Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

how do you test the parking brake for excessive wear?? watch

ReputationRep:
    Anyone?

ReputationRep:
    Park at the top of a hill, leave your car for a few minutes. If it's crashed into something when you return then it's worn and probably needs replacing.

ReputationRep:
    When you pull it up , make sure it takes about six clicks before it's fully engaged. If it travel to much or to little when using it , then it needs adjusting , I can't remember , but you need to fix it by adjusting the rear drum , or the cog. I can't remember what it's called , JC should know.

ReputationRep:
    Apply footbrake firmly. Demonstrate by applying
    parking brake (handbrake) so that when it is fully
    applied it secures itself, and is not at the end of the
    working travel.

TIP: Mention the tension!! It's not about the number of clicks.. it's about the tension you feel from the brake shoes before you feel the "end stop" of the ratchet.

@ previous posters: She's talking about vehicle safety question number 4 (driving test)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Advisor)
    Apply footbrake firmly. Demonstrate by applying
    parking brake (handbrake) so that when it is fully
    applied it secures itself, and is not at the end of the
    working travel.

TIP: Mention the tension!! It's not about the number of clicks.. it's about the tension you feel from the brake shoes before you feel the "end stop" of the ratchet.

@ previous posters: She's talking about vehicle safety question number 4 (driving test)
    Sorry I'm only fiftneen , still earning the ways :P

ReputationRep:
    http://www.dsa.gov.uk/Form.asp?id=2621

Google is your friend. Most things related to driving tests (including test center routes, pass rates, waiting times, show me tell me and other advise) will be found on the DSA's website.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maximum Velocity)
    When you pull it up , make sure it takes about six clicks before it's fully engaged. If it travel to much or to little when using it , then it needs adjusting , I can't remember , but you need to fix it by adjusting the rear drum , or the cog. I can't remember what it's called , JC should know.

What you getting me involved for? lol!

The term you're looking for is "ratchet mechanism", though.

As previously stated, it should only come up half a douzen clicks and if you put the car into gear and try to move off with the thing still on the car shouldn't move.

If it's coming up too high, get the arse up in the air and with the handbrake off nip up the adjusters until the rear wheel you are working on locks up solid. You then back the adjuster off one or two clicks until the wheel turns freely again.
    Repeat on the other side and the handbrake should be fully on with only 2 or 3 clicks of the ratchet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    What you getting me involved for? lol!

The term you're looking for is "ratchet mechanism", though.

As previously stated, it should only come up half a douzen clicks and if you put the car into gear and try to move off with the thing still on the car shouldn't move.

If it's coming up too high, get the arse up in the air and with the handbrake off nip up the adjusters until the rear wheel you are working on locks up solid. You then back the adjuster off one or two clicks until the wheel turns freely again.
    Repeat on the other side and the handbrake should be fully on with only 2 or 3 clicks of the ratchet.
    Lol when I think of cars and TSR I think of you first. Then Lara C ( Mainly because were always getting into debates about hondas :rolleyes: )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maximum Velocity)
    Then Lara C ( Mainly because were always getting into debates about hondas :rolleyes: )
    Honda must be good, they made this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwRCBHhyrAA

ReputationRep:
    for the sake of the driving test: between 3-6 clicks, and the brake shouldn't be at the end of it's working travel.

ReputationRep:
    This thread actually motivated me re-adjust my handbrake this morning.
    The Lever comes up near verticle at the moment and only just holds.

Could I find my brake adjuster tool this morning? Could I balls.

ReputationRep:
    in my experience when it snaps, you need to replace it =P

ReputationRep:
    Drive in a straight line on a wide road, in one action, pull the wheel to one side and pull the handbrake up. The car's reaction to this will let you know if it is working correctly.

This is how they test it on the MOT.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 24, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.