Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Posting anon for my own reasons.

the last few weeks have been hell for me, and it feels like everything in my life is collapsing and working against me.

Firstly, I didnt get enough IB points to do my law degree next year, missing it by 5 points, and it also means i didnt get my insurance choice either. A lot of the universities that are good wont really take me on for law or history, so it looks like i will resit my exams, which im really not confident in.

Because of this my parents seem to think that i'm a failure, I come from a family of oxbridge graduates, doctors and bankers. The lack of faith my parents have is killing me, to the extent that I felt like dying when they forgot my birthday (which was 2 days after results)

Ive lost a lot of my friends, because of my commitments to my family (working in the family business and caring for my grandparents) so I can't really go out often. The problem is that they dont understand this and seem to have just forgotten i exist. None of them even remembered it was my birthday until a few days after, which though i told them not to worry, made me feel really really bad. Today they all went to the beach and I didnt find out until this afternoon on facebook (hidden invitation).

I got fired from my job, just because of the economic climate, so now im working more hours in my family's business, under the scrutiny of my parents all the time. My relationship isnt great with them now either, which is even more depressing.

I havent ever had a girlfriend or really any sexual contact with a woman ever, and im 18, which though isnt that big a deal, sometimes does get to me, especially when the girls i really like end up going out with other guys who seem superior physically, academically etc. I know thats a pretty shallow excuse to why i think im a failure, but I think its also a valid point

and finally, my plans of becoming a good solicitor imo, are probably gone now, no top 20 uni will take a retake student, even if they dont know how hard the IB exams are or how the system works, which is making me reconsider my whole future.

thanks for reading, and i understand if you think this is just a whiny complaint lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Posting anon for my own reasons.

the last few weeks have been hell for me, and it feels like everything in my life is collapsing and working against me.

Firstly, I didnt get enough IB points to do my law degree next year, missing it by 5 points, and it also means i didnt get my insurance choice either. A lot of the universities that are good wont really take me on for law or history, so it looks like i will resit my exams, which im really not confident in.

Because of this my parents seem to think that i'm a failure, I come from a family of oxbridge graduates, doctors and bankers. The lack of faith my parents have is killing me, to the extent that I felt like dying when they forgot my birthday (which was 2 days after results)

Ive lost a lot of my friends, because of my commitments to my family (working in the family business and caring for my grandparents) so I can't really go out often. The problem is that they dont understand this and seem to have just forgotten i exist. None of them even remembered it was my birthday until a few days after, which though i told them not to worry, made me feel really really bad. Today they all went to the beach and I didnt find out until this afternoon on facebook (hidden invitation).

I got fired from my job, just because of the economic climate, so now im working more hours in my family's business, under the scrutiny of my parents all the time. My relationship isnt great with them now either, which is even more depressing.

I havent ever had a girlfriend or really any sexual contact with a woman ever, and im 18, which though isnt that big a deal, sometimes does get to me, especially when the girls i really like end up going out with other guys who seem superior physically, academically etc. I know thats a pretty shallow excuse to why i think im a failure, but I think its also a valid point

and finally, my plans of becoming a good solicitor imo, are probably gone now, no top 20 uni will take a retake student, even if they dont know how hard the IB exams are or how the system works, which is making me reconsider my whole future.

thanks for reading, and i understand if you think this is just a whiny complaint lol
    I can't say that I can empathise with you: you seem to have had an awful lot of bad luck recently, and I can fully understand why you say that everything is working against you.

My advice would be to focus on the retakes. You would probably be applying for entry in 2010, which gives you a year to complete them. If, in the meantime, you can gain some relevant work experience, there may not be as any problems regarding applications as you fear. I appreciate that work experience may be difficult due to looking after your grandparents, but anything relevant would, I imagine, be an absolute boon.

I would also encourage you, whatever you do, to sit down with your parents and talk through your plans with them. This would help you put yourself at ease; it could also help with creating an element of trust so that your relationship improves.

I wish you the best of luck and hope that all goes well.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 22, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.