Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am entering my last year at University and I am looking to join the army or RAF when I graduate. However due to injuries over the past few years I have not done too much extra curricular activities.

So I am looking to improve my application to the forces and help develop skills and my confidence which has decreased at University. I know I cannot join a UAS or OTUC but after doing some research on the TA or RAF reserves I am unsure if I can join them for just a year (maybe a bit longer)?

Also any suggestions for other activities to look into would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    It's absolutely possible, when I joined the RAuxAF it was for less than a year, as I left beforehand for personal reasons. There were other guys in my Regt Flt that were also there as a stop-gap while applying for commissions, as far as I know they all left prior to a full year of service too.

If possible (not sure on age criteria), look into doing things like DofE.

Local volunteering always looks good and I know from personal experience is very rewarding.

Just get your thinking cap on as to what can be done. From the sounds of your current situation, anything is better than nothing.

ReputationRep:
    Do you think you can't join a UAS because there isn't one for your university, or because of the time you've got left [or rather, haven't]?

If it's the latter reason, then I think you should double check, I am lead to believe the rules have changed and final year students are allowed to join.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    Do you think you can't join a UAS because there isn't one for your university, or because of the time you've got left [or rather, haven't]?

If it's the latter reason, then I think you should double check, I am lead to believe the rules have changed and final year students are allowed to join.

Looking at the UAS thread my University does not have one. But I will ring up to make sure.

I will also start applying for the reserves as well.

ReputationRep:
    The normal rules for joining an OTC are that you have to have two full years of study left. However I know of several people who have got in in there last year if they talk a good story.

It often depends on how many applicants they have. Of course if you were planing to stay on for masters degree you would have two full years of study left.

There is no reason why you can't join the TA or RAuxAF in your last year of university. There are plenty of people who use this as a stepping stone to a future full time career in the forces. However budgets are tight this year so you may not get a hugely favourable answer if you make it clear you are only going to do one year, as they will then know they aren't going to get any useful work out of you.

You might be best placed to say something like you are looking at settling in the area when you graduate and are looking at various career options. By all means say a career in one of the regular forces is an option and you are using the TA / RAuxAF to see if you like it. But I would steer clear of making it clear you only plan to do less than a year. Who knows you may like it and decide to stay on for a while.

Hope that all makes sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by armyboy)
    The normal rules for joining an OTC are that you have to have two full years of study left. However I know of several people who have got in in there last year if they talk a good story.

It often depends on how many applicants they have. Of course if you were planing to stay on for masters degree you would have two full years of study left.

There is no reason why you can't join the TA or RAuxAF in your last year of university. There are plenty of people who use this as a stepping stone to a future full time career in the forces. However budgets are tight this year so you may not get a hugely favourable answer if you make it clear you are only going to do one year, as they will then know they aren't going to get any useful work out of you.

You might be best placed to say something like you are looking at settling in the area when you graduate and are looking at various career options. By all means say a career in one of the regular forces is an option and you are using the TA / RAuxAF to see if you like it. But I would steer clear of making it clear you only plan to do less than a year. Who knows you may like it and decide to stay on for a while.

Hope that all makes sense.
    Thanks, I will keep that in mind. But what if I start applying for a full time career in the forces? Which I am planning to do pretty much as soon as i return to uni in september?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mgodwin88)
    Thanks, I will keep that in mind. But what if I start applying for a full time career in the forces? Which I am planning to do pretty much as soon as i return to uni in september?

The two are separate. Just because you're applying to the Forces doesn't mean you should get into the UAS/other units, just as being in the UAS/etc doesn't mean you'd automatically get into the RAF.

Regards your earlier post about not having an UAS at your university, that's not always the case. Just because you're not on the recognised list for one, there will more than likely be a nearby one that would at least listen to you and give you a chance. Which university are you at?

ReputationRep:
    Which uni are you at? Sussex uni is about the only university not directly affiliated with a UAS... and I believe those that are keen go to ULAS.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, I will keep that in mind. But what if I start applying for a full time career in the forces? Which I am planning to do pretty much as soon as I return to uni in september?

Tricky one. The two applications are completely separate, ie applying to join the TA / RAF Reserves and applying to join the regular forces.

If you have submitted an application to the regular forces I think you are duty bound to mention it to a reserve forces unit you are applying to join. There is probably a question about it on the application form anyway.

The TA and the RAF Reserves are now very much on a war footing supporting operations in Afghanistan. All recruiting and training is now very much geared to getting troops fit to deploy to Afghanistan. Budgets have been cut and all expenditure is now really focused on operational output. There will therefore be a reluctance from many units to take you if they know it is just for a year and you are not going to be able to deploy. They are wasting their training budget which is very tight this year. That said some COs would go for it and consider the wider benefit to the service.

I was involved in recruting in an OTC until a couple of years ago. We certainly took a number of people in your position, even though officialy we weren't supposed to. That said we gave priority to first years as they would overall get more out of joining for three years, and a final year student is unlikely to be able to commit to much training.

One thing you should consider is how much time you will have in your final year to take on a big new commitment. There really isn't much point in joining just for a year, to get a bit of a taste of service life, if you cant put enough time in to do some meaningfull training. Only you know how much study pressure you are under and how much time you could sensibly commit to another activity, which will take up a decent amount of time if you take it seriously.

You might be better just asking the careers advisor to fix up a decent work experience visit or regimental attachment.

If you do want to try joining the reserve forces, then why not go for it and be honest, the worst that can happen is they say "sorry we wont take you just for a year". You've not lost anything by trying and if your regular application is unsucesful you can easiliy go back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by armyboy)
    The TA and the RAF Reserves are now very much on a war footing supporting operations in Afghanistan. All recruiting and training is now very much geared to getting troops fit to deploy to Afghanistan. Budgets have been cut and all expenditure is now really focused on operational output. There will therefore be a reluctance from many units to take you if they know it is just for a year and you are not going to be able to deploy. They are wasting their training budget which is very tight this year. That said some COs would go for it and consider the wider benefit to the service.
    This. A year ago, I'd have said 'yeah, go for it!', however with the budget cuts and our current operational tempo, you'd be taking up a valuable space. Sorry to be blunt chum, but we need all the blokes we can get who are willing to do the time and deploy, not those who are in it for the short-term.

Of course, as armyboy says, I may be wrong and there may be some units willing to take you on, I can only comment on an Inf point of view, and I can honestly say you'd certainly not be let in my lot, and I seriously doubt any other Inf units would take you on either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lady Venom)
    Which uni are you at? Sussex uni is about the only university not directly affiliated with a UAS... and I believe those that are keen go to ULAS.
    Im at Gloucestershire UNi which is slap bang in the middle of Bristol and Birmingham.

ReputationRep:
    Im at Gloucestershire UNi which is slap bang in the middle of Bristol and Birmingham.

Fair one. I'd contact both directly. Brum fly out of Cosford and Bristol fly out of Colerne if that's of any help.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 29, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.