Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've been changing my mind alot, and I am wondering how I would be able to fund a masters.
    I am currently doing Sociology at Leicester, in my final year and I am on a safe 2.1.
    I was thinking about staying on at leicester, since I already rent a house there, which I would need to renew, and have a good reputation amongst staff.
    I was just wondering how I could fund both the tuition fees, and living expenses?
    Is it through the student loan company, or external?
    If external, who could I aks to do it.
    I do not have any money, and I'm in a fair amount of debt, neither do my parents, or family.

ReputationRep:
    No student loans available at all.

You can get funding via research councils. I think (only think mind) Sociology would come under ESRC - www.esrc.ac.uk but it's done by quotas so your preferred department may not have the money to fund students. Ask Ilex - she'll know and I'll quote her
    (Original post by IlexAquifolium)
    ohhh ilex darling
    Funding would cover tuition fees and then living expenses (including accommodation). It's highly competitive though.

You could also get a bank loan - the CDL to be precise which some banks offer. Only catch is that you have to start paying back as soon as your course has finished, so effectively you'd need to go straight into a job.

Bar that, unfortunately it's down to your own savings, parents etc.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Hmm. I'm not so sure the ESRC is your best bet for a number of reasons:

1. Leicester doesn't have any quota places, so if you're set on staying there you'll have to fight it out in the open competition, which can be tough.
    2. The ESRC works on a '1+3' system - they will *only* fund recognised (research) masters for people committing to a PhD afterwards. The research masters are no barrel of laughs, although if you are thinking about it, you should speak to LLBKevin who's doing one at Leicester and would therefore have experience of the generic modules. Basically, if you just fancy doing a sociology masters for general interest, the ESRC is not a go-er.
    3. They're really competitive, and a 2.1 might not be enough.
    4. The deadlines are, well, now, and you need a fully thought-out research proposal to apply.

I think a far better idea would be to see if your department offers any internal fees bursaries, which presumably (since you say you have good standing) you'd be a good candidate for. That would be one weight off your mind. Then you could get a CDL for £4k (they only give you £8k if £4k is for fees IIRC) and a part-time job.

ReputationRep:
    Although I was completely wrong - I knew Ilex would know the answer.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by apotoftea)
    Although I was completely wrong - I knew Ilex would know the answer.
    Ha - don't worry! You never know, the OP might want to do a PhD afterall

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tw!stEd)
    I've been changing my mind alot, and I am wondering how I would be able to fund a masters.
    I am currently doing Sociology at Leicester, in my final year and I am on a safe 2.1.
    I was thinking about staying on at leicester, since I already rent a house there, which I would need to renew, and have a good reputation amongst staff.
    I was just wondering how I could fund both the tuition fees, and living expenses?
    Is it through the student loan company, or external?
    If external, who could I aks to do it.
    I do not have any money, and I'm in a fair amount of debt, neither do my parents, or family.
    Apply to be a Sub-Warden in Halls? Unless you're tied to the house.

ReputationRep:
    Ha - don't worry! You never know, the OP might want to do a PhD afterall
    Yeah, If I did a masters, I'd want to do a phd too

Apply to be a Sub-Warden in Halls? Unless you're tied to the house.
    Basicly, I'm not tied to the house, but like I live with fantastic people, which is one of the reasons I want to stay in Leicester.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tw!stEd)
    Basicly, I'm not tied to the house, but like I live with fantastic people, which is one of the reasons I want to stay in Leicester.
    That's cool, it's worth considering though, the only real way that I can afford my Masters is the free rent I get with Sub-Wardening. If you want to know anything about it give us a PM

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody know if there is any postgrad funding for finance degrees?

ReputationRep:
    There are a variety of routes, but the research council that would cover finance.economics would by the Economic and Social Research Council - (ESRC) http://www.esrc.ac.uk/. I believe though that this council is difficult to obtain funding from, there are other means though, - charity, sponsorship from a company, the university's own pot of money, etc. Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    Might have to beg the uni to get access to the access to learning fund.

ReputationRep:
    Just curious to know how everyone is funding their post grad studies? Is it through private savings or a career development loan? Or are you sponsored on a graduate programme etc?

Looking at the post grad courses most of them are around £5000-6000 per year for fees alone and double that for international students.

ReputationRep:
    My parents. Thank God.

ReputationRep:
    there is a very similar thread on here with your exact same question. Not been rude Sorry!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I've had a part-time job since I was 16, so it's coming out of my savings You could always get a carrer development loan to fund it or looking for grants (although you may be too late now).

ReputationRep:
    I managed to save my entire student loan over the 3 years I was an undergraduate, but had to work the whole way through and apply for a lot of private funding to get me through it, I was pretty skint. But now I have more than enough to pay for my masters, after all to me it is only a few hundred more than a year of undergraduate study, except this way I'm learning for an entire year, not just 9 months I have another friend who's doing the exact same thing as me...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.