Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

(Original post by henryt)
    I've loved Merton, so if you want a pretty college, with good, cheap food, a gym on-site, genuinely friendly people, good, cheap accommodation for your whole course (either in College, or on Holywell street - even more central!), I'd recommend taking a look.
    And the workaholic thing is not a requirement - it's a stereotype some students choose to subscribe to, but nothing more drastic than in the rest of Oxford!
    PM me if you want any questions answered, and hope you find the right college for you!
    Do you find that even if the students arent workaholics, that the tutors are sufficently whip baring and evil to justify the merton myth?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Turdburger)
    Do you find that even if the students arent workaholics, that the tutors are sufficently whip baring and evil to justify the merton myth?
    The Maths tutors are completely relaxed. I usually go into a tutorial expecting to talk about my work, and then they'll just show me a 'funny' XKCD comic, or ask me whether I want some tea, or how acting is going, and if I haven't handed stuff in, they'll just get it late and either a) not notice or b) be polite enough not to mention it! It's quite nice, really! I've heard some (read: Law) of the tutors can be slave-drivers, but it's not a Merton 'thing'!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the help guys. I'm going to be applying for maths and I'm looking for these things most importantly:
    1. access to a good gym
    2. en-suite facility every year
    3. kitchen facility for self catering
    4. close to the maths department/classes etc.

Which colleges out of the following meet this criteria so that I can narrow my list down further:

1. Balliol College
    2. Lady Margaret Hall
    3. Magdalen College
    4. Mansfield College
    5. Merton
    6. Oriel College
    7, Pembroke College
    8. St Catherine's
    9. St Edmund Hall (Teddy Hall)
    10. St Hugh's College
    11. St John's College
    12. Worcester College

If anyone is at any of these colleges could you perhaps comment on whether it is possible to get my requirements. Feel free to PM me if you wish.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Haloalkane)
    Thanks for the help guys. I'm going to be applying for maths and I'm looking for these things most importantly:
    1. access to a good gym

Which colleges out of the following meet this criteria so that I can narrow my list down further:

1. Balliol College
    2. Lady Margaret Hall
    3. Magdalen College
    4. Mansfield College
    5. Merton
    6. Oriel College
    7, Pembroke College
    8. St Catherine's
    9. St Edmund Hall (Teddy Hall)
    10. St Hugh's College
    11. St John's College
    12. Worcester College

If anyone is at any of these colleges could you perhaps comment on whether it is possible to get my requirements. Feel free to PM me if you wish.
    For Worcester:

1. I dunno how good the gym is but there's a gym and loads of people use it!
    2. First year accommodation is a lottery: you don't know what you'll get until you arrive! When I joined there was hardly any en suite accommodation for first years but that's changed a fair bit. So there's about a 50-60% chance you'll end up with an ensuite in the first year. The majority of accommodation after that is ensuite.
    3. If you ask for it, you can probs be guaranteed that for the duration of the course.
    4. No idea!

ReputationRep:
    Guaranteed en suite accommodation every year probably rules out nearly every college (except maybe Catz) for first year, and most of the older colleges for subsequent years.

Living on site for the duration and kitchen provision are typically better at older colleges than newer ones.

Nowhere is that far from anywhere in Oxford, certainly not with a bike.

Worth having a skim of the College Pros & Cons wiki.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by henryt)
    The Maths tutors are completely relaxed. I usually go into a tutorial expecting to talk about my work, and then they'll just show me a 'funny' XKCD comic,[...]
    This sounds like Dr He's sort of thing. Are the others so relaxed? :hmmm:

ReputationRep:
    1. access to a good gym
    For Oriel:
    1. We do have a gym but to be honest it's pretty much just intended for rowers, so it has weights and rowing machines but that's about it. We're nice and close to Christ Church Meadows, so most people just go jogging down there.

2. Oriel's pretty good for en-suite as far as I can tell. Rooms are graded according to quality, so you have to pay more for them, but virtually everyone I know who applied for an A-grade room before they came up got either an ensuite or a pretty decent bathroom shared with one other person. Second year is pretty similar, and if you live out in the third year annexe then I think all of the rooms are ensuite.

3. The college buildings are pretty old, so the scope for kitchens isn't exactly extensive, but we've got at least two kitchens with ovens, freezers etc. on the main site (I think there's another in the first quad but I'm not entirely sure it has an oven - might just be hobs), one on the island site and then there are a fair few microwaves scattered about the place. I know quite a few people who cook for themselves on a day-to-day basis with no problem at all.

4. No idea where the maths department is, but I see the mathmos wandering off to lectures together on foot, so I'm guessing it's not far. But like others have said, nothing is really very far in Oxford at all, and Oriel is very central.

Thanks guys! oh could you also tell me if your college allows a fridge in the room?
    Yep, fridges are most definitely allowed and pretty much everyone gets one, normally starting off small with the cheapest Argos can supply and getting progressively bigger as the year goes by. People also have kettles, toasters, toastie makers and George Foremans in their rooms, but I'm not sure to what extent these are actually 'allowed'; just be nice to your scout and make sure they're not prominently displayed when the tech guys come round to test things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BJack)
    This sounds like Dr He's sort of thing. Are the others so relaxed? :hmmm:
    No - Dr. He is the one who gives us tea, and who often a) falls asleep during tutorials or b) is asleep when you come to the tutorial. He also enjoys playing games on Miniclip, and proceeds to show us how addictive 'Cave Ninja' is! He also sets our 'Midnight Collection' with Pembroke, which is Port, Sub-Fusc and biscuit filled.
    Prof. Scott shows us the XKCD comics - he loves maths jokes, and will crack them every so often. He also has a red button on the desk from Staples which proclaims 'That was easy!' in an American accent, which you *have* to press if you found a question easy.
    Prof. Tillmann makes cakes sometimes for her tutes, and is generally quite funny (in a strange way), but I've had the least exposure to her, as I took none of her optional subjects (hate Algebra!), and she was on sabbatical for most of last year... They really are relaxed.
    Obviously, they want us to do well, and they'll provide plenty of revision classes nearer to exams (which I think is why Merton does do well), but you're not obliged to attend them. They're much more supportive than whip-baring. There was a Mathmo who only got a Pass (30-39%) in their Mods - so they decided to take some time out, and reapply for Chemistry - tutors were like 'Sure! But if that doesn't work out, you've always got a place for Maths.' So they went and did Accountancy for a year, reapplied for Chemistry, didn't work out, so they came back and are now in my year, doing absolutely fine.
    If they were at another college (I've heard plenty of horror stories about LMH and other colleges, don't know if they're true...!), that Pass could've resulted in Academic probation or even something more serious.

ReputationRep:
    For St. Edmund Hall (Teddy Hall):

1)There is a gym, but it isn't great, or in that convenient a place.

2)You won't get en-suite in your first year. The other years are a lottery.

3)There are decent kitchens in every accommodation building as far as I know.

4)Must admit I'm not sure where the maths department is. In second and fourth year (if applicable) you'd would likely end up in a block some considerable way from the main college site anyway, so it would vary from year to year.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys! oh could you also tell me if your college allows a fridge in the room?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    1. access to a good gym

10. St Hugh's College

1. Hugh's has a gym and it's being refurbished this summer (I think), but I've never actually been...:o:
    2. Not in first year, but thereafter, yes. Accomodation is provided for your whole degree and, apart from first year, can be en-suite (for no extra cost).
    3. Yup, all rooms have access to a kitchen.
    4. Short walk, even faster on a bike.

And yes, a friend of mine has a fridge in her room so I presume it's okay.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Every Worcester room has a fridge :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    Every Worcester room has a fridge :yes:
    Except some of those with shared kitchens afaik.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by swiftuk)
    Except some of those with shared kitchens afaik.
    Really? I didn't realise that. Not sure bout postgrad rooms but I was always told every undergrad room has a fridge

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    Really? I didn't realise that. Not sure bout postgrad rooms but I was always told every undergrad room has a fridge
    Looks like the undergrad rooms only - website says all the undergrad rooms have fridges, postgrad it says 'All of the single graduate accommodation has shared kitchens and there are telephones and Ethernet ports in all the rooms'.

As the OP's asking about undergrad, then you're right anyway

ReputationRep:
    All this talk about fridges in rooms — pah! My room at Merton doubled as a fridge. Beat that. :proud:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by BJack)
    All this talk about fridges in rooms — pah! My room at Merton doubled as a fridge. Beat that. :proud:
    :hugs: :console:

ReputationRep:
    Just Wondering Why There Is No Kellogg College In The Sub-ox?

ReputationRep:
    Partly, because we only have threads for colleges where there are people at them. There's no point in someone creating an All Souls thread when there's nobody to answer questions. But also because it's not a college that people apply to go to. It's the collegiate affiliation of people doing part time and continuing education courses. So there's nothing that people might want to know about Kellogg that couldn't be addressed in the main forum.

ReputationRep:
    But Kellogg Recently Enroll Full-time Students, Just Like I Am. That's Ok With No Such College Included, I Feel Totally No Problem With That, Just Wondering, That's All. Thanks For Ur Reply

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.