Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok, my problem is that I don't feel that I really connect well with any of my friends; rather, I feel that I made friends with them because I had to, or I would have had a really bad time at school going around on my own all the time. All my friendships are just surface friendships - like, I wouldn't ask them for any advice on anything and we've never talked about meaningful stuff. The worst part is, we've all got quite a lot in common (we like gaming and sports and stuff), but we never talk with each other about any of it, even though we could have some great conversations (or, you know, engaging ones to say the least). We just talk about what's happening right this second, so for example, the other day, we were playing football, and we'd tease each other 'cos we're so bad , but going out on that day, we didn't talk about much else at all.

Seriously, if I were to never see any of them again, I wouldn't care at all really. I'm pinning all my hopes on next year when I go into sixth form; since it's not a school one, no one'll know each other so I really want to make some proper, true friends.

Sorry for the project, but I was wondering if anyone else has this problem?

ReputationRep:
    your not anon..

ReputationRep:
    Strange - I clicked the box
    Oh well, not too fussed, they wouldn't know my user name

ReputationRep:
    i have a lot of friends like this, not all, but some i just dont seem to ever have good conversations with them. if you wouldn't care if you never saw them again then i dont really see the point in making an effort with them. like you said, next year you'l be meeting so many new people and im sure you'll find new friends who you'll be closer to.

ReputationRep:
    I would not worry...shallow friends are not friends at all. You contact them to see how they are and nothing is done in return. *shakes head*
    Just be yourself in 6th form and you will find friends. DO NOT change for everybody else.

ReputationRep:
    I hope you're right, virtually none of my current ones are coming to the same sixth form as me so I'll drift apart from them anyway if I'm lucky - there, that shows how weak our friendships are

ReputationRep:
    dont get too worked up coz it happens..you want real friends..talk to girls lol.. but erm wot else do u want to talk about.. you are young guys, ur mind should be about whos guna win the prem, maybe who is fit in your year and nothing else lol..no one that age opens up or else u will get bullied that you're gay..its classic secondary school..

ReputationRep:
    I do find in friendships with girls, I can open up a bit more :yep: But still, this shouldn't not be the case with boys...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goldlock)
    Ok, my problem is that I don't feel that I really connect well with any of my friends; rather, I feel that I made friends with them because I had to, or I would have had a really bad time at school going around on my own all the time. All my friendships are just surface friendships - like, I wouldn't ask them for any advice on anything and we've never talked about meaningful stuff. The worst part is, we've all got quite a lot in common (we like gaming and sports and stuff), but we never talk with each other about any of it, even though we could have some great conversations (or, you know, engaging ones to say the least). We just talk about what's happening right this second, so for example, the other day, we were playing football, and we'd tease each other 'cos we're so bad , but going out on that day, we didn't talk about much else at all.

Seriously, if I were to never see any of them again, I wouldn't care at all really. I'm pinning all my hopes on next year when I go into sixth form; since it's not a school one, no one'll know each other so I really want to make some proper, true friends.

Sorry for the project, but I was wondering if anyone else has this problem?
    Sure, I have friends like this. There have been points in my life when all have my friendships haven't been deep. When I left college I couldn't give a **** if I didn't see any of my classmates again. This summer I don't care if I see some of the people I met at uni. But there will come a time when you will develop these deeper friendships, uni perhaps? Deep friendships come with spending time together, making each other priority, being there for the good and bad, getting back as much as you give out, noticing the small things and seeing the positive. But more importantly, I've found from experience that some people I can just 'click' with, conversation comes naturally and I can say wth I like. You'll find people you click with, be chatty and open at college and arrange to meet new friends outside of college. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emanuel_arsenalfc)
    dont get too worked up coz it happens..you want real friends..talk to girls lol.. but erm wot else do u want to talk about.. you are young guys, ur mind should be about whos guna win the prem, maybe who is fit in your year and nothing else lol..no one that age opens up or else u will get bullied that you're gay..its classic secondary school..
    Spot on; we're all fairly articulate people, but we don't really express ourselves that well to each other - kinda sucks, I really want deeper friendships, friends who I can talk with about whatever

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)
    I do find in friendships with girls, I can open up a bit more :yep: But still, this shouldn't not be the case with boys...
    I find the same, though vice versa. I've had much deeper friendships with guys, not sure why... :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goldlock)
    Spot on; we're all fairly articulate people, but we don't really express ourselves that well to each other - kinda sucks, I really want deeper friendships, friends who I can talk with about whatever
    u will get that at sixth form coz ppl are more mature.. also really make friends with some girls..(not the snobby ones but ones who are in the background.. they make the best ones..trust me i know..)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lu-x)
    Deep friendships come with spending time together, making each other priority, being there for the good and bad, getting back as much as you give out, noticing the small things and seeing the positive. But more importantly, I've found from experience that some people I can just 'click' with, conversation comes naturally and I can say wth I like.
    Nailed it, mate; we go as deep as going out fairly often to someone's house, or the cinema, or playing football, but everything else...
    If someone shot my mum, I doubt I'd confide in any of my friends - a bit much but you get the point: I don't feel that they'd be there to support me because we don't have much of a connection. Sadly, they're only one step above an acquaintance I reckon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emanuel_arsenalfc)
    also really make friends with some girls..(not the snobby ones but ones who are in the background.. they make the best ones..trust me i know..)
    I reckon that's good advice (You'll have probably figured out I'm a guy ) - I think girls'd be better to talk to if I had any problems, I've got few girl mates I gotta say, and I don't even know how or why they made friends with me in the first place

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry about it tbh just don't over analyse your friendships - life's too short.
    I've only kept in touch with one person from High school, we've know one another for..wow..10 years now. The rest have all dispersed across the country to university/work and whatnot. I don't feel sad/regret, it's just a part of life. The same thing happens after 6th form and I don't know yet - but I predict the same after uni.

You just stay in touch with who matters I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somethingbeautiful)
    Don't worry about it tbh just don't over analyse your friendships
    Yeah see that's the problem, there's nothing to over - analyse

ReputationRep:
    wait til 6th form.

ReputationRep:
    don't worry about it, you're bound to go through phases in friendships
    as you say, you'll be going to a different college to them so you can start again
    take it as a learning curve and give it time - you'll find someone eventually

I have some of these, but it's wiser to keep them because they're the only ones who invite me to parties

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 22, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.