Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

First year module marks on CV? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    you think this is alright for summer apps? Its just that Im applying for trading roles and my overall was 84, yet all my quantitative subjects were 87-97 but I had one qualitative one that was 70 cuz it was philosophy oriented and a BS module that sucked, so I was thinking of putting the individuals on the CV in order to show that the one qualitative subject dragged my mark down.

The reason im asking is that I am at a top ten but def non target so Im trying to scrape for any advantage I can

ReputationRep:
    Too late for this summer, and wont you have some year 2 results by next year?

Anyway, a lot of forms ask for your results, I wouldnt put them on a CV though.

ReputationRep:
    Im going to be applying this September, I just finished my first year but yea if they do ask then I guess no point of putting it on the CV

ReputationRep:
    Put them on - they're good marks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prince of Zamunda)
    Put the quant ones as a bullet point under education, e.g.

Bsc XX at YY university
    • 84% year one average including 97% in CC, and 95% in TT

etc

but be wary of the consequences. I know if I put my quant module results in, some asswipe trader will start asking me complex probability questions in an interview.

Impressive result. Can understand your interest in Wilmott's book now
    Thts exactly what I am worried about :o:, it coming back to bite me in the ass, i guess I want to walk the fine line of getting the interview but not putting info that is just suicide.

Actually luckily I got the Wilmott Introduces QF not PWOQF so its not the hardcore version so I did actually get through most of the math in it. I checked out Hull and it seems they are pretty similar, Hull might even be a bit more advanced judging by the TOC.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by texex)
    you think this is alright for summer apps? Its just that Im applying for trading roles and my overall was 84, yet all my quantitative subjects were 87-97 but I had one qualitative one that was 70 cuz it was philosophy oriented and a BS module that sucked, so I was thinking of putting the individuals on the CV in order to show that the one qualitative subject dragged my mark down.

The reason im asking is that I am at a top ten but def non target so Im trying to scrape for any advantage I can
    If you've got the space on your CV put the marks down - but I think the average would suffice. Great set of results though, if I'd had a set of grades like that I'd have rocked up to the interview with them inked on my forehead!

ReputationRep:
    If you got a first in your first year from a top 10 uni, then (assuming the rest of your cv is up to scratch) you should get interviews anyway so I think you would be better off using the space on your cv on something else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wstroud)
    If you got a first in your first year from a top 10 uni, then (assuming the rest of your cv is up to scratch) you should get interviews anyway so I think you would be better off using the space on your cv on something else.
    Yea but I think it got into the T10 based on the student satisfaction aspect in the criteria (which personally I do not think should be used to generate the rankings) and there is pretty much zilch presence of firms outside of big 4.

Another thing, Im doing the IBM University Business Challenge thing and my role in the team is prob going to be hedging currency and IR risk and overall focus on the financial side of stuff but it doesnt start until October, so is it worht it to put on the resume provided that by the time of the interview it will actually be happening? (I would feel fairly comfortable talking about these aspects in an interview provided tht the interviewer sees it and starts asking q's)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alphagamma)
    Either the IBM UBC has become a lot more complex since I did it, or you have absolutely no idea what you're getting into...
    Honestly, all I know about it is that u run some sort of imaginary business , and the above is just an idea of something that would interest me to do as part of it.

Actually since you did it, could you shed some light on what you actually do, it would be much appreciated.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.