Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Please keep this anonymous.

regarding my mental health, I am not sure if i have a problem so please help me by reading what I say and see if you think it is a problem.

I start from the beginning of my "problem".

When I was about 8, I loved reading manga especially dragonball, I had the whole collection, I also loved lots of other mangas and kept watching the TV series, I got so abossesed with it, i was doing role playing when no one was around but soon got bored of that but my mental "problem" started, I kept reimagining the mangas in my head but had me as the lead character and changed the plot a little as I liked it. At the time it was fun and kept me entertained when alone. But by 10 it got boring and ended. but at 13 I started again, this time with my own plot(original), It was fun seeing how my imgination could keep me entertained. I found out listening to music helped me think more exciting plots and it got addictive, it didn't help i started reading Naruto and bleach, it got more addictive, I sometimes even made excuses to walk long distances e.g. walking to the bus stop(30mins), doing the shopping on foot(1 hour) all so I could get more time to continue my imaginery manga series, to this day I am almost 17 and the story has gone on very long and recently, I even wrote some of it down, adapted it so it looked much more like a short novell and plan to publish it as a short read on the internet, recently it has gotten more addictive, i have even rejected walking with friends(half the time), walking a circular route almost everyday, sometimes twice a day.

I was just wondering if I need to stop or is it not so bad, because if I need to stop I would properly need help.....

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like you have a real talent for imagination and you could put it to some you if you could ever publish it.
    However the fact that now it interferes with your daily life and social activities is worrying and the fact you post this topic means you recognise that it's getting out of control.
    As you say, you seem to be addicted to it, but the key thing is whether you have it in you to stop your imagination yourself or whether you will need more help and support with this.
    Perhaps let one of your close friends/family know about the problem (you dont have to go into detail if you find it embarassing) and say you need their help to distract you from this so you can break the habit?
    If that doesn't work then Im sure your GP would be able to refer you to someone helpful if you can't manage this alone.
    I hope it goes well for you

(Original post by Smile88egc)
    Sounds like you have a real talent for imagination and you could put it to some you if you could ever publish it.
    However the fact that now it interferes with your daily life and social activities is worrying and the fact you post this topic means you recognise that it's getting out of control.
    As you say, you seem to be addicted to it, but the key thing is whether you have it in you to stop your imagination yourself or whether you will need more help and support with this.
    Perhaps let one of your close friends/family know about the problem (you dont have to go into detail if you find it embarassing) and say you need their help to distract you from this so you can break the habit?
    If that doesn't work then Im sure your GP would be able to refer you to someone helpful if you can't manage this alone.
    I hope it goes well for you
    I was thinking of going to the GP but I thought I could be wasting their time as this could just be my over imaginitive mind and nothing else.

ReputationRep:
    Oh my god, I have done the same thing since I was about the same age (from watching DBZ and Bleach, and Buffy and old kung fu films, I'm such a geek!) and imagining it in my head, but I suppose where you and I differ is I kind of only do it when I'm laying awake in bed trying to drift off, or if I have to walk a long way on my own and have my ipod on.... like you, I think my stories must be about 6 or 7 years old by now with hundreds of silly plotlines and characters...

Perhaps I think where you and I differ is that I am quite artistic, I can draw and I can write and that's put it out of my system really. Imagining on its own is useless, you have nothing to show for it, no hard copies or work to be proud of that show you've made a productive use of your time! Maybe its time to start writing or drawing for you?

You don't have "mental issues" - you just have a good imagination, you need to put it to good use, you have a lot of creative talent. Just don't shun friends for it, maybe if you had an outlet for that creativity you could devote time to your social life more

(Original post by screenager2004)
    Oh my god, I have done the same thing since I was about the same age (from watching DBZ and Bleach, and Buffy and old kung fu films, I'm such a geek!) and imagining it in my head, but I suppose where you and I differ is I kind of only do it when I'm laying awake in bed trying to drift off, or if I have to walk a long way on my own and have my ipod on.... like you, I think my stories must be about 6 or 7 years old by now with hundreds of silly plotlines and characters...

Perhaps I think where you and I differ is that I am quite artistic, I can draw and I can write and that's put it out of my system really. Imagining on its own is useless, you have nothing to show for it, no hard copies or work to be proud of that show you've made a productive use of your time! Maybe its time to start writing or drawing for you?

You don't have "mental issues" - you just have a good imagination, you need to put it to good use, you have a lot of creative talent. Just don't shun friends for it, maybe if you had an outlet for that creativity you could devote time to your social life more
    I wished I could draw, I have done drawings before and it just look stupid and my problem also that I feel I can't show anyone what I have "thought" and it's furstrating as my friends and family just think I really like walking and are recommending me to do the ten tors and I am stuck for words. that's why I have converted some of my story into a short read. trying my best to produce some hard copy of what I have done.

Phew,you don't know how much better I feel knowing it's not a mental problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I wished I could draw, I have done drawings before and it just look stupid and my problem also that I feel I can't show anyone what I have "thought" and it's furstrating as my friends and family just think I really like walking and are recommending me to do the ten tors and I am stuck for words. that's why I have converted some of my story into a short read. trying my best to produce some hard copy of what I have done.

Phew,you don't know how much better I feel knowing it's not a mental problem.
    They don't have to be good and you don't need to show other people, it's just more constructive to draw pictures than to just imagine things in your head, otherwise you are pouring hours of your life into nothing.

Besides, the longer you spend, the better at it you'll get, then one day you will be able to show other people it if you feel the need to.

You're such a huge fan of manga, why not make some of your own.

I keep seeing people have quoted me, but then deleted their posts, which makes me worry they've written something like "Oh my god ur so lame" but I don't care, everyone does it; everyone imagines themselves in a band when they listen to good music etc, its called fantasy, it doesn't make you a nerd. You'd be pretty vacuous and dead inside without it! So don't think you're mental or some kind of anomaly for having an imagination.

If everyone had laughed at JK Rowling or Tolkien when they told people they had imagined a good idea for some fiction then were would those great works be?

(Original post by screenager2004)
    They don't have to be good and you don't need to show other people, it's just more constructive to draw pictures than to just imagine things in your head, otherwise you are pouring hours of your life into nothing.

Besides, the longer you spend, the better at it you'll get, then one day you will be able to show other people it if you feel the need to.

You're such a huge fan of manga, why not make some of your own.

I keep seeing people have quoted me, but then deleted their posts, which makes me worry they've written something like "Oh my god ur so lame" but I don't care, everyone does it; everyone imagines themselves in a band when they listen to good music etc, its called fantasy, it doesn't make you a nerd. You'd be pretty vacuous and dead inside without it! So don't think you're mental or some kind of anomaly for having an imagination.

If everyone had laughed at JK Rowling or Tolkien when they told people they had imagined a good idea for some fiction then were would those great works be?

If only people around me would think like this.

ReputationRep:
    It's nice to know there are more of us out there! I'm a hardcore Naruto fan, forever having daydreams about doing awesome jutsu's and being a member of konohagakure Ninja elite! I've had fantasies like this everytime I'm into a new manga. I used to pretend I had a secret Millennium item when I was into Yugioh, and pretend I was working for Light Yagami as a secret agent when I was into Deathnote. I have a best fried who is the same- we draw pictures of our anime selfs and write fanfics for each other, putting ourselves as characters in the story (currently we're on Deathnote)

I got into Manga when I was 15 and I'm nearly 22. I don't care what anyone thinks. I love manga and you're never too old for it; Some people think it's babyish but I have plenty of Manga books that aren't for kids! (Yaoi anyone?!) Don't worry about it, enjoy it! This is what's so great about Manga; the imagination and fun it gives you in your life. It's boring to just live in the mundane real world all the time, you need a bit of excitement and fantasy!

(Original post by Veggiechic)
    It's nice to know there are more of us out there! I'm a hardcore Naruto fan, forever having daydreams about doing awesome jutsu's and being a member of konohagakure Ninja elite! I've had fantasies like this everytime I'm into a new manga. I used to pretend I had a secret Millennium item when I was into Yugioh, and pretend I was working for Light Yagami as a secret agent when I was into Deathnote. I have a best fried who is the same- we draw pictures of our anime selfs and write fanfics for each other, putting ourselves as characters in the story (currently we're on Deathnote)

I got into Manga when I was 15 and I'm nearly 22. Don't worry about it, enjoy it! This is what's so great about Manga; the imagination and fun it gives you in your life. It's boring to just live in the mundane real world all the time, you need a bit of excitement and fantasy!
    My other problem now is that, because I have had this imginery manga series in my head for so long, since about 13/14 I became very down to earth trying to hide my over imaginitive mind to the people around me (even my gf doesn't know), If I break it to them, they properly won't believe, and my gf would properly leaves seeing how I don't share anything with her.

ReputationRep:
    My other problem now is that, because I have had this imginery manga series in my head for so long, since about 13/14 I became very down to earth trying to hide my over imaginitive mind to the people around me (even my gf doesn't know), If I break it to them, they properly won't believe, and my gf would properly leaves seeing how I don't share anything with her.
    Hmm.. pity. I was lucky enough to find someone who was as into it as I was, so we spend endless hours rattling on about how hot Kakashi is and what a **** Kaiba is! I think you should find a forum on the internet that is dedicated to anime (I did this years ago) It's great to chat to people who understand and can chat about it just as enthusiastically. Does your gf know anything about it? Maybe you should mention it to her and lend her one to read, I've got people really into it by doing this. You need to be yourself more. You might find there are loads of people you know who know what you're on about. Manga is pretty popular you know

(Original post by Veggiechic)
    Hmm.. pity. I was lucky enough to find someone who was as into it as I was, so we spend endless hours rattling on about how hot Kakashi is and what a **** Kaiba is! I think you should find a forum on the internet that is dedicated to anime (I did this years ago) It's great to chat to people who understand and can chat about it just as enthusiastically. Does your gf know anything about it? Maybe you should mention it to her and lend her one to read, I've got people really into it by doing this. You need to be yourself more. You might find there are loads of people you know who know what you're on about. Manga is pretty popular you know
    I have tried, but she seems only to read it just to make me happy(I love her).

By the way I am a boy............

ReputationRep:
    I have tried, but she seems only to read it just to make me happy(I love her).

By the way I am a boy............
    Well don't force it on her but you don't have to have the same interests to be together. Just find other people to talk about it with

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 23, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.