Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex D)
    Thanks When I had a flick through it seemed pretty good for brushing up on stuff, think I might order it and have a flick through :p: Is cheese and onion, the OH of clinical medicine?
    Yup!

ReputationRep:
    OP is a noob.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spencer Wells)
    I'm going to give you our full preclinical reading list, just so you can go away. It's for the first 2 years of UCL (note there is no reading list for the clinical part of the course)
    Oh dear lord :teeth:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by digitalis)
    OP is a noob.

just because u dont know the reasons behind my requests does not mean you can make derogatory remarks....fool.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by koolkuzz)
    just because u dont know the reasons behind my requests does not mean you can make derogatory remarks....fool.
    Perhaps if you explained your reasons you would get more respect.

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone provide me a full reading list for undergraduate medicine, listing all modules/strands etc along with the recommended books for each strand for each year? The university itself is irrelevant.
    Hi! There's tonnes of books out there as you can probably imagine. A few of us at St. George's have tried to make life a bit easier by reviewing book we've bought and used during pre-clinical and clinical years. Click on my signature! We're always updating and adding new books!

Generally speaking, its a good idea to have an anatomy refernece book and a clinical text book (Kumar and Clark is gold standard of course!)

ReputationRep:
    I don't know what kind of shadowy reasons you have that require such secrecy, as has been said it does seem a little odd and we can't help you properly without knowing that.

Like I say, textbooks are a tool that you use for a job, to answer a particular question. Thinking you can take a reading list and learn medicine is like gathering together hammers, drills and bricks and expecting them to build a house, without a plan and underlying structure they're just formless facts.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone replying to this thread is bigger and cleverer than you, you're just a tool, bore on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jessaay!)
    You don't actually have to read all of those. Seriously. There may be some people who will try, but generally these lists are more "These are books you may find useful to help with your work," not "We expect you to know all these books inside-out."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    You don't actually have to read all of those. Seriously. There may be some people who will try, but generally these lists are more "These are books you may find useful to help with your work," not "We expect you to know all these books inside-out."
    Oh no I know, but still, it seems an intimidatingly large amount of information anyway :p:

ReputationRep:
    Aren't you a sneaky lil chappie "kuzz"!

ReputationRep:
    Oh no I know, but still, it seems an intimidatingly large amount of information anyway :p:
    I wouldn't worry. To be honest I have only read (and I use that term loosely as much of the books remain un-read) 3: Pocock & Richards, Dean & Peg Vol 2 and Benders Nutrition & Metabolism. Perhaps the only other one you would need is Scamblers sociology but I have a 40 page word document that summarises it which circulates about the student grapevine.

ReputationRep:
    I have had my own Kumar and Clarke for five years, I have read maybe sixty of it's 600-odd pages and remember maybe a handful of things I learnt from it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr.Funk)
    I wouldn't worry. To be honest I have only read (and I use that term loosely as much of the books remain un-read) 3: Pocock & Richards, Dean & Peg Vol 2 and Benders Nutrition & Metabolism. Perhaps the only other one you would need is Scamblers sociology but I have a 40 page word document that summarises it which circulates about the student grapevine.
    Yeah that's all you need. The ones you'll add in second year are the other two D&Ps, Rang Dale Ritter & Moore, Essential endocrinology, and Crossman & Neary's Neuroanatomy.

ReputationRep:
    K&C=big waste of money. I cba reading through 30 pages on hypertension, give me a noddy version anyday.

ReputationRep:
    I think that no matter how many good answers the OP gets as to why this is futile, he's still just going to sit there and demand reading lists from everyone.

There was a similar person at one of my Oxford interviews - having heard the names of the people on the interview panel, they rushed off to the library to find one of their essays/books, so that at the end when asked "any questions?", they could ask the interviewer something about it.

I could not imagine a single outcome that would have been good from doing that.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    It condenses down to :

*Dean MC & Pegington J. Core Anatomy for students Vol 1 The limbs & vertebral column; Vol 2 The thorax, abdomen, pelvis & perineum; Vol 3 Head and Neck; WB Saunders, 1996

*Bender DA. Introduction to Nutrition and Metabolism, 3rd edition, Taylor & Francis, 2002

*Brook C & Marshall NJ. Essential Endocrinology 4th edition, Blackwell Science, 2001

Lydyard P, Whelan A & Fanger MF. Instant Notes in Immunology, 2nd edition, Bios Scientific Publisher, 2003

Neal MJ. Medical Pharmacology at a glance, 4th Edition, Blackwell Science, 2002 [5th edition due 2005]

as the essentials to read over the 2 years in depth - course notes etc... and refrences to some of the others are good to get a pass in.

Also "PROTIP" to OP : Insulting med students and doctors is no way to getting what you want...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chimpyang)
    It condenses down to :

*Dean MC & Pegington J. Core Anatomy for students Vol 1 The limbs & vertebral column; Vol 2 The thorax, abdomen, pelvis & perineum; Vol 3 Head and Neck; WB Saunders, 1996

*Bender DA. Introduction to Nutrition and Metabolism, 3rd edition, Taylor & Francis, 2002

*Brook C & Marshall NJ. Essential Endocrinology 4th edition, Blackwell Science, 2001

Lydyard P, Whelan A & Fanger MF. Instant Notes in Immunology, 2nd edition, Bios Scientific Publisher, 2003

Neal MJ. Medical Pharmacology at a glance, 4th Edition, Blackwell Science, 2002 [5th edition due 2005]

as the essentials to read over the 2 years in depth - course notes etc... and refrences to some of the others are good to get a pass in.

Also "PROTIP" to OP : Insulting med students and doctors is no way to getting what you want...

Ahh thanks. That seems a lot less now, but a lot compared to the few books i read for A-level...

Oh well, I am set for the challenge. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    I am set for the challenge. :yes:
    That is yet to be proven.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonnyofengland)
    I think that no matter how many good answers the OP gets as to why this is futile, he's still just going to sit there and demand reading lists from everyone.

There was a similar person at one of my Oxford interviews - having heard the names of the people on the interview panel, they rushed off to the library to find one of their essays/books, so that at the end when asked "any questions?", they could ask the interviewer something about it.

I could not imagine a single outcome that would have been good from doing that.
    Which college was this? Do you know if they got in?
    (I'll cry if they end up being my child!:woo: )

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 13, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.