Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Goose)
    well to all the facepalmers have you ever actually used it?

I have EA active and found it to be good for cardio as well but then I'm not very fit at all, and when I bought it I was too embarrassed to go to a gym or anything, when i did go to the gym the guy basically said anything that keeps my heart rate (age and weight specific) at around 170 bpm will burn calories, so presumably if a jog in my living room and my heart rate is above 170 tis all good.

OP there's a lot of fitness snobs on here, but if you enjoy using it and think your seeing a change then carry on
    There are also a lot of lazy people on here that don't want to do any work and want to take the easy (and often wrong) route to everything. Wii Fit is a gimmick. You may moan about people telling you to join the gym (and I agree it's not the only way to get fit), but that's no worse than advocating spending £150 on this crap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mipegg)
    Joining a gym is by far the most effective way to train for 99.99% of people. Not many have the correct equipment (weight set, barbells, rack etc) at home, as for just cardio training them sure you dont need a gym. Theres roads and fields everywhere but it doesnt change the fact its not the most effective way to train anything other than cardio

i never said the gym wasn't the most effective, I agree with you, but it's also very expensive most of the time and for a total beginner who wants to improve fitness, maybe already has a wii £40 on wii active to get them moving again may be the better option that £40 per month in a gym, when all they would do is use a treadmill

ReputationRep:
    i never said the gym wasn't the most effective, I agree with you, but it's also very expensive most of the time and for a total beginner who wants to improve fitness, maybe already has a wii £40 on wii active to get them moving again may be the better option that £40 per month in a gym, when all they would do is use a treadmill
    Wii console: 165 quid
    Wii fit: 90 quid
    EA Active: 40 quid

Total comes to: 300 quid. I dont know how everyone elses gym stacks up, but thats 15 months for me.

ReputationRep:

Total comes to: 300 quid. I dont know how everyone elses gym stacks up, but thats 15 months for me.
    my point was for people who already had the console.
    wii fit was 70 quid when i bought it

any you must go to a VERY cheap gym, the likes of which there aren't in my area because even if you spent 300 that only 8 months membership in my gym.

so IF someone already owned the console, and didn't want to/ to embarrassed to/ can't afford to become a gym member it isn't POINTLESS for them to spend a one-off £40 on something to get them moving again. this is my point. From the responses I'm getting I think I'm being misunderstood, I'm certainly not saying that wii active in your lounge is as good or better than a gym because its not, but I wouldn't say it's a waste of money either.

ReputationRep:

any you must go to a VERY cheap gym, the likes of which there aren't in my area because even if you spent 300 that only 8 months membership in my gym.

so IF someone already owned the console, and didn't want to/ to embarrassed to/ can't afford to become a gym member it isn't POINTLESS for them to spend a one-off £40 on something to get them moving again. this is my point. From the responses I'm getting I think I'm being misunderstood, I'm certainly not saying that wii active in your lounge is as good or better than a gym because its not, but I wouldn't say it's a waste of money either.
    Even with the console they would have to get the wii fit and the game. Thats well over 100 quid for something which will make, at best, a minuscule difference. If you go to a gym rather than a health club its a hell of alot cheaper since they arent aiming to entice people with these sorts of gimmicks. That or a council gym, their all quite cheap.

Fact is even if people dont want to go to a gym there are plenty of better free forms of exercise they can do in/around their home and not spend a penny. So to me, its just handing your money over ot nintendo/EA for not an awful lot of good

ReputationRep:

In fairness Wii Fit is like £57.50, so if you're paying £90 you are getting ripped.
    And EA sports active is like £35.

Though i do agree about the gym being the best route.

ReputationRep:

The money would be better spent on the gym though, so the price excuse can't be used. If anyone's that serious lack of desire or embarrassment wouldn't hold them back. It's pointless in my eyes, a waste of money because it can be better spent for much better and quicker results. You don't even need to join a gym, save yourself the money full stop and use alternative methods.

ReputationRep:

/THREAD

ReputationRep:
    This will get you fit about the same rate as Call of Duty 4 would prepare me for the war in Iraq, or Left 4 Dead for a zombie apocalypse.

It's a game. Don't expect miracles.

ReputationRep:
    As long as you people are only insulting the Wii fitness games and not the Wii itself, I'm happy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magnanimity)
    This will get you fit about the same rate as Call of Duty 4 would prepare me for the war in Iraq, or Left 4 Dead for a zombie apocalypse.

:top:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magnanimity)

lol what this person said

ReputationRep:
    too many trolls on here that enjoy their masturbatory 'fitness' and sneer at people who have other methods to have a bit of fun.

if it makes you sweat, its generally good for you. **** the naysayers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by capitalP)
    too many trolls on here that enjoy their masturbatory 'fitness' and sneer at people who have other methods to have a bit of fun.

Jailbait makes me sweat, is that good for me too?

ReputationRep:
    is jailbait exercise?

ReputationRep:
    is jailbait exercise?
    Well...

ReputationRep:

Sticking my head in a fire ain't too good for me, is it?

ReputationRep:
    try it and let us know

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.