Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/tol_...b=42&x=28&y=12

Yet another piece of crap they call a league table. It gets it right in the first three places but then goes crazy(well, if you switch Cambridge and Oxford around). I'm pretty sure Keele isn't fourth best for Maths.

Things they got particular wrong was 14th for Bristol, 7th for Imperial college and 41th for Manchester.

What do they mean by graduate prospects?

P.S. They really should ban league tables.

ReputationRep:
    keele isn't 4th. Besides, they are ranked differently for pure stats and applied and again, keele isn't 4th in any

ReputationRep:
    lol i remember the Guardian had Greenwich as 4th for maths!

ReputationRep:
    Don't you mean 41st?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, it would make more sense to have it based on entry standards. As the top students will obviously aim for the top unis so that would make more sense.

I meant 6th not fourth. It seems that I'm making a ton of mistakes today.

ReputationRep:
    wtf it seems wrong to me- although i am not doing maths and have never really researched it that much but i always took the top 4 to be:

1. Cambridge
    2. Imperial
    3. Warwick
    4. Oxford

and i would have put unis like bath, bristol higher - and i talking rubbish or have times yet again ranked unis on the number of toilets they have per square meter etc as a means of ranking unis?

ReputationRep:
    Even if there are incorrect weightings, I still fail to see how Keele has better graduate prospects than Cambridge

ReputationRep:
    I always thought imperial maths department was one of the best. I think their entry requirements are an A in every single pure maths module including further maths!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imperial91)
    I always thought imperial maths department was one of the best. I think their entry requirements are an A in every single pure maths module including further maths!
    It is, at least for this year. I don't know whether they're planning to give out any A*AA offers starting from next year though.

mind you, strict entry requirements doesn't necessarily translate into it being the better uni for maths.

ReputationRep:
    "For entry in 2010 a grade A in all mathematics modules taken will be required. Resits will not be accepted."

ReputationRep:
    It's not as bad as the Guardian rankings, which, at one point, had Loughborough above Cambridge

ReputationRep:
    apparantly durham's 18th for physics and keele isnt even on there for physics and greenwich is 4th for maths, ahead of st. andrews, i never knew the recession would affect league tables.

ReputationRep:
    if you look at the figures for pure applied and stats bristol should be much higher

ReputationRep:
    You're all losers for caring.

ReputationRep:
    Greenwich seems to always be high up on some league table. Gawd knows why, I could get in there tomorrow I'm sure -_-
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Newspaper league tables are just rubbish. Simple as.

ReputationRep:
    I think grad prospects is the percentage in further education or a graduate job after 6 months or something similar.

Well the statistics are obviously correct, it's just the weightings are a bit odd. I just think it's ridiculous for somebody, who hasn't even started uni yet, to criticise the tables as they don't even have the knowledge of one university.

And to shamrock92, that's because Loughborough is the new Cambridge .

ReputationRep:
    Lol @ Leicester bring 5th and Keele being better than Imperial and Durham :p:

You're right - these league tables are seriously not worth the paper they are written on , I'd really like to see some proper peer-review system implemented like in the top Ivy League unis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by conroe-killed-the-k8-star)
    You're right - these league tables are seriously not worth the paper they are written on , I'd really like to see some proper peer-review system implemented like in the top Ivy League unis.
    as in, 'you scratch my back and i'll scratch yours?'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by around)
    as in, 'you scratch my back and i'll scratch yours?'
    But who scratches first

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.