Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Help with accommodation.... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Okay, i've decided upon most of my details for accommodation but I am stuck on one last choice....

My family have lost their business so my income is nothing and so i'm eligible for the full grants and loans

I am stuck between choosing a standard room with a washbasin £75 but shared bathroom facilities and an ensuite room at £101

I don't know which to choose as I want to know how this will effect my budget...I plan on getting a part time job at uni so should i go for ensuite?

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't go for ensuite if I were you - it's not worth that extra money! You have a sink in your room which is really useful. I've never had to wait to use a toilet or a shower and that extra £26 will go a long way towards a good night out!

ReputationRep:
    I went for the ensuite, but that was only because my maintenance loan covered the full accommodation cost. If it ate into my grant, i would have probably went for the shared bathroom.

ReputationRep:
    i would probably first compare how long the contract lasts for. I've noticed with my halls which have an ensuite and more pricey has a shorter tenancy compared to one without. so for the total year im actually saving a lot even though i pay more weekly. Also would u be happy sharing a bathroom with x amount of people?

ReputationRep:
    Well the contracts are the same: with loans and everything I would get 7,200 per year

and standard room would cost me for the contract i want 2925 for a year

en suite would be 3939

Hmmmm...how would this effect other parts of my budget...could i manage?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    You're obviously not one of those people for whom not having en-suite is unimaginable, and you're obviously trying to think carefully about money. Bearing those things in mind, I'd say go for the standard room. I mean, we're pretty literally talking about pouring a thousand pounds down the drain, here, and although you could manage either option financially it just seems like such a waste.

Look at it this way - you can always save that money and put it towards next year, or have it as a safety net, or even just spend it on something, but personally I can think of many far more interesting things to do with it than have my own private toilet, and I'm sure you can too. If, right now, someone gave you the option of having an en-suite bathroom in your home, or being given a thousand pounds, which would you choose?

ReputationRep:
    True, also things like gym membership and so forth aren't so pricey in comparison....

just the thing is (and i though this is both embarrassing and gross) is that i get defensive and paranoid about things on the toilet. Oh well....I can probably sort them out. Think i might put standard with washbasin as my preference and possibly en suite as a back up.

ReputationRep:
    I personally loved having an ensuite in my first year as you could have a shower and go to the toilet whenever you wanted to.
    I did, however, on my university accomodation put washbasin as my preference because i thought it's cheaper - why not. But the uni later contacted me saying the wash basin halls had been knocked down so i to be placed in ensuite accomodation and pay the outstanding fee.
    It's totally up to you. If you think you can cope with sharing, do that. That way you save a penny or two as well.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Downing Students

Universal Student Living

“Over 25 years of perfecting the student accommodation experience. Downing Students. Accommodation Made for you”

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.