Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hey guys and girls.

I'm a 25 year old male. Since I was 17 I've been drinking. Since about 19 I have been drinking at night time, around 4 days a week. Some weeks it's every day, but if I'm short on cash it will be less.

I didn't realize it was a problem until recently. I noticed my money was going very quickly as I was spending £10 a night on Vodka or £5 on cans. I usually sit at the computer working and drinking.

3 weeks ago I quit smoking. I took up a new sport/hobby. I just spent £600 on a street jumper (its a street mountain bike used to do tricks - and my parents bought it me). So at 25, I'm on the streets messing about jumping up walls lol - but I enjoy it. I quit smoking to get healthy so I could focus on my hobby more.

After quitting smoking, a week later I stopped drinking. It's only since then I realize how much of a problem it was.

Since quitting both I have noticed some major health improvements. My skin is better, I now moisturize, but even without that I have no spots, my skin is smooth, and my face is no longer red. As well as this my breathing is better, I can ride for miles, and even when I get out of breath I recover very fast!

The major benefit is my heart rate. I noticed it used to hover between 90 and 110 when I smoked and drank. It now hovers around 60, a healthy 60!

All in all I feel better, but I have developed a new addiction, which slightly worries me. I am addicted to hot chocolate and milk. Instead of drinking at night time, I now how cups of hot chocolate with full fat milk. Sometimes up to 6 cups a night. I do a lot of cycling so I am not sure if it's a problem, but I am a little worried. Any advice on that?

Anyway, I thought it would be good to share some good news that maybe other can benefit from. My new hobby (thank the parents) and my new change in lifestyle has brought out a better me.

(I'm anonymous because I am a little embarrassed about people who know me on here who didn't know my alcohol issue)

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Hey guys and girls.

I'm a 25 year old male. Since I was 17 I've been drinking. Since about 19 I have been drinking at night time, around 4 days a week. Some weeks it's every day, but if I'm short on cash it will be less.

I didn't realize it was a problem until recently. I noticed my money was going very quickly as I was spending £10 a night on Vodka or £5 on cans. I usually sit at the computer working and drinking.

3 weeks ago I quit smoking. I took up a new sport/hobby. I just spent £600 on a street jumper (its a street mountain bike used to do tricks - and my parent bought it me). So at 25, I'm on the streets messing about jumping up walls lol - but I enjoy it. I quit smoking to get healthy so I could focus on my hobby more.

After quitting smoking, a week later I stopped drinking. It's only since then I realize how much of a problem it was.

Since quitting both I have noticed some major health improvements. My skin is better, I now moisturize, but even without that I have no spots, my skin is smooth, and my face is no longer red. As well as this my breathing is better, I can ride for miles, and even when I get out of breath I recover very fast!

The major benefit is my heart rate. I noticed it used to hover between 90 and 110 when I smoked and drank. It now hovers around 60, a healthy 60!

All in all I feel better, but I have developed a new addiction, which slightly worries me. I am addicted to hot chocolate and milk. Instead of drinking at night time, I now how cups of hot chocolate with full fat milk. Sometimes up to 6 cups a night. I do a lot of cycling so I am not sure if it's a problem, but I am a little worried. Any advice on that?

Anyway, I thought it would be good to share some good news that maybe other can benefit from. My new hobby (thank the parents) and my new change in lifestyle has brought out a better me.

(I'm anonymous because I am a little embarrassed about people who know me on here who didn't know my alcohol issue)

Sounds like your addicted to incest mate

Very funny.
    Some people need to grow up.

ReputationRep:
    Well I think well done to you. Obviously cut down on the full fat milk, go for half skimmed or skimmed. Lots of hot chocolate drinks can be mixed with water. If you work out I don't think its a lot to worry about considering drink has more calories i think than milk. Could always drink tea instead or something.

ReputationRep:
    Seems like you have replaced two bad addictions with two good ones. Ok I know that drinking hot chocolate with full fat milk isnt strictly good, but its better than alcohol. Can I advise that you try drinking low fat hot chocolate and replace the full fat milk with skimmed or semi skimmed if you prefer. Low fat hot choc only has 40 calories per cup....its what I drink when I need a chocolate fix.

Well Done and keep up the good work.

Cheers for the positive comments.

I'm going shopping tomorrow so I'll see about buying Options drinks. I know those are tasty and can be mixed with water.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 22, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.