Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Why do you drink alcohol? and what are you limits? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pina.Love)
    I am starting to notice these days (haha I sound so old) that people especially the young are drinking alcohol just to get drunk and I am starting to think its pathetic.

A friend of mine can only have a "good time" once she has gotten drunk which find sad in all honesty its like people have not confidence in themselves anymore it also seems to be more common in women then men.

I have seen people a very few amount of people drink alcohol because they like the taste the rest drink it just to get drunk..which i find it hard to understand because:
    you do not remember what you did the night before,
    you get terrible hangovers which means you can barely get your head up,
    and you look disgusting when throwing up in front of your mates or even the boy/girl you fancy.

So why do people still do it, baffles me.

I used to drink alcohol but I drank it because I started following my friends habit of drinking just to be drunk and to have a "good time" I stopped now because when i think of it I didnt even like the taste of any alcohol! There are some drinks that I do love (baileys and cosmopolitans) but that's because they taste like they barely have any alcohol.

So I am just interested to know why you drink and why you enjoy drinking and if you enjoy drinking to be drunk do you think you have low self esteem/confidence?
    I generally remember everything I did. I only forget a few of the more trivial details but then I'm liable to do that even when I'm sober.
    I very rarely get hangovers. When I do they are bearable, I had one of my worst the other day and I worked an 8 hour shift after only a couple hours shift.
    I don't throw up.

I also like the taste of alcohol, I only drink drinks I enjoy. Vodka orange, rum and coke, cocktails amongst a few other depending on my mood. Sometimes I do drink with the aim of getting drunk because sometimes its fun to just let loose and go wild. I don't need to be drunk to have a good time and don't drink whenever I go out but sometimes I like to be drunk when I go out. I tend to over analyse and if I'm not in the mood to go out the drink helps.

That and I like the feeling of being tipsy.

ReputationRep:
    I like the taste of really nice cocktails. Its not essential for a night out, but if there's a lot of ********s about peeing me off, then I need a drink or I end up getting mad and it ruins the fun.

ReputationRep:
    I drink it because being drunk is fun. I rarely get hangovers, I rarely throw up and I usually remember what I did the night before.

ReputationRep:
    Just to make me loosen up a little bit because normally i'm not quiet, but i'm not the loudest person in the world either.
    Its nice just to have a good time, but not go overboard. I dont like to feel awful the next day.
    Most of my friends insist on drinking beer or cider though, which i hate!

ReputationRep:
    I drink to fit in :sadnod:

ReputationRep:
    i become a more awesome when i drink

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eliot Rosewater)
    In my opinion, people do it because they are idiots. Anyone who uses alcohol as a social lubricant is an idiot.
    dude, remind me to give you +rep tomorrow. great comment :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I have seen people a very few amount of people drink alcohol because they like the taste the rest drink it just to get drunk..which i find it hard to understand because:
    and you look disgusting when throwing up in front of your mates or even the boy/girl you fancy.

'Getting drunk' and getting massively wasted are not the same thing. There's an enormous gulf in amount of alcohol needed to reach these states. I've never had a night where I can't remember what I did or had a massive hangover.

ReputationRep:
    to get rat-assed

Depends how relaxed I am. Sometimes it might be one drink; sometimes I just carry on drinking and never feel it. If I'm out I'm able to retain full control over myself after a goodly number of drinks.

ReputationRep:
    1. Alcoholic beverages taste nice
    2. The effect on your mind of having a couple of pints is a pleasant one and does little damage.

As said above there is a massive difference between enjoying a few pints and being a bit merry compared to drinking a bottle of vodka and not remembering what happened that night.

I like the taste, I like the buzz and I know my limit.

Only good things can happen when drinking alcohol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dinendal Leralonde)
    - I enjoy the taste (mainly for JD/Disaronno and coke)
    My flatmate gave me a taste of Disaronno and coke in the last week of uni. I slapped him for not introducing it to me sooner. :pinch:

Anyways, I drink to get drunk. There's nothing pathetic about it. You drink more, you gain confidence, you meet new people and everyone has a fun sexy time.

ReputationRep:
    To relax, have fun, and do things I haven't got courage to do whilst sober.

ReputationRep:
    It's all about experience.

I drink with moderation. It helps relaxes me because I'm really shy and makes me more outgoing and enjoy myself with my friends.

ReputationRep:
    A considerable number of reasons...

- To give me that little push in confidence
    - To relax at night and help me fall to sleep
    :gasp: Don't ruin Disaronno by putting coke in it!

ReputationRep:
    I am starting to notice these days (haha I sound so old) that people especially the young are drinking alcohol just to get drunk and I am starting to think its pathetic.

A friend of mine can only have a "good time" once she has gotten drunk which find sad in all honesty its like people have not confidence in themselves anymore it also seems to be more common in women then men.

I used to drink alcohol but I drank it because I started following my friends habit of drinking just to be drunk and to have a "good time" I stopped now because when i think of it I didnt even like the taste of any alcohol! There are some drinks that I do love (baileys and cosmopolitans) but that's because they taste like they barely have any alcohol.

So I am just interested to know why you drink and why you enjoy drinking and if you enjoy drinking to be drunk do you think you have low self esteem/confidence?
    You can get drunk and pished without these two things occuring.

Why i drink?

Cos it's fun and it's jokes when all of you are getting bladdered. Do i need it to have a good time? No.

But when your around your mates it's just fun.

ReputationRep:
    A considerable number of reasons...

- To give me that little push in confidence
    - To relax at night and help me fall to sleep
    God yes, it makes me insanely sleepy.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    The only reason anyone drinks is to escape the expectation of society. Your actions are greatly restricted by what is socially acceptable, and alcohol gives you a way to avoid this (to an extent). This is true regardless of confidence levels.

ReputationRep:
    All cocktails taste like cough medicine. I hate cough medicine.

I'll have a couple of beers with some crisps and some football. That's about the limit. There's no point on spending that much money on forgetting a night.

A couple of cups of bleach and banging your head against a wall for 10 minutes achieves the same effect.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.