just going to recommend their own colleges
    Which goes to show that people are happy with whatever college they end up at. Don't agonise over it....

DtS

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, can anyone please tell me which colleges offer: an ensuite single room with free internet access at the room?

I couldn't find it on the Oxford College Pros and Cons page.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haloalkane)
    Hi there, can anyone please tell me which colleges offer: an ensuite single room with free internet access at the room?

I couldn't find it on the Oxford College Pros and Cons page.
    I haven't heard of a single Oxford college that doesn't have ethernet ports in their rooms, and unless you are looking at couples accommodation assume that every single room will be single. So just look at which rooms offer ensuite.

ReputationRep:
    when i looked my favourites were wadham, brasenose and balliol.
    merton is pretty too.

I'd recommend St Peter's - top people and a great atmosphere - I am slightly biased though
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by JCM89)
    I'd recommend St Peter's - top people and a great atmosphere - I am slightly biased though
    Ah, I'll back you up on St. Peter's. Fab bar and good accommodation too, from what I've seen

ReputationRep:
    I liked St Peter's too when I looked round (nice and compact).

ReputationRep:
    I'd recommend LMH, but then I am studying there! It's a really good idea to come have a look around though, there are informal open days running in September, I know ours is 18th Sept as I'm helping at it, but check the college websites.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swiftuk)
    I liked St Peter's too when I looked round (nice and compact).
    the mini cooper of colleges!

ReputationRep:
    hi, which colleges offer a gym on site?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haloalkane)
    hi, which colleges offer a gym on site?
    Not that many any more, but bear in mind that with the size of Oxford it's less of a consideration. Like my college, Jesus, used to have a tiny gym on site, but now they pay for 10 flexible memberships each for swim and gym. So unless there's a whole team out training together (in which case you wouldn't be able to get in the college gym anyway!) then you just sign out the card and walk or cycle the less-than-a-mile to Iffley Rd and the uni gym!

ReputationRep:
    I've loved Merton, so if you want a pretty college, with good, cheap food, a gym on-site, genuinely friendly people, good, cheap accommodation for your whole course (either in College, or on Holywell street - even more central!), I'd recommend taking a look.
    And the workaholic thing is not a requirement - it's a stereotype some students choose to subscribe to, but nothing more drastic than in the rest of Oxford!
    PM me if you want any questions answered, and hope you find the right college for you!

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.