Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to all those who are squeamish! I apologise in advance for the lovely detail...

Hey, I'm just recovering from another 4-5 hours of severe stomach ache and vomiting. I was wondering whether I should go to the doctor, as this has been happening every month for the last 4-5 periods I've had?
    Usually, I have really bad period pain accompanied by stomach aches and throwing up on 75% of occasions.

The only thing I can think of that might contribute towards it is the pain killers I've been taking. I've tried paracetamol etc, and ibuprofen so it is possible that I may have an allergy or something? I went for the highest strength stuff this time around to try and stop the pain... I only came on yesterday, took the ibuprofen and had a pain free period =] I took my second (and last pill) last night at around midnight, and by 2 o'clock ish today I felt a mild tingly in my stomach that continued to worsen until I started throwing up around half 4.

Thanks to anyone who has any advice.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe see Gp for stronger Painkillers ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by isabella)
    Maybe see Gp for stronger Painkillers ?
    yeah but I don't want to waste their time... is this a 'big enough deal' if you get me, to go to the Docs?

ReputationRep:
    Definitley see your GP if it's causing you that much discomfort.

I know it's different for everyone but I've never been in so much pain that it's caused me to vomit!

ReputationRep:
    Gosh, I never had it as bad as that, but even so, I hated putting up with them. I'm on the contraceptive injection, which means I'm totally period-free. Its not for everyone, but just my suggestion.

ReputationRep:
    Are you on the pill?? Sometimes that helps control painful periods? See you gp.. being sick every month doesn't sound good *sending hugs*

ReputationRep:
    yh if u aint tryin to get preg go on the pill it helps alot and if the painkiller make u ill dont take them

ReputationRep:
    If I were elected Overlord of all the Earth, my first motion would be to abolish the menstrual cycle. *nods*
    But yeah, go see the quack, it's definitely Not Good to be throwing up everywhere.

ReputationRep:
    Please go see a doctor. Maybe ask to go on the pill? that helped me sooo much.

For the moment- try mints and ginger biscuit for the vomiting. Also, try to eat prawn cocktail crisps- theyve got all the sugars and salts and other bits and bobs that your losing in them.

For the cramps- good old bananas. Also, try laying down with your legs above your heart. Sounds weird, and you do get some odd comments, but it really does work.

Please go see a doctor though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k8t11)
    yeah but I don't want to waste their time... is this a 'big enough deal' if you get me, to go to the Docs?
    Def see the Doctor. You shouldn't have to suffer like this

ReputationRep:
    Could've had a reaction to Ibuprofen?
    It can irritate the stomach or something... I don't know much about it...

ReputationRep:
    hey thanks guys for all your support, i want to positive rep you all! i will actually do this so be expecting =]
    i'll make an appoinment tomorrow
    and yeah the ibuprofen leaflet said abdominal pains may be a side effect =/

ReputationRep:
    You should definatley see a doctor, it's not good to keep thowing up every month.
    Hope they can help you out

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 23, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.