Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noémie)
    oh stop stalking me
    and besides, i didn't say anything about my school being a grammar and therefore i would know, now did i
    You went to Watford Grammar? Sick'ed... Nick Leeson was such a ledge.

ReputationRep:
    How about a spelling school? :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Troubled_Student)
    Yes i know not necessarily, but most often yes thats one of the pro's to going to a grammar rather than a state school - they usually have better equipment/facilities/teachers etc. i'm speaking from my own experience anyway.
    so am i

ReputationRep:
    I went to a grammar school and had to take an entrance exam to get in aged 11 but everyone who applied for sixth form there (even if they were already at the school) had to have an interview with one of the senior teachers and it was also based on GCSEs results. You had to have a 6 point average which is an average of a B and you also had to have at least a B in every subject you wanted to take at A-level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MalcomNewMoney84)
    how do you know which school i went to?
    (Original post by qed)
    same to you bub.
    *squint*

ReputationRep:
    My school asks for 45 points to get back in.

B=46.

ReputationRep:
    *squint*
    I've spoken to you on here before, we've a few mutual friends. And MalcolmNewMoney, Nick Leeson went to Parmiters, I think.

ReputationRep:
    Location MAY matter, it may not. My grammar school took the brightest people regardless of where they lived, a lot of students had to travel over an hour to get there. However, another grammar school that I know of did take location into account. It's something to check with the individual school.
    There might be a wider range of A-level subjects offered, but not necessarily. I reckon my grammar school actually gave less choice than the average sixth form college, as it didnt offer any/many of the 'less academically rigorous' subjects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QED)
    I've spoken to you on here before, we've a few mutual friends. And MalcolmNewMoney, Nick Leeson went to Parmiters, I think.
    who's nick leeson?
    okay, as long as you're not stalking me too much

ReputationRep:
    who's nick leeson?
    okay, as long as you're not stalking me too much
    I'm barely stalking you at all. :ninja:

Nick Leeson singlehandedly collapsed a bank in the mid 90s through terrible trading and hiding it from his superiors. He was from Watford. Woop.

ReputationRep:
    I moved up from a Comp to a Grammar School for 6th Form. I would say, that the name of the school helped me with Uni applications, especially for a competitive subject. Some will say this isn't true, but comparing to the poor nature of my previous school, mediocre GCSE grades and the fact my AS's were under the offer grades, it clearly helped, as did excellent recommendations.

We needed GCSE A*/A in subjects we wanted to study for A Level (though some got on courses with Bs), and these more rigorous entrance conditions clearly pushed the schools results up. The jump academically was staggering; so much more of a focus on hard work (I didn't ever get free periods, all my time was allocated to studying). Be prepared to be around people that are effortlessly smart, those that only spend their time studying and to have yourself pushed even harder. I would say the extra pressure of the new school contributed to me becoming depressed, but its all worked out with my A Levels.

I'd seriously advise considering whether you like to study in a relaxed or tense atmosphere before you definitely decide. Go and visit, look at the options etc.

It was the right decision for me in the end, but it wouldn't be for everyone. Bare in mind, that the school I went to, was just one. With a Hitlerf-alike for a headteacher. Others may be less strict and have a less pressured atmosphere. I'm just speaking of my own experiences of changing over.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QED)
    I'm barely stalking you at all. :ninja:

Nick Leeson singlehandedly collapsed a bank in the mid 90s through terrible trading and hiding it from his superiors. He was from Watford. Woop.
    interesting. is he the same person as liam neeson?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Troubled_Student)
    Yes i know not necessarily, but most often yes thats one of the pro's to going to a grammar rather than a state school - they usually have better equipment/facilities/teachers etc. i'm speaking from my own experience anyway.
    A grammar school is a state school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QED)
    no. he went Watford G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olivia_Lightbulb)
    My bad, a normal school

ReputationRep:
    Here's the deal at my grammar school sixth form:

- 12 points from your best 8 GCSEs, where C=1, B=2 and A/A*=3. That's a minimum of 4 Bs and 4 Cs.
    - Minimum of B in the subjects you're taking, but this is emphasised as an absolute bare minimum, and if you're struggling for a B they advise you to go somewhere else/take something else. Also minimum of A in Maths for Further Maths.
    - Interviews in groups at lunchtime for kids from our school, I'm not sure how the interviews worked for others.

I think my school are more interested in people who will work hard and aim reasonably high, rather than just grabbing genius kids. Based on the attitude the sixth form staff seem to have, I would guess that they offer places to people from other schools if they have:

- Above average (but not necessarily incredible) grades.
    - High grades/predictions in chosen subjects.
    - Reasonable level of enthusiasm in chosen subjects.

But they seem quite caring, and I think they would accept most people who could convince them that they would work hard and behave as long as they met the minimum grades. But the sixth form does seem fairly relaxed compared to some grammar school sixth forms and the main school, like we have an office dress code instead of wearing suits and proper formal clothes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MalcomNewMoney84)
    no. he went Watford G
    No, he didn't. I'm certain I'd know if he did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twig)
    Well, I am have just finished Year 10 now. Hence, I am thnking of applying to a few schools over the sumer for college/sixth form. I have a few questions about grammer school.
    Firstly, can you apply disregarding the location of your home? Or are you at more/less advantages druing the application process based upon your home address? Also, do you have to sit entrance exams? What level of difficulity would these be?

Also, if assuming I acheive the same grades at a grammer school as I would do at a public school, would it make it any differences to my uni application?

Also, are extra topics taught at grammer schools, or do they all follow the same curriculum?

Cheers
    Our school wants an average of A's at GCSE.
    And, don't listen to these people about there not being any difference between grammar schools and state schools. If the school is independent, then they choose their own curricula.

EDIT: Our sixth form is the largest in the country, yet is quite relaxed compared with the lower years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olivia_Lightbulb)
    No, it isn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fubsadoo)
    Here's the deal at my grammar school sixth form:

- 12 points from your best 8 GCSEs, where C=1, B=2 and A/A*=3. That's a minimum of 4 Bs and 4 Cs.
    - Minimum of B in the subjects you're taking, but this is emphasised as an absolute bare minimum, and if you're struggling for a B they advise you to go somewhere else/take something else. Also minimum of A in Maths for Further Maths.
    - Interviews in groups at lunchtime for kids from our school, I'm not sure how the interviews worked for others.

I think my school are more interested in people who will work hard and aim reasonably high, rather than just grabbing genius kids. Based on the attitude the sixth form staff seem to have, I would guess that they offer places to people from other schools if they have:

- Above average (but not necessarily incredible) grades.
    - High grades/predictions in chosen subjects.
    - Reasonable level of enthusiasm in chosen subjects.

But they seem quite caring, and I think they would accept most people who could convince them that they would work hard and behave as long as they met the minimum grades. But the sixth form does seem fairly relaxed compared to some grammar school sixth forms and the main school, like we have an office dress code instead of wearing suits and proper formal clothes.
    Your grammar school seems lovely!
    At my one you cannot do a subject for A-level without an A/A* at GCSE. Consequently I'm terrified about my GCSE results....

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.