Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I submitted my application to Student Finance England exactly a week ago now -- I am of course not expecting anything to happen as of yet (even when it was through the LEA the suggested schedule was 3 times this length for processing), however I am wondering how long it is taking with the current SFE situation.

My actual financial evidence was sent off in mid-April and still has not been processed from what I can see on the system; this worries me as if the DSA application were to take a similar amount of time that would put me well into the start of the course before any arrangements are even made for the needs assessment to take place.

I'm curious as to whether anyone with experience with SFE's structure could tell me whether it will take a similar amount of time. I am presuming that logically the form would be scanned in relatively quickly (within a few days) and then would be sent to the appropriate department for processing (and I am also guessing that this department would be less backlogged than the main finance department); or so would seem logical. In which case the timeframe would be just about perfect.

But considering how un-organised SFE seem to be I am not sure whether they will have such a system in place -- their support personnel and the current waiting time do not do much to inspire confidence.

Anyway, this post has grown far longer than it really needs to be for the simple question that I'm asking -- is there anyone here who sent off their form say around June time that has received confirmation that it is at least being processed (?) -- as if so I could then assume that my form would be processed within a similar amount of time.

Thanks in advance for any insight anybody can provide.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't tried a DSA application through SFE yet, but when I rang up to get some help decoding their crazy system they said if I just wanted the continuing support I'd had before I didn't need to reapply for DSA.

You said you knew the time frames with LEAs, does that mean you've applied before so are you in that situation?

ReputationRep:
    SFE do have a seperate DSA team in place, but I don't know the turnaround.

Students who fall within my caseload are being processed within 3 days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scary Monster)
    I haven't tried a DSA application through SFE yet, but when I rang up to get some help decoding their crazy system they said if I just wanted the continuing support I'd had before I didn't need to reapply for DSA.

You said you knew the time frames with LEAs, does that mean you've applied before so are you in that situation?
    Unfortunately, no. Part of my aspergers is that I tend to research pretty much anything in-depth before I do it; as such I've read almost all the documents I can find regarding the system and regulations for DSAs; that timeframe was mentioned in one of the documents on the DSA-QAG website.

Taiko, very good to hear that they do at least have a separate team . That fills me with at least some hope. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I applied 64 days ago, it hasn't even been looked at yet. For the first 40 days they said it'd definately be processed within 40 days and to get in touch with them if it hadn't, since then they have blamed the backlog.

God knows when it'll get done, I didn't expect it to take this long!

ReputationRep:
    I'm getting precisely that problem with my actual finance application -- it's absolutely ludicrous (and it's been around or more than the timeframe you mention). Driving me absolutely crazy -- this is more stressful than the actual exam results waiting! First it was two weeks, then six, then ten... now they don't even estimate.

I'm going to ring up again tomorrow and try asking to speak to a manager. Perhaps they may not be so prone to giving out the 'backlog excuse' with no other explanation. If the worst comes to the worst I can probably borrow the equipment I need from friends/family for the first term, but it's still flaming awkward that I may even have to.

Feel the need to rant so will end here before I do so.

ReputationRep:
    Ranting is perfectly allowed as far as I know.

Another thing to do is to get in touch with the disability service at the university you're planning on going to. They are pretty used to dealing with this kind of thing and filling in the gaps until stuff comes through from LEAs/SFE.

ReputationRep:
    Ranting is perfectly allowed as far as I know.

Another thing to do is to get in touch with the disability service at the university you're planning on going to. They are pretty used to dealing with this kind of thing and filling in the gaps until stuff comes through from LEAs/SFE.

ReputationRep:
    Allowed yes, but almost certainly annoying and unwanted . Strangely enough I'm always far more considerate over the internet

Thanks for the advice; I have already had a meeting with the Mental Health team (now, fortunately, has a sub-team for ASDs -- very glad, as mental health has a bit of a bad connotation) and they've come up with a plan for that side of my needs (namely the use of a separate room and computer for exams, extra supervision for groupwork, etc.). Obviously some things can't be provided by them, as it's a matter of funding and whether the needs assessment comes up with the same recommendations.

I feel pretty secure that actually living at the university and the relevant accomodations in lectures etc. have already been organised; it's just a stress waiting for the 'official' side of it as it were

ReputationRep:
    Is this as in "we have not got back to you to decide whether you're entitled or not"? They scan the assessment needs letter and are 8 weeks behind.

I spoke to the assessment centre and explained the situation. They allowed me to be assessed and managed to get a copy of the letter themselves, but I had to provide them (assessment centre) with evidence I had, as SFE hadn't sent mine back.

ReputationRep:
    Titch89: I was under the impression that in order for a needs assessment to be provided you had to have a confirmation of entitlement (since the DSA itself pays for the needs assessment), or am I misunderstanding your post?

ReputationRep:
    I have not explained myself properly:
    Student Finance are about 8 weeks behind and have to scan every letter (or something) before sending them to you.

In my case, they agreed to fund it, but hadn't given me the letter yet. I told assessment centre this who managed to get a copy of the letter.

ReputationRep:
    Ah, I understand now. I am on the phone at the moment to SFE -- and amazingly have got through to a support guy who doesn't just give the 'backlog' excuse and is actually having a look what is really going on. I'll make sure to ask him about the current timeframe for DSA before I hang-up.

Thanks for the clarification.

ReputationRep:
    I've been told that the initial processing of the form should take 2-3 weeks for DSA (he initially said 6 weeks but he meant that for the main application forms). Let's just hope that it isn't as bad an estimate as it was for the previous one.

I really don't trust them now though as apparently my previous form HAD been processed; and had incorrect information on it (wrong years) -- and they hadn't informed me of this. *has a great urge to hurt something* Thankfully he says that considering the current backlog it should be fine for the start of Uni provided that the proper information is sent off ASAP.

ReputationRep:
    If anyone is interested just an update on this; I rang up again today about a different matter and also about DSA. The person I spoke to rang someone from the department that processes the DSA1 forms and she confirmed that they are currently processing forms from the first two weeks of July; so the timeframe is definitely correct.

ReputationRep:
    Bleugh, I'm so fed up with waiting for this. It's such unnecessary stress!!

ReputationRep:
    If yours was sent two months ago you really should ring up and ask for the status of the application, considering that they are now processing forms from the beginning of this month. They can't be trusted to remind themselves!

ReputationRep:
    I sent mine off today (signed for, so at least I'll know it got there) - had to wait for part 5 to come back to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swiftuk)
    I sent mine off today (signed for, so at least I'll know it got there) - had to wait for part 5 to come back to me.
    Part five? I assume that's post-assessment? Do you have a list of all the relevant parts? I'm sure I've seen one before but can't seem to find it to reference it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TempusV)
    Part five? I assume that's post-assessment? Do you have a list of all the relevant parts? I'm sure I've seen one before but can't seem to find it to reference it.
    It's not something you need to worry about - not relevant to full time undergrads.

(End of section 4 of the form says: If you are a full-time undergraduate who does not study by distance learning go to Section 6).

Just adds time if you're PGT/PGR or part-time undergrad/distance learning - you have to get the uni to certify you're doing the course as you haven't given information that SFE get about full-time undergrads via other paperwork (e.g. UCAS for course confirmation).

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.