Turn on thread page Beta

Anybody NOT interested in working in London? watch

ReputationRep:
    From browsing these forums, it seems like almost everybody on here is aiming to work in the big London firms. Personally, this isn't what I want to do, and I'll be applying to some of the large-ish regional firms. I was just wondering if anybody else on here feels the same way. Or maybe some of you already have TCs at the regional firms, and would like to share your experiences of applying?

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting my TC at a mediumish/largeish regional firm in ... ooh ... about 6 weeks! Scary stuff.

I did my degree in London, but although I had a fantastic time and went along to lots of City firm events, I didn't fall in love with the place like lots of people do. Had a great time as a student, but knew I didn't want to stay there for life and didn't want the (lack of) work/life balance that goes hand in hand with most London firms.

So I applied to medium and large firms in and around my home town (Reading) which luckily has a fair few national and decent sized firms. I made all my applications at the end of my second year (did LLB) and secured a TC that season, though my plan had been to perhaps reconsider London if I didn't secure one first time round. Moved back here after uni and lived at home while commuting to Oxford for the LPC, and now I'm moving out with my boyfriend over the next couple of months (we're buying, so I'll be at home with my parents for the first couple of months of my TC at least while we get everything sorted).

My firm has around 100 staff overall, about 20 partners, and appealed to me because it's so broad - it does pretty much everything apart from crime.

Happy to answer any questions you might have about regional firms, as far as I can - obviously it can vary quite a lot from region to region.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmings)
    I'm starting my TC at a mediumish/largeish regional firm in ... ooh ... about 6 weeks! Scary stuff.

I did my degree in London, but although I had a fantastic time and went along to lots of City firm events, I didn't fall in love with the place like lots of people do. Had a great time as a student, but knew I didn't want to stay there for life and didn't want the (lack of) work/life balance that goes hand in hand with most London firms.

So I applied to medium and large firms in and around my home town (Reading) which luckily has a fair few national and decent sized firms. I made all my applications at the end of my second year (did LLB) and secured a TC that season, though my plan had been to perhaps reconsider London if I didn't secure one first time round. Moved back here after uni and lived at home while commuting to Oxford for the LPC, and now I'm moving out with my boyfriend over the next couple of months (we're buying, so I'll be at home with my parents for the first couple of months of my TC at least while we get everything sorted).

My firm has around 100 staff overall, about 20 partners, and appealed to me because it's so broad - it does pretty much everything apart from crime.

Happy to answer any questions you might have about regional firms, as far as I can - obviously it can vary quite a lot from region to region.
    Not Clarks by any chance is it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chalks)
    Not Clarks by any chance is it?
    It's not, though they're just around the corner!

ReputationRep:
    I purposefully chose to stay away from London, doing mini-pupillages and work experience in my home county. I managed to get a great job just before I was called to the Bar and am now working happily 20 minutes from my home. I have a great quality of life, live by my family and friends, and have far more free-time than if I was to commute or work in the City. And I get paid lots! Hehe

What I'm saying is, London is hardly the only choice, and if you actively seek to establish yourself in your local area, there are opportunities to do so.

ReputationRep:
    I think it also depends upon your aspirations. If you're looking to really get into some of the biggest cases, particularly international cases, London is your best bet. If that's not a top priority, and you're not aiming for the top band of earnings, there's no real reason why you would limit yourself to London, I don't think.

ReputationRep:
    I have recently completed a VS with a City firm and with a big regional player, and enjoyed both. The experience of working in London for 2 weeks has led me to decide it's not for me. I believe I can get just as much career satisfaction and big profile work from the regions, without the hassle of the City.

I also feel that the financial difference isn't a big as most people would have you believe. Either way, I'd be happy earning anything over £20k so wages don't play a big part in my decision.

I've applied to regional firms for TC's, have 2 interviews so far, will let you know how it goes
    xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blinkbelle)
    I also feel that the financial difference isn't a big as most people would have you believe. Either way, I'd be happy earning anything over £20k so wages don't play a big part in my decision.
    Agreed; even where I am in the Thames Valley, which is still a pretty expensive area, the cost of living as compared with London is so much cheaper. Up north the difference is even more marked. Salaries are lower, yes, but the standard of living you can enjoy on that salary is pretty much equivalent to that you'd have in London on a much higher salary.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.