Turn on thread page Beta

DSA - Processing Time watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    k9ruby: Hope it works out soon . I take it SFE put you through to the DSA dept. at Darlington each time?

ReputationRep:
    I haven't even got at the DSA dept yet.

All I get is SFE advisors saying they can't confirm or deny whether my application has been received, and agreeing that I can't check myself online (because it's a different system and they don't have an open application for 09/10 because I didn't apply for a loan being a postgrad).

This is doing my head in, as it's only 5 weeks until I start.

ReputationRep:
    Ask to be put directly through to the DSA department at Darlington -- though they should be able to tell you over the phone the status of your application; I've never had a problem getting them to do at least that much for me.

Question for those who have already had their assessments: how long did it take for you to receive the draft recommendations through the post?

ReputationRep:
    Mine took just over a fortnight to come through.

ReputationRep:
    Oof! That's longer than it took me to get the appointment! I hope it doesn't take my assessor that long -- my timescale in that case goes a bit into the red

ReputationRep:
    Bout 2-3 weeks

ReputationRep:
    You need to bear in mind that the assessment reports come with quotes for any equipment they specify. So not only do they have to write up the reports which can take a while, go through everything and check it, then send the specs out to a couple of suppliers and then wait for the quotes to come back before compiling the full report and sending it out.

A fortnight is pretty standard, I wouldn't get your hopes up too high for anything much sooner than that. And possibly slightly longer with the bank holiday at the back end of the fortnight.

Sorry!

ReputationRep:
    I had my assessment at the start of October and got my equipment just before Christmas (the report came through 3 and a bit weeks after the assessment I think then it took a while for the LEA to approve it)

ReputationRep:
    Mine took 2 weeks. It was sent through by e-mail. Confirmed all was ok by e-mail and they sent me final copy and sent off to student finance which seemed the quick part.

ReputationRep:
    Scary Monster: Yup, they have to get 3 quotes in total (even my assessor thought that was a stupid requirement) -- all things considered I can imagine it taking around a fortnight, but I'll probably ring up in a week to track progress. I find with any type of service it's always best to keep bringing it up -- it may not have made any progress in that time but at least it keeps it on the 'todo list'.

Hygeia: That sounds promising. That equates in terms of my timescales to mid-October for completing the process, which is good timing (my course starts properly on 11th October after Freshers Week).

xxxkatiexxx: I'm pretty sure mine comes through the post. She says she is sending two copies; one to keep and one to be signed for confirmation and sent back. If the SFE bit was the quick part that is good at least; even if one takes longer than the other it still evens out in the end.

ReputationRep:
    That's one good thing at least, that the report they're sending you out is the final one. Things can get slowed down further by students saying that they want to see the report before it's finalised.

A word of warning now though, when you get to equipment supply the start of term is their nightmare busy time and you're limited to when you can get a slot for someone to come round and install it which can be a really frustrating wait.

Another thing, is 14 working days is in fact not a fortnight, but almost 3 weeks. A nifty little twist lots of the stages in DSA use.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm. This is a good point. We shall see .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TempusV)
    Oof! That's longer than it took me to get the appointment! I hope it doesn't take my assessor that long -- my timescale in that case goes a bit into the red
    A week. It took another 2 weeks to get an amended report. (I have a feeling I may need another one too:rolleyes: :o: )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Titch89)
    A week. It took another 2 weeks to get an amended report. (I have a feeling I may need another one too:rolleyes: :o: )
    Now that is a nicer timeframe :P . At least a little hope among the general SFE bureaucracy

ReputationRep:
    Now that is a nicer timeframe :P . At least a little hope among the general SFE bureaucracy
    Might be because the assessors are not part of SFE

That said, there seems to be a feeling that the number of assessments are unseasonably low, and that there is going to be a 'rush' when SFE get their act together.

ReputationRep:
    Speaking to an assessor up at CLASS in London, there's a lot less going. For LEA's, most applied first year for DSA and have been through the process.

For SFE, there's still the backlog.

With regards to the Postgrad thing on the database, still no word when it's being added, but on previous experience it's usually late august early september, same time as part-time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Taiko)
    For SFE, there's still the backlog.
    I don't quite get this. In terms of DSA either I was extremely lucky, or there really isn't that much of a backlog (I know there is generally, but just in terms of DSA).

I dread to think though how many assessments will have to be done in a shorter period of time though if not many are being done now!

ReputationRep:
    Seems I wasn't that lucky after all -- the assessment itself was good, but I am still waiting to receive my reccomendations from the centre. They were supposedly sent on Monday first class after a lot of complaining; though they still haven't arrived so I've sent off yet another email to them.

I really, really hate this system.

ReputationRep:
    Seems I wasn't that lucky after all -- the assessment itself was good, but I am still waiting to receive my reccomendations from the centre. They were supposedly sent on Monday first class after a lot of complaining; though they still haven't arrived so I've sent off yet another email to them.

I really, really hate this system.
    I could be wrong, but aren't there some postal strikes going now?

ReputationRep:
    The DSA was incredibly low, despite it being completed far back in June. I got a vibrating alarm that I needed to wake me up at 8am every morning in...APRIL. I should have been really angry cos without the alarms, I will oversleep. Luckily my accommodation provided vibrating fire alarms which is also a clock alarm in one but I don't know what I would have done if they hadn't provided it!

I also have another question- am I required to apply again for DSA for the 2nd year or just one-time application is needed? :s:

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.