Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Well, I am have just finished Year 10 now. Hence, I am thnking of applying to a few schools over the sumer for college/sixth form. I have a few questions about grammer school.
    Firstly, can you apply disregarding the location of your home? Or are you at more/less advantages druing the application process based upon your home address? Also, do you have to sit entrance exams? What level of difficulity would these be?

Also, if assuming I acheive the same grades at a grammer school as I would do at a public school, would it make it any differences to my uni application?

Also, are extra topics taught at grammer schools, or do they all follow the same curriculum?

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    grammAr school.
    other than that, the general rule is that it's exactly the same as normal schools. individual schools will make their own rules for admission. it is highly unlikely you will have to do any sort of entrance exam. they will use your gcse results as a measure of your suitability, along with an interview, probably.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noémie)
    grammAr school.
    other than that, the general rule is that it's exactly the same as normal schools. individual schools will make their own rules for admission. it is highly unlikely you will have to do any sort of entrance exam. they will use your gcse results as a measure of your suitability, along with an interview, probably.
    This.

It varies but I know my grammar school wanted incoming people to have 6 B's at least.

ReputationRep:
    as long as you get the gcse grades needed for you're courses it really doesn't matter where you came from

no extra topics are taught, but they make you aim for the highest grades, and will support you to do this

usually the range of A-levels is greater at a grammar school (i don't know exactly though)

you will probabily be asked to go to an interview like you would if you were applying to any sixth form and are not currently at the school

hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, Grammar Schools are pretty damn savage :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Location will matter if it's competitive as they'll take how far you live from the school into consideration when deciding to make you a place.
    Entry at 16+ is based on your GCSEs, at my 6th form those already in the grammar school had to get 6Bs and 2Cs but apparently it was slightly higher for those applying from outside.

The range at our 6th form is pretty poor with mainly the more "academic" subjects being offered as opposed to those blacklisted (i.e. photography, media studies and dance weren't offered) however another grammar school nearby offer these subjects - so really it will range depending on where you're looking at.

Chances are they'll interview you too.

ReputationRep:
    (So, my location does not matter?)^^^Beaten to it

ReputationRep:
    You've got to think;

Will the grammar school be able to advance you in anyway?
    Usually they have better facilities/equipment and less people in each class - this usually is better
    Then you have the problem of "posh & snobby" people there i know grammar schools near me do...

ReputationRep:
    How much of an anvantage academically would you get in a grammar school?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    If your a remotely bright all you should need is like 6 B's to get into most but depending on the Grammar school in question you may need to be predicted mostly A's a GCSE, i dont think it matters about location.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Troubled_Student)
    You've got to think;

Will the grammar school be able to advance you in anyway?
    Usually they have better facilities/equipment and less people in each class - this usually is better
    Then you have the problem of "posh & snobby" people there i know grammar schools near me do...
    Not necessarily my friend

ReputationRep:
    grammAr school.
    Your school wasn't a grammar though, technically. :ninja:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    For me it was alot, being in an environment where everyone is pretty smart and wants to achieve the best really pushes you to get the best grades but in my school the teaching was pretty awful in general but i guess that prepares you more for Uni.

ReputationRep:
    For range of subject, it'll depend with some schools only offering 'academic' subjects. However, I'd have to say, if one was looking to do 'blacklisted' or less academic subjects, I don't see what the point would be in applying for a grammar school anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QED)
    Your school wasn't a grammar though, technically. :ninja:
    oh stop stalking me
    and besides, i didn't say anything about my school being a grammar and therefore i would know, now did i

ReputationRep:
    oh stop stalking me
    and besides, i didn't say anything about my school being a grammar and therefore i would know, now did i
    It was most definitely implied somewhere. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MalcomNewMoney84)
    Not necessarily my friend

Yes i know not necessarily, but most often yes thats one of the pro's to going to a grammar rather than a state school - they usually have better equipment/facilities/teachers etc. i'm speaking from my own experience anyway.

ReputationRep:
    well a grammar is technically a state school but they generally ask higher grades as they generally produce higher grades. My school (grammar) asks for 3 A and 6 B to continue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QED)
    It was most definitely implied somewhere. :p:
    ...it really wasn't :confused:

ReputationRep:
    ...it really wasn't :confused:
    I know. :shh:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.