Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to all those who are squeamish! I apologise in advance for the lovely detail...

Hey, I'm just recovering from another 4-5 hours of severe stomach ache and vomiting. I was wondering whether I should go to the doctor, as this has been happening every month for the last 4-5 periods I've had?
    Usually, I have really bad period pain accompanied by stomach aches and throwing up on 75% of occasions.

The only thing I can think of that might contribute towards it is the pain killers I've been taking. I've tried paracetamol etc, and ibuprofen so it is possible that I may have an allergy or something? I went for the highest strength stuff this time around to try and stop the pain... I only came on yesterday, took the ibuprofen and had a pain free period =] I took my second (and last pill) last night at around midnight, and by 2 o'clock ish today I felt a mild tingly in my stomach that continued to worsen until I started throwing up around half 4.

Thanks to anyone who has any advice.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe see Gp for stronger Painkillers ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by isabella)
    Maybe see Gp for stronger Painkillers ?
    yeah but I don't want to waste their time... is this a 'big enough deal' if you get me, to go to the Docs?

ReputationRep:
    Definitley see your GP if it's causing you that much discomfort.

I know it's different for everyone but I've never been in so much pain that it's caused me to vomit!

ReputationRep:
    Gosh, I never had it as bad as that, but even so, I hated putting up with them. I'm on the contraceptive injection, which means I'm totally period-free. Its not for everyone, but just my suggestion.

ReputationRep:
    Are you on the pill?? Sometimes that helps control painful periods? See you gp.. being sick every month doesn't sound good *sending hugs*

ReputationRep:
    yh if u aint tryin to get preg go on the pill it helps alot and if the painkiller make u ill dont take them

ReputationRep:
    If I were elected Overlord of all the Earth, my first motion would be to abolish the menstrual cycle. *nods*
    But yeah, go see the quack, it's definitely Not Good to be throwing up everywhere.

ReputationRep:
    Please go see a doctor. Maybe ask to go on the pill? that helped me sooo much.

For the moment- try mints and ginger biscuit for the vomiting. Also, try to eat prawn cocktail crisps- theyve got all the sugars and salts and other bits and bobs that your losing in them.

For the cramps- good old bananas. Also, try laying down with your legs above your heart. Sounds weird, and you do get some odd comments, but it really does work.

Please go see a doctor though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k8t11)
    yeah but I don't want to waste their time... is this a 'big enough deal' if you get me, to go to the Docs?
    Def see the Doctor. You shouldn't have to suffer like this

ReputationRep:
    Could've had a reaction to Ibuprofen?
    It can irritate the stomach or something... I don't know much about it...

ReputationRep:
    hey thanks guys for all your support, i want to positive rep you all! i will actually do this so be expecting =]
    i'll make an appoinment tomorrow
    and yeah the ibuprofen leaflet said abdominal pains may be a side effect =/

ReputationRep:
    You should definatley see a doctor, it's not good to keep thowing up every month.
    Hope they can help you out

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 23, 2009

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.