The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Titch89
I could be wrong, but aren't there some postal strikes going now?:s-smilie:

That was a good suggestion and I hadn't checked -- there are postal strikes going on; but none are in my area or the area(s) between me and my assessment centre (Leicester and Nottingham). Thanks anyway.
Reply 81
I got all my equiptment yesturday! At last! Wooooo!
Ordered mine today. Got everything on the assessment plus 10 taxi fares a week which are going to be a godsend and will give my poor mum a break. She has been ferrying me about since god knows when. Very happy.
Reply 83
Received my reccomendations today :smile: Woo! My assessor is on leave until the next Friday; but after that it'll be straight off to SFE and finally be processed. Hurrah.
Reply 84
i still dont even know if theyve recieved my application yet :frown: still waiting for a letter to say i'm not eligible to show the uni!
Reply 85
Hi guys I was wondering if anyone could help me. I still haven't been able to put my application in as I've only just been able to have my dyslexia assesment (god knows but for some reason I had to wait 3 months for an appointment?) Anyway I'm putting my application when I recieve my Ed. Asesment, how long have you found it took between sending in the application until you get the needs asesment? I hope it isn't too long as I'll start to need some of the allowance!
It can be a fairly long wait at the moment, SFE are taking forever to process everything. Things speed up somewhat once you get to the NEeds Assessment stage though.

You need to talk to the disability office at your university and see what help and support you can get from them. They can often help you out short term while you're waiting on DSA type stuff.

Just to warn you though in case you weren't already aware, you won't get any money direct to you through DSA, it all comes as support or equipment provision or repayment of costs for consumables.
Reply 87
Umm I'm taking an unexpected Gap Year because of my health but will need to through DLA again next year. I needed to get an assessment done but I have no idea how I go about this? Who do you go to? Where do you go and then what happens next?

Thanks
Do you mean DLA or DSA?

DLA is disability living allowance, and has nothing to do with you being a student.

DSA is the Disabled Students Allowance and is to provide extra support you need to study to compensate for your disability.

For a DSA Needs Assessment, you have to apply for DSA, get approved for it, then they will send you instructions of how to organise a Needs Assessment, and the list of assessment centres.
Reply 89

Do you mean DLA or DSA?

DLA is disability living allowance, and has nothing to do with you being a student.

DSA is the Disabled Students Allowance and is to provide extra support you need to study to compensate for your disability.

For a DSA Needs Assessment, you have to apply for DSA, get approved for it, then they will send you instructions of how to organise a Needs Assessment, and the list of assessment centres.

Sorry yes I did mean DSA! I applied and was sent a letter asking me to get a needs assessment except it didn't say where but said my uni may be able to help? AM I meant to just call them?
Which uni are you going to?

You can either arrange one near uni or near home - uni is probably best if it works on practical grounds.

http://www.nnac.org/students/findcentre.php

Has a list of assessment centres.
Scary Monster
Which uni are you going to?

You can either arrange one near uni or near home - uni is probably best if it works on practical grounds.

http://www.nnac.org/students/findcentre.php

Has a list of assessment centres.

Here's a more complete list - it is on the website of the people who audit the DSA:
http://www.dsa-qag.org.uk/search.asp?f=4
Reply 92
Heyy.

I had my Needs Assessment in early August, and the Assessor sent off my report on the 1st September to SFE.

They said i should hear within 2/3 Weeks. It's now been over 3, What should I do?

I leave for Uni next Saturday, and i really do need the laptop to take with me.
Ring up SFE repeatedly and try and find out where the application is up to.

Also look online at the your correspondence section and check there aren't letters there that you haven't received that relate to it.

If stuff doesn't arrive before you go then it will be delivered to you at uni, and all set up in your room for you.

Latest