Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So after learning some basics, i have a question on reading sheet music, as I read a sheet score, I play a bar and then memorise how it goes, practise it and read the next bar practise it etc and play the whole piece in the end from memory ... is this how its meant to be though? because I find it difficult to read the score as I play along and keep in rhythm..

thanks

ReputationRep:
    try a metronome? That may help... although I have to say I've never got on with sheet music. I can read the basics (and play a grade 5 piece from sheet music).. however I've never been able to get it as well as playing by ear.

ReputationRep:
    lol I've never read sheet music. I just work everything out by ear.

Most professional musicians can do what you described i.e. just start playing as they read.

You may get the hang of if. It takes time to become a musician bizarrely enough. I doubt many beginners can just read off that staves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sver)
    So after learning some basics, i have a question on reading sheet music, as I read a sheet score, I play a bar and then memorise how it goes, practise it and read the next bar practise it etc and play the whole piece in the end from memory ... is this how its meant to be though? because I find it difficult to read the score as I play along and keep in rhythm..

thanks
    Yeah, I had 10 years of piano lessons and this is pretty much how you're meant to do it :P Bored me to death, but you get there eventually... remember its not just about the notes though, if there's any dynamics or other instruction written in try to express that too.
    Hope it goes well

ReputationRep:
    Great! thanks people, helped alot

ReputationRep:
    everybody learns in different ways and if this is the way for you then it shouldn't be a problem- there's no "meant to be". it is certainly very thorough when it comes to learning the piece

however, if you were ever in a situation where you were required to read sheet music quickly or sight read then you're putting yourself quite out of practice. this would only probably arise mainly if you were to take a music exam, but sight reading is a handy skill to have in case of emergencies (not that i can think of a possible example right now)

ReputationRep:
    No, that is definitely not the way to do it.

You should break the music down into sections and work hands seperately, very slowly. You must make sure that you know, in your mind, what is going on, and not simply commit everything to muscle memory (so break it down into "small" sections!). Once you've done this you'll be surprised at how quickly you'll be able to play the section hands together.

The way you're doing at the moment is not only inefficent, but won't work at all as the pieces you study become more advanced.

But don't worry, it's what everyone does initially .

ReputationRep:
    the method you describe OP is playing from memory...so it's not like you're instantly sightreading but its still a valid way to learn

in some ways it can be a better method regarding being confidantly familiar with a piece

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MiriamJ)
    Yeah, I had 10 years of piano lessons and this is pretty much how you're meant to do it :P Bored me to death, but you get there eventually... remember its not just about the notes though, if there's any dynamics or other instruction written in try to express that too.
    Hope it goes well
    No that's not the way you're meant to do it, indeed, "bored to death" indicates that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hopinmad)
    No that's not the way you're meant to do it, indeed, "bored to death" indicates that!
    Ah, but you see, practice is dull and repetitive. However, it is not a thankless task; the knowledge that the end result will be the ability to play so much great music is what motivates us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haeron)
    Ah, but you see, practice is dull and repetitive. However, it is not a thankless task; the knowledge that the end result will be the ability to play so much great music is what motivates us.
    Quite obviously, opinions will vary on how dull it really is, but certainly there is repetition. However, I don't think it should be quite as repetitive and dull as some people make it out to be, unless they're practising inefficently.

ReputationRep:
    i can honestly say that practice has never really bored me...it has stressed me, particularly when my teacher was being strict about certain things but it never really bored me as far as i can remember

ooh it also frustrated me but yeah, the end result is rewarding so it doesn't bore me as its a process (like i cant find a borin part in baking a cake as its all important stuff )

i dont think theres a wrong way to practice as different people engage with music in different ways (sight memory ear etc) so i think its a shame that sight is often placed as being more valueable...its great but the hardest method isn't always necessarily the most valid (as a jazz musician i often prefer ear/memory over sight methods)

ReputationRep:
    I have to justify my statement now :P
    I was practicing the Ravel piano concerto, the bit after the tunes, where the piano is basically just playing rhythmically, straight quavers. I'm not down with it yet, but it's not melodically pleasing, the rhythm's repetitive and it's really boring to practice it slowly over and over again, even for me :P Thus I was feeling a little jaded at the time! Practice is fun sometimes, but there are some things which are really just finger-grinding.

ReputationRep:
    Well yes I suppose, slow practise of the same notes can get *very* boring. But it's more than made up for .

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.