Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Grammar schools used to all be state school in the 60s etc, but some are now public schools and charge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben77mc)
    No, it isn't.
    Yes it is. Comprehensives and grammars are both state funded. The only difference is that grammars select on academic grounds. Only private/public schools are not state schools.

ReputationRep:
    No, it isn't.
    Yes it is.

Funded by the state = state school

Grammar schools = funded by the state

therefore grammar schools = state schools, they are just selective

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olivia_Lightbulb)
    Yes it is. Comprehensives and grammars are both state funded. The only difference is that grammars select on academic grounds. Only private/public schools are not state schools.
    My school is a Grammar, and is independent.
    Your argument is flawed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d123)
    Yes it is.

Independent grammar schools are not funded by the state...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinkerbelle ♥)
    This.

It varies but I know my grammar school wanted incoming people to have 6 B's at least.
    6 B's? That's not too bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twig)
    (So, my location does not matter?)^^^Beaten to it
    I live just over an hour away (by bus) from my Grammar school :o:

Seriously, it shouldn't be a problem. They look at your grades and what kind of things you do outside of school. My school gives interviews to those trying to apply for 6th form, but I don't know about others =\ The grade requirements are As in the subjects you want to take for A-level and 5Cs in everything else, I think. But they'll like you more if you have better grades ie. 5As rather than 3A 2B 1C.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d123)
    Yes it is.

Bzzzzzz wrong.

There are numerous independent fee-charging Grammar schools all over the place.

ReputationRep:
    Independent grammar schools are not funded by the state...
    But proper grammar schools are.

Some schools call themselves grammar, e.g. Manchester Grammar, but I would consider these to just be independent schools. Many grammar schools e.g. the Camp Hill schools in Birmingham are state funded

ReputationRep:
    o may days u guys had some easy entry requirements at ur school sixth forms. altho it was easy to get into mine if u were their frm earlier jus 3 As or above and the at least 8 passes altogether. students that are now in my year frm outside all got at least 4 A*S.

ReputationRep:
    My school is a Grammar, and is independent.
    Your argument is flawed.
    that because your school is not a proper grammar schools. If you pay fees then your school is just an independant one. Maybe your school used to be a grammar school and then just kept on the name after it went independant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tha_Black_Shinobi)
    that because your school is not a proper grammar schools. If you pay fees then your school is just an independant one. Maybe your school used to be a grammar school and then just kept on the name after it went independant
    You are 100% right here :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MalcomNewMoney84)
    You are 100% right here :yes:
    Yeah, I just read up on it, and you guys are right.
    I never knew.
    Thankyou ;]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jasper.Paterson)
    6 B's? That's not too bad.
    :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QED)
    No, he didn't. I'm certain I'd know if he did.
    Do you know what mate, I couldn't really care less. However I know for a fact that Wikipedia stated that he used to go Watford G like only a month ago. After just checking, yeah it's now changed and there is no mention of him. But numerous other sources on the internet seem to think he did go there at some point, and I'm sure he must have gone to Parmiters also. Fortunately I haven't got an erection over it. Here is my evidence just to assure you that I am not chatting ****... (5th para)

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...n-1102402.html

ReputationRep:
    The one I'm going to wants at least 7 B's - or so they say. In reality, each subject generally requires A's, though they'll 'allow' B's (with an interview, sometimes).
    I don't think mine looked at location..

I've also just finished GCSE's at a comp., so as long as you get the grades, you should get in (though if there's a lot of competition, maybe not? But there would have to be a lot!).

I can't wait to actually go to a good school once again

ReputationRep:
    At the moment I am doing quite well in my state school (well at least I would perfer to think so). So, provding if do get high grades at college, would coming from normal/grammar school, change my chances?

Also, with regard to the entrance procedure, am I to give my predicted GCSE grades to the grammar school?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twig)
    Well, I am have just finished Year 10 now. Hence, I am thnking of applying to a few schools over the sumer for college/sixth form. I have a few questions about grammer school.
    Firstly, can you apply disregarding the location of your home? Or are you at more/less advantages druing the application process based upon your home address? Also, do you have to sit entrance exams? What level of difficulity would these be?

Also, if assuming I acheive the same grades at a grammer school as I would do at a public school, would it make it any differences to my uni application?

Also, are extra topics taught at grammer schools, or do they all follow the same curriculum?

Cheers
    Learn to spell

I think its generally based on getting GCSEs. The entry requirement is pretty low (I think it was min. 4 Bs and 3Cs at mine).

Universities discriminate very little on grounds of how good your school with - certainly at a level less than proportional to the amount a better school will add to your application in terms of better teaching + environment = better results.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twig)
    At the moment I am doing quite well in my state school (well at least I would perfer to think so). So, provding if do get high grades at college, would coming from normal/grammar school, change my chances?

Also, with regard to the entrance procedure, am I to give my predicted GCSE grades to the grammar school?
    Officially, coming from a state school is not meant to make a difference. However, I have an instinct that seeing you came from a Grammar school will make uni's sit up a bit more when they see your application.
    Only give your predicted grades if they ask for it in the application form. My local Girls' Grammar asked for them, whereas the Boys' Grammar didn't (although the Boys' Grammar has better results).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twig)
    Firstly, can you apply disregarding the location of your home? Or are you at more/less advantages druing the application process based upon your home address?
    Nope, at age 16 it more or less doesn't matter where you live, as long as you're academically up to scratch. I live 2 hours away from my grammar school.
    Also, do you have to sit entrance exams? What level of difficulity would these be?
    Not to enter the sixth form, no. There may be a small written test, but that's more like "what can you offer the school?", and the like.
    Also, if assuming I acheive the same grades at a grammer school as I would do at a public school, would it make it any differences to my uni application?
    No.
    Also, are extra topics taught at grammer schools, or do they all follow the same curriculum?
    Grammar schools are more likely to add subjects like Latin and more languages to their curriculum, that's the only difference.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.