Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I might take the BMAT. The bad thing is that there is some Physics on it that I've never seen before. Could someone show me the way to some notes on:

Stuff about buoyancy. I saw a question about something floating which I
    understood slightly. I understand that Weight = Upthrust but not much else.

There was a question with a rod that had weights on both ends and it was at equilibrium. What's all that about?

Thank you in advance.

ReputationRep:
    In bouyancy an object will remain stationary or at a constant speed if the forces acting on it are balanced. If they are unbalanced it will accelerate in the direction of the resultant force, according to Newton's 2nd Law Of motion, and the force will be proportional to the acceleration.

With the rod, this is about moments. Moments are turning forces, measured in Nm, and are equal to the force x distance from the pivot. If the moments are equal the rod stays in equilibrium, if they are unequal, the rod will rotate.

Check out www.s-cool.co.uk it has a pretty decent Physics section

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.