Turn on thread page Beta

How to put things right with my bf watch

I'm really really bad at sorting out gifts and I feel like I've messed things up with my bf because of this. We've been together for about 18 months now and he's always been very good at finding really sweet and thoughtful gifts (e.g. took me out for a meal at a lovely resturant, organised a trip to something I'd been wanting to do, got me a beautiful necklace).
    I made him a photo album for his birthday last year, but for Christmas I basically gave him nothing (I got him something which turned out to be broken, and the company never replaced it and I couldn't afford to buy a replacement) This year I had been planning a suprise trip to Paris but some of his friends from Scotland contacted me about visiting him as a suprise on the same weekend and we haven't both had another free weekend since. I haven't told him I had been planning this because I wanted to have the trip as a suprise at some point this summer, so he thinks I got him nothing for his last birthday and nothing for this birthday. Unfortunatly I've just lost my job and I should be saving for uni which I'm starting in October and I can't really afford to organise the trip anymore so I'm feeling quite guilty about it.
    He hasn't mentioned it, and I don't think he ever would, but I'm very scared that he might think I'm exploiting him or taking advantage or something. I don't know what to do now.

ReputationRep:
    Geez. You've been going out with him for 18 months! I'm sure he doesn't expect you to be getting gifts you just cannot afford for him. Think about something you can get him that doesn't cost much, but tells him how much he means to you. A mixed tape, or a homemade dinner, or a scrapbook. Something like that? But he's not going to scoff at you, because you haven't got the money. I'm sure he'll understand, especially since you've just lost your job.

ReputationRep:
    Tell him about the trip and the broken gift. Tell him about everything and i'm sure he'll be happy..Ruining the paris surprise it better than having him think that you haven't bought him anything :smile:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by khalaf)
    Tell him about the trip and the broken gift. Tell him about everything and i'm sure he'll be happy..Ruining the paris surprise it better than having him think that you haven't bought him anything :smile:

yes exactly.

and buy him something cheaper.
    why should he expect expensive extravagance anyway.

ReputationRep:
    yea be honest with him if paris out question how bout romantic weekend in countryside or summot

ReputationRep:
    If my girlfriend was going through something similar and she let me know about it, I'd completely understand. If, for whatever reason, it seemed like she just wasn't bothering to make the effort on special occasions I'd feel pretty unhappy. So perhaps talk to him about it a little more?

Also, you could ask someone to lend you tent and camp somewhere nice on the cheap? Toast some marshmellows; drink beer around a campfire; huddle up in a sleeping bag to stay warm.

ReputationRep:
    When I had no money I made a cake for my boyfriend for his birthday, made sure I decorated it really personally and yeah, he loved it and said it was better than any present I could have bought him. I also woke him up that morning with his favourite breakfast. That must have cost me about £5.

Edit: oh, and just tell him that you have a surprise planned for him that you've had to extend/ change because it didn't work out the last time but you'll explain why after the surprise as you don't want to ruin it. Just explain the general situation like you have to us here and I'm sure he'll be fine!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 22, 2009
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.