Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Using a rail card.... help watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi Just a quick question... if i booked a train ticket online with using my sisters rail card to get a discount, would i get away with using the ticket myself or do the attendants ask for rail card i.d aboard the trains?

Cheers

You always have to show the railcard when they check the tickets on the train - you might get lucky and be on a train without a conductor... but you might not.

ReputationRep:
    Chances are you'll have to show the railcard. If you don't (or can't, in this case, as its fraudulent using your sister's) then you'll have to pay full fare on the train (which is even dearer than buying from the station).

ReputationRep:
    Yes they ask for the railcard as well.

ReputationRep:
    Ok nice one guys cheers

ReputationRep:
    I've never been asked for my railcard ever, the only indication to check for a railcard is "Y-P" printed on your ticket, easily missed. You could end up paying full price if you're caught out, and it's illegal.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Yeah, don't do it, it's totally not worth what costs you may have to pay if you get caught. Ive always been asked for a railcard for proof etc,

ReputationRep:
    Yep I wouldn't bother. 9 times out of 10 I get asked.

ReputationRep:
    You are normally asked for the railcard onboard.

ReputationRep:
    Yep you will be asked for it... best of buying a rail card

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.