Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do too many civil liberties tear societies apart? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Socmyoligy)
    It sounds like a rather marxist interpretation of the country, but I do see where you are coming from. However, in regards to your comment that "politics is a power struggle", it is, but not between the state and the populace.
    I never said it was solely that. There are a multitude of power struggles going on at any one time, and any power struggle is political. But that's not to say that there is no antagonism between the state and its subjects (although one may not necessarily identify "the populace" as a whole as antagonistic to the state, particularly if it does not behave as such. However if the general perception exists that the state is antagonistic to the people one may say that that power struggle is overt, otherwise I would still argue it exists covertly - in that the state's interests are necessarily antagonistic to that of individuals.)

Apologies for the verbosity and repetitiveness. I irritate myself sometimes tbh.

(Original post by Andy the Anarchist)
    Yep, you have the duty to respect my rights :top:
    :grin:

ReputationRep:
    Probably, but so what?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amandacalifornia)
    I think a society which does not respect individualism and civil liberties is inherently unstable and malignant. Inconveniencing the police every once and a while is a small price.

very nice. well put.

Reminds me a bit of a quote by John Oliver of Daily Show fame. In one of his stand-up pieces, he said (paraphrasing) "You see, if we are to listen to the far right, the terrorists hate us for our freedom. It's really the only the only thing that gets them out of bed in the morning. Luckily, our government has been bravely removing these freedoms, there-by giving the terrorists less to hate."

ReputationRep:
    No, we don't have too many civil liberties. We don't respect the police? No, because they make themselves disrespectable. Because they shoot dead people on trains, beat up innocent bystanders and tazer frail old men. They use bullying tactics to prevent perfectly legal, peaceful, political demonstrations. You cannot enforce respect, it must be earnt, and the fact so many people (including myself) despise the police is not due to some criminal tendency or anarchistic streak, but purely down to the vile actions that these people, supposedly our protectors, commit against us. You cannot enforce the law by breaking it, which is what our government for many years has been trying to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amandacalifornia)
    I think a society which does not respect individualism and civil liberties is inherently unstable and malignant. Inconveniencing the police every once and a while is a small price.
    I do agree with this statement. Yet i think, hypothetically, that the society Mr OP is writing about includes certain civil liberties. The query is: is individualism at such a large level inevitably going to affect society?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scanningforlifeforms)
    No, we don't have too many civil liberties. We don't respect the police? No, because they make themselves disrespectable. Because they shoot dead people on trains, beat up innocent bystanders and tazer frail old men. They use bullying tactics to prevent perfectly legal, peaceful, political demonstrations. You cannot enforce respect, it must be earnt, and the fact so many people (including myself) despise the police is not due to some criminal tendency or anarchistic streak, but purely down to the vile actions that these people, supposedly our protectors, commit against us. You cannot enforce the law by breaking it, which is what our government for many years has been trying to do.
    I am greatly against this crude and neglected argument. Many of the police are hard-working decent citzens who do aim to protect the public. If you are going to blame a certain sector, then place it on the laws created which have to be followed.

ReputationRep:
    so society has changed, big deal.

In more conservative times, wasn't a woman's place in the home? didn't people use words like ****** and paki openly? hmmm...i guess society is better off being conservative, eh?

ReputationRep:
    many of the police no doubt are. Unfortunately it only takes one or two nutters, or a few good people to get 'caught up in the moment' for thins do go wrong. FFS we had 954 deaths in custody last year, none of which have been publicly investigated, and for which nobody has been brought to book. That, I'm afraid, is simply unacceptable.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.