Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i just finished my gcse french this summer and i think im gonna get a low B or a high C..i need to decide keep doing french or start spainish cuz my french is a bit like disaster at the moment.. but the thing is , i've only been learning french for half year so a low B is not bad though. but im just worrying about if i do French B, do i have loads of impossible catch up to do?cuz i prefer doing french myself... what do you think?/help me !!
    btw ill definitly do French B in SL

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you can do French B with a C? Not in my college anyway, don't know about yours.

You have two years to catch up with French, if you really want to learn it. I mean, it depends on how much French you know after your GCSE (why have you only learnt it for half a year?); the first six months will be tough, but it's a lot of fun too. Better to be really good at French than reasonably okay at Spanish, right?

If you're gonna choose French, keep learning it over the summer; you don't want to go back to college with a disadvantage.

ReputationRep:
    You need to have at least 2 years of background knowledge to do French B, so i guess its better for you to start n learn a new language (spanish)

ReputationRep:
    2 years? Awwh my school had a '2 options one year, 2 options next year' system.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarafina)
    I don't think you can do French B with a C? Not in my college anyway, don't know about yours.

You have two years to catch up with French, if you really want to learn it. I mean, it depends on how much French you know after your GCSE (why have you only learnt it for half a year?); the first six months will be tough, but it's a lot of fun too. Better to be really good at French than reasonably okay at Spanish, right?

If you're gonna choose French, keep learning it over the summer; you don't want to go back to college with a disadvantage.
    I didnt do french in my old school,it's just a choice.but i moved to my current school 6months ago but it's compulsory to do french so i caught up/
    with a C I can do frenchB SL. But need a B to do at HL
    so i'll do frenchB!try it at first,if im rly bad, i can change course before the end of septembr

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jc_bach)
    You need to have at least 2 years of background knowledge to do French B, so i guess its better for you to start n learn a new language (spanish)
    ye..but the head of French department said that's for making sure French level..if i can reach that level time is not that important

ReputationRep:
    I do French B and I'm getting A's (always did forever will ), probably go to HL next year. And my first language is spanish..although I do English A. From what I know of both french and spanish, if you're not good at french you won't be good at spanish; it's way more complicated than french with loads of more tenses and grammar complexities. You'll find spanish ab initio difficult and boring as you'll be at basic level and won't really get the chance to appreciate the sweetness of the language. Also, I personally think that french is more ephonious and well, frankly, quite a bit more classy and romantic. They're both awesome though :yes: . If you continue with French you'll find it more entertaining as you advance, it's an awesome feeling when you can actually understand everything you read...^^
    However, are you good at French orals? Can you bring out the French r and talk with flair? If not at all then go to Spanish, pronounciation is easier for spanish...in my opinion. If you don't get overkilled in orals then you might yet have some potential and should by all means continue with french. Good luck in any case.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.