Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am going in to college next year and need help deciding my options. I am thinking about doing a psychology degree but i still want to keep my options open...

i'm not sure whether or not i should take maths because i'm sure it'll help me but apparently you have to really love maths to be able to take it and i don't think i do. also do i need it if i wana do psychology?

my options for now are

english lit
    psychology
    maths
    philosophy

thanks in advance =)

ReputationRep:
    No you dont have to love maths to excel at it, of course have some interest in it. Do you like problem solving? Algebra?

yes I think you should take maths, keep your options open. For all you know you might end up wanting to do a degree in finance, economics, or even engineering!
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    You'll learn to love it :p: And although I don't think it's an explicit requirement for Psychology at any universities, it will definitely give you an advantage -- there is a lot of statistics involved, at least at uni level, but also A-level if you have to do any research coursework.

ReputationRep:
    You don't need a real love of maths to do maths, that is only really necessary for further maths and beyond. It is very useful though.

ReputationRep:
    A level maths is easy peasy. No actual thinking is needed lol, i'd take it and no, you don't need to love it

ReputationRep:
    1- alevel maths is not very difficult at all
    2- it is v.important and highly recommedable for a wide range of uni courses
    3- it is useful to you with everything u do

thus i recommend it

ReputationRep:
    The only hard module in maths is C4, and that's more to do with the volume of material you have to learn more than it being intrinsically harder.

can I just say that if you're looking to do a pschology degree and want to keep your options open, I say you should also take biology.

possibly instead of psychology a level?

(Original post by natalie_gs)
    No you dont have to love maths to excel at it, of course have some interest in it. Do you like problem solving? Algebra?

yes I think you should take maths, keep your options open. For all you know you might end up wanting to do a degree in finance, economics, or even engineering!
    Providing she does physics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)

true..and i am most definitely not doing physics :p:

ReputationRep:
    why is everyone saying maths a level is easy? its only easy if you are naturally very talented at maths. And compared to other subjects like biology or geography, its a lot harder in terms of the amount of brain power used.

ReputationRep:
    Biology would be more useful in psychology than maths IMO.

ReputationRep:
    Biology
    Maths
    Psychology
    English Literature

Maybe change maths for History

ReputationRep:
    Well no, there are some engineering courses that don't need physics, like engineering maths at Bristol etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JayAyy)
    Biology would be more useful in psychology than maths IMO.
    err, why?

ReputationRep:
    I think Maths is an alright subject to take for a Psychology degree. I agree with others here that Maths is easy if you're talented at it but also there is little thinking involved - Maths involves you practising what you're taught, and other things I've forgotten to mention here :redface:
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by Totally Tom)
    err, why?
    I'm not sure whether it would be more useful than Maths, but I'd agree that Biology is very useful in Psychology; particularly when looking at neuroanatomy, physiology, genetics and that sort of thing (of which there is a lot in the A-level at least, whether there is or not at uni level).

(Original post by natalie_gs)
    Well no, there are some engineering courses that don't need physics, like engineering maths at Bristol etc.
    Is that an MEng/BEng?

And tbh, even if the course doesn't specify physics, it would be helpful imo.

ReputationRep:
    Is that an MEng/BEng?

And tbh, even if the course doesn't specify physics, it would be helpful imo.
    Its an MEng!

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/prospectus/...188/admissions

Anyway I wans't exaactly suggesting the OP go down this route, lol I was just showing him/her thier options they could have by choosing maths at A-level

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Totally Tom)
    err, why?
    Overlap of topics.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.