Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok. This is a warning to students looking to rent in London. Foxtons are the most sly people I have ever known. I recently moved out of a flat of theirs with my girlfriend and the whole process has been complete hell. They bombared you with hidden costs and have the worst customer service I have ever known. They have made living in London an absolute hell to us both. Therefore I am on a campaign to WARN students of their evil ways. DO NOT deal with them. This is just the beginning I will bring them PR hell! If you have any experiences with them feel free to blog it here.

Be aware at all times they lurk the street of London in horrible minis and flashy clothing all paid for with your money. I can only hope that the recession exposes them for the crooks they are!

But seriously BEWARE of Foxtons! Do not deal with them! They are not good to students.

ReputationRep:
    If they are that bad have you thought about speaking to Watchdog or consumerdirect?

ReputationRep:
    I find them rather rip-off-like from their website.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Patrick213)
    Ok. This is a warning to students looking to rent in London. Foxtons are the most sly people I have ever known. I recently moved out of a flat of theirs with my girlfriend and the whole process has been complete hell. They bombared you with hidden costs and have the worst customer service I have ever known. They have made living in London an absolute hell to us both. Therefore I am on a campaign to WARN students of their evil ways. DO NOT deal with them. This is just the beginning I will bring them PR hell! If you have any experiences with them feel free to blog it here.

Be aware at all times they lurk the street of London in horrible minis and flashy clothing all paid for with your money. I can only hope that the recession exposes them for the crooks they are!

But seriously BEWARE of Foxtons! Do not deal with them! They are not good to students.
    I can only assume that you're new to the London housing market.

Foxtons are well known and hated for their way of doing business.

Have a look at:
    http://www.wehatefoxtons.com/

They've also just lost a major court case:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8144161.stm

ReputationRep:
    Anyone who knows anything about renting or buying houses knows that Foxtons are considered to be an absolute joke in the industry. They are very well know for their sharp practice and you're better off not even bothering with them.

Actually I'm surprised they let to you, given that you were/are students. All the Foxtons agents I've ever known avoid students like the plague, they don't like annoying people who've got a University behind them ...

ReputationRep:
    And I've got a viewing booked with them. Glad I read this thread now before I signed for anything.

Does anyone have any recommendations for agents to go with in central London? Do Winkworth, Saffron or Victor Stone have a good name? I can find some reviews for Winkworth online (which are mostly negative it has to be said - although not as bad as Foxtons from the looks of it), but very little on the others.

ReputationRep:
    FOXTONS? As a Londoner I can advise you to keep away from them. Their properties may seem appealing and 'unique' but you have to pay through the roof before you even set foot into one of their properties. They are a marketing genius and financial crooks. They apparently expanded into the US market - I dont know how well they have done, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loafer)
    i have been dealing with foxtons for a year or so and my family for much longer. They have been brilliant.

i have nothing bad to say about them.
    looooooooollll!!!

okay, go to google.. and search: foxtons crooks!! you will learn allot about the business.. i would love to work for them actually, i would learn to be the biggest crook in the world!! bbc had a reporter working there undercover, the issue even got the the parliment.. really.. do some research before giving our your opinion. not just loafer.. but everyone else on this thread who were positive about foxtons!!!

ReputationRep:
    I used Winkworths, and they even waived off the estate agent fee since I was a student. Extremely good, although I think each office is independently run, so it depends on the area you look in.
    Foxtons - I cant say much!! A friend of mine used them a couple of years ago, and ended up with no heat over Christmas. It was 'managed by Foxtons'...No one I know has used them ever since.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pikey)
    And I've got a viewing booked with them. Glad I read this thread now before I signed for anything.

Does anyone have any recommendations for agents to go with in central London? Do Winkworth, Saffron or Victor Stone have a good name? I can find some reviews for Winkworth online (which are mostly negative it has to be said - although not as bad as Foxtons from the looks of it), but very little on the others.
    Victor Stone are the scum under the rim of the toilet bowl in the lettings World. Avoid.

Submit reply
Updated: August 8, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.